back to article Pebble punts out new firmware to watch you as you sleep

Pebble delivered a major update today to its watches, which boast the biggest third party app ecosystem of any wearable platform. The update is in two parts: new firmware for the devices, and new companion apps for iOS and Android. Pebble had added a Health app to the watch, allowing third parties to use the biometric API. …

1. John Robson Silver badge

A useable smartwatch?

That strap looks as though it might make a smartwatch useable?!

Still slow and pretty small, but often you only want a small piece of information anyway. Can they detect finger extension, then I can get two and type on air ;)

1. kmac499

Re: A useable smartwatch?

A watch that's always on, runs for a few days between charges and is waterproof (round excl) whilst being relatively cheap compared to other smarties. Almost the perfect spec.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: A useable smartwatch?

Be carful what you wish for...

2. Yugguy

Wearing a gopping great big watch when you sleep?

Er no ta.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all in the wrist

"...logging arm movements as steps. Your reporter was pleased to discover he had logged 10,000 steps in a day without leaving the house..."

There's a joke in there somewhere...

4. Lamont Cranston
    Coat

10,000 arm movements?

What were you doing?

1. Ilsa Loving

Re: 10,000 arm movements?

Do you *really* want to know?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very few people are interested in smart watches

Pebble are simply trying to carve a small slice out of a very small cake. Even Apple won't release the figures of the number of watches its sold so its fair to say it was somewhat under expectation.

Depending on how you look at it smartwatches are either overpriced digital watches or poor underpowered smartphones with a screen thats unusable for serious data input (eg replying to a mail). And I don't need something on my wrist to tell me my phone is pinging - I can hear it!

1. marky_boi

Re: Very few people are interested in smart watches

Depends on your point of view and use case. I have the cheapest pebble time. I use it to buzz-alert me that I have a phone call or SMS in noisy environments. At night it buzzes while my phone is silent so my wife is not woken when I am on call. I have swapped out the sillicon band for a snazzy black stainless number and it does not look out of place with any clothes I wear.

read SMS or alerts bahhh needs me glasses for that, it needs a 47 y.o suitable font !!!

I have tried the crap cheapo android things on ebay and gave up. I looked at the prices of LG and Samsung thingies and almost died .... pebble very smartly takes the middle ground and it does it VERY BLOODY WELL !!! i get 7 - 9 days at a time on the battery. I have a good collection of watches from Swiss to Japanese and Pebble has carved out a valuable place in my collection.

6. Scott Broukell
    Joke

I purchased a Pebble from a pedlar called Pete in Peebles who probably pinched it and put it on the pavement with many peddled Pebbles and proceeded to pull in the punters.

7. Paul Herber Silver badge

> Your reporter was pleased to discover he had logged 10,000 steps in a day without leaving the house.

So pleased to know that watches are worn on the left wrist.

1. Duffy Moon
    2. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Remember, kids! Right foot is the one without the watch, m'kay?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like