back to article Israeli drones and jet signals slurped by UK and US SIGINT teams

The NSA and Britain’s GCHQ have access to the video feeds of Israel’s fleet of drones and aircraft, according to new documents. The spy agencies have intercepted data streams containing videos, pictures and GPS data from Israeli jets and drones since at least 2008, according to Snowden-supplied documents seen by The Intercept …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now if the Israelis would just agree to backdoors in their gear there would be no problems getting their images at all.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Yes, but can the NSA get free HBO using this technique?

More seriously, this is the kind of thing I would LIKE to see our sigint agencies doing. Penetrating the comms and data infrastructure of actual countries to get intelligence or better understand their capabilities. Instead, they spend too much time gathering data on their own citizens.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: Yes, but can the NSA get free HBO using this technique?

Amen. That is what the NSA was set up for long ago. The "war" on terror has become a honeypot for agencies interested in expanding their mission, power, and budget. Plus, it is no more definable or winnable than previous wars on things (rather than countries). Mass surveillance, whether by the US and UK or China and Iran, is wrong and unjustifiable, assuming you remember that justifiability requires justice.

1. goldcd

Loathe to say this, but 'agencies' should follow good project governance.

If you're going to come up with snappy project names, they should also have stuff like "success criteria"

Define what winning the "war on terror" actually would be, come up with a plan and mark the results of your actions against that criteria.

The bit that makes me cynical, is that if any effort was successful, then it would be surplus to requirements and wound up - and I can't help feeling that's not what those involved want.

Shit, I know my ideal project would be one that runs forever, continually gets more important with more money fed in and never ends.

Best solution I can come up with is to incentivize people to want to wrap up the project and the renounce the monthly pay-cheque. Solve the problem, don't oversee it.

1. x 7

Re: Loathe to say this, but 'agencies' should follow good project governance.

"Define what winning the "war on terror" actually would be"

kill all the terrorists, potential terrorists, their financiers, supporters and hangers-on.

There you are, simples

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Loathe to say this, but 'agencies' should follow good project governance.

"kill all the terrorists, potential terrorists, their financiers, supporters and hangers-on."

By the time you've finished killing everybody, feel free to commit suicide - after all, you'll clearly match my definition of a terrorist yourself.

I'll get my exploding coat on the way out.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

The "spying on their own citizens" bit was the justification for Snowden's slurp. Since these disclosures appear to be cases of spying on foreigners, why are they being published? Is it *now* the case that those with the data are now merrily publishing everything for the lolz rather than picking out just the examples that might apply pressure on the US government to rein in their spooks? Would those opposed to the NSA's internal spying now be better served by fewer Snowden-related disclosures? Are the Snowden archives now being used to discredit Snowden? (Let's face it, today's story is hardly a big deal. Israel isn't going to get hot under the collar about it and Iran probably expects it.)

1. NotBob

Being theoretically allied with Israel while spying on them could ruffle a few feathers. Might even have some other allies questioning their relationships.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Given the amount of spying Israel has done, and presumably continues to do, in the US, it hardly seems disproportionate.

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

Might even have some other allies questioning their relationships.

I suspect that questioning may have been taking place for quite some time. I seem to remember the NZ government being upset by Mossad operatives stealing NZ passports.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/jul/16/israel

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

But apparently none of those governments are concerned that ISIS has stolen passports and passport machines from Iraq, Syria and other places.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Wouldn't US slurping of Israeli intel...

..create the mother of all feedback loops?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Wouldn't US slurping of Israeli intel...

I think the Israelis simply invented a way of reducing their data storage costs

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Why send you're own drone when you can piggy back the feed from some else?

Of course the Israeli's will be p**sed.

Although unlike the American people they can probably do something about it.

1. GrumpyOldBloke

Re: Why send you're own drone when you can piggy back the feed from some else?

I am sure the Israeli's would be aware of it. It only becomes a problem if the US and the UK adopt foreign policy positions independent of Israel’s. IE Unlikely.

Re: Why send you're own drone when you can piggy back the feed from some else?

I'm sure the Israelis are relying on it.

Fly drone over suspected terrorist training camp / wedding.

Allow US to eavesdrop on data.

US agencies confirm to politicians that Israel is under threat and so should be given some more weapons which can be purchased from suppliers in your congressional district.

And ps.our funding should be increased because of all these terrorists "we"just found

5. x 7

this could work both ways......

don't forget the USA and UK are large purchasers of Israeli built drones - including the sensor suites. If we can hack the Israeli-flown drones, then they can certainly hack the ones they've sold to us

oooops

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

But maybe that's why we bought all those Israeli drones in the first place!!

Honest Bibi, this wasn't surveilling an ally, but more "taking a test drive"!

2. Roo
      Windows

"don't forget the USA and UK are large purchasers of Israeli built drones - including the sensor suites"

Where are those sensor suites and all their support equipment fabbed exactly ? Colorado, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, or China perhaps ?

Should keep everyone busy for a few years yet.

1. T. F. M. Reader

Where are those sensor suites and all their support equipment fabbed exactly ?

Probably in Israel, like your laptop's CPU.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are you trying to tell me that the country that NDS (now owned by cisco) tv encryption came from was able to be decrypted?

