back to article How to build a starship - and why we should start thinking about it now

With a growing number of Earth-like exoplanets discovered in recent years, it is becoming increasingly frustrating that we can’t visit them. After all, our knowledge of the planets in our own solar system would be pretty limited if it weren’t for the space probes we’d sent to explore them. The problem is that even the nearest …

1. Streaker

Van Allen Belts here we come!!

Wonder if the shields will take it Captain?

S

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sad reality

We've become too shallow to seek the stars any more, it's all about Profit and Self. A project as large as planetary and interstellar exploration requires sacrifice - it takes massive amounts of funding, massive amounts of time for research & development and massive amounts of commitment to get it all done. We are too impatient, too self-centered and too attuned to the Results Now mentality to do this type of hard, grinding, long-term non-immediately-profitable work any more.

Much sadness :(

1. Notas Badoff
      Pint

Re: Sad reality

In a comment below someone mentions asteroid mining. Yes, this and other "enterprises in space!" are indeed the answer. Why? Because no one - well, no majority vote - is going to suggest using 50% or even 10% of your GPP (gross planetary product?) for 'bullshit' like moonshots to exoplanets.

But if you get so much going on at ground-level plus all that's possible out in the home system, that's today's economy on steroids! Once you have even small two digit multipliers in effect, hey, who cares about splurging 1% of so much more than we had before? Catering to a vocal minority (like those durn explorationists) is much easier when it doesn't hurt (the politicians) at all.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The sad reality isn't that "We've become too shallow to seek the stars any more" but that it's just not possible without fusion energy, and although fusion research is still on-going we're still quite some way from a working solution.

Without a high efficiency energy source, where efficiency equates to duration, there's just no way a probe could accelerate for long enough to achieve a high enough % of 'c' to reduce the journey time to less than millennia before it ran out of fuel.

1. oldcoder

Well, that depends on how you do it...

Personally, I think a dive toward the sun, then use (rather large) magnetic fields to catch a ride on a solar ejection would get rather close to 1%, possibly faster depending on which one and how the energy is used (magnetic fields can act like springs...)

Suitable for probes...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"...a dive toward the sun, then use (rather large) magnetic fields to catch a ride on a solar ejection..."

I think not. Some numbers from Wikipedia: "The Sun has a magnetic field that varies across the surface of the Sun. Its polar field is 1–2 gauss (0.0001–0.0002 T), whereas the field is typically 3,000 gauss (0.3 T) in features on the Sun called sunspots and 10–100 gauss (0.001–0.01 T) in solar prominences."

...and...

"The Sun's dipole magnetic field of 50–400 μT (at the photosphere) reduces with the inverse-cube of the distance to about 0.1 nT at the distance of Earth."

For comparison: the magnetic flux density at the surface of a neodymium magnet is about 1.25 T

So, even discounting the issue of finding the energy to generate a large magnetic field for the probe, it's not going to have much of a field from the Sun against which to operate, even within the Solar System, let alone between the stars. And that's assuming that, instead of using high-mass radiation shielding, you can use the probe's magnetic field to protect it from the intense radiation it'll experience when it passes close to Sol.

2. Chemist

"Without a high efficiency energy source"

It's not just got to be efficient it's got to be as low in mass as possible otherwise a lot of that energy will be used just to accelerate the mass of the power source. This true at 'normal velocities' but esp. true near c.

3. Fatman

You did a fine job in expressing my first two points about the inability of humanity to """think big""", those being

1) Greed (in all of its forms, such as the intense desire to accumulate wealth, essential resources or political domination), and

2) Instant Gratification (patience is NOT a virtue, the I """must have it now""" mentality).

and, then we can include

3) Conflict (and the failure to avoid it),

4) Arrogance (in all of its forms, on a personal, organizational, religious or governmental level),

5) Indifference (to the plight/suffering of others).

If you can espouse others, then please feel free to pile on.

Unless, and until humanity can get these areas of concern resolved, then humanity is doomed.

Until humanity can co-cooperatively work to improve the existence of ALL of us, and learn to co-exist peacefully with one another. we are doomed to continue to repeat the violence and destruction that has plagued humanity since the dawn of recorded history.

One of the most visceral examples of that mentality in the past century. was espoused in the concept of a Master Race, and the evil that resulted from it being unleashed upon the world; and the resulting global conflict to destroy that evil.

The waste in human lives and the destruction of the planet, and the unleashing of new weapons of mass destruction, established a mentality of mutually assured destruction that gripped the world in fear for the last half of the last century.

That fear (of global destruction) has been replaced by a new fear of pointless mass killings by those who would impose their concept of 'tribal God imagery' upon others who do not share their narrow religious views with butchery as punishment for resisting