I've never done this on here but

O.o

Why? I'm sure better minds than the NSA's have had a crack at that one and the best they came up with was encryption sharing (cams)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm...

So... the US (and UK) could intercept the video stream from F-16's... which were originally supplied by the US weren't they?

Hmmm... gee I wonder if maybe there's a reason they could intercept them... :p

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SIGINT team

So who finds the drone's pid so the team can do their kill -3 magic? And is there a SIGKILL team for when things get really serious?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Anarchist training manual"

not much like the Anarchist Cookbook, is it ....

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: "Anarchist training manual"

No I hear Mary Berry is working on an updated version.

1. x 7

"Mary Berry"

Is that Chuck Berry's wife?

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

AFAIK Mary isn't related to Chuck Berry, nor Nick Berry of EastEnders (and Heartbeat) fame. And no, despite lots of people claiming that EastEnders should be classified as illegal, harm to the society was never proven.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Eastenders

The studies were inconclusive, I'll grant you that. However, shouldn't we err on the safe side?

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

I think we are all agreed. Nuke Walford from above.

1. x 7

nuke Watford at the same time just to be sure - after all there could have been an error of decryption and no-one cares about collateral damage nowadays

10. Blipvert

So is Israel a friend?

We spy on them and then build a monument for them!

Re: So is Israel a friend?

"It's complicated"

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: So is Israel a friend?

I don't think the two things are really related anyway. Spying on the friends seems to be a stock-in-trade of the intelligence services, everywhere, judging by the leaks. (And already told in those spy stories written by people who were in "the trade").

11. Robin Bradshaw

Why would you do this?

Why on an expensive drone or fighter would would you use analogue video with cut and rotate encryption? Is their next plan to upgrade the system to replace the h-sync with a 4MHz burst?

Surely in the 20+ years since this was state of the art they would have managed to drag their drones into the digital telemetry era, even the crap consumer ones from china are doing video over wifi now.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Why would you do this?

Probably because it was cheap and proven technology at the time the decision was taken to develop the drone. I.e. probably 10 years ago...

Also in most cases the data is not *that* secret as they are looking at "the enemy", and not at their own top secret bases, so probably it was deemed sufficient for that sort of job. After all, they (NSA/GCHQ/etc) can probably track the location of the drone no matter what encryption it uses, so they can guess at what they are looking at and send their own spy drone/satellite to look.

2. Rol

I could be totally wrong, but I imagine the ability to heavily encrypt signals would be rolled out to a more elite squadron, one that is secret and deployed strategically, like on the eve of a full scale invasion.

I just can't see the point of giving your enemies years and years worth of experience in trying to counter your best. No, just send the dumb tin cans along for now, and leave the strategic advantage for a time when it's needed.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Well yes. Encrypting secret information you've gathered isn't in the same league as encrypting your own. Unless of course you are a British bank.

... or a British ISP/telco. Yes, I'm looking at you Dido!

1. x 7

"... or a British ISP/telco. Yes, I'm looking at you Dido!"

I'm loathe to say it......but that idea looks a bit dicky to me

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>would would you use analogue video with cut and rotate encryption?

Macrovision were the only company in the district of the last politician to sign the bill

12. Rol

Listen up

Unless the signals were directed laser like, then an intelligence gathering outfit would find it almost impossible to not listen in, whilst going about their normal business, of listening to everything.

I think the phrase that should have come to mind was, "pick up", as in, millions of people around the world, pick up Radio 4. Not millions intercept Radio 4.

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: Listen up

"...millions of people around the world, pick up Radio 4."

I think that you spelled "BBC World Service" incorrectly.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Think about it...

An h.264 video stream is probably going to be about 3 Mbps. Within the resultant IP stream will be endless examples of 'known text', originating from the digital video well-defined format.

If Bletchley Park could crack the Enigma with mechanical switches because of standardized format German weather reports and the odd 'HEIL HITLER', then in the modern era one would have to take ultra-careful special precautions with such easily-recognized video formats and vast data rates. There would be dozens and dozens of large 'known text' hits per frame, hundreds per second.

How big is their Nonce as compared to 3 Mbps?

Re: Think about it...

If you actually cared you put a 1Tb SSD with random numbers onboard and XOR the data as you send it. For extra points in your GCSE homework you overwrite the numbers you have used with the video so you have a backup when it lands.

1. Rol

and the extra points exercise would also ensure the decrypting algorithm would not be on the prize list for shooting it down.

The decryption algorithm is XOR with an identical copy of the random data.

I think the Iranians already worked this out, probably around the time Caesar was a lad.

Re: Think about it... / Iranians, Caesar

Persians, surely.

And Alexander (yes, that one), probably.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why not 1TB (B=byte, b=bit) SSD?

But yes, the time is here when 'One Time Pads' will make a comeback. 1TB oughta be enough for anyone.

PS. Use local hardware noise source to generate the random data. Then shuffle it at every scale to ensure it's not biased.

14. Roland6 Silver badge

May 20, 2013!

It is probably testimony to the sheer volume of classified material that Edward Snowden extracted before he left the NSA (on May 20, 2013) that even now researchers are making significant new discoveries. It makes you wonder just how much is still to be sifted through...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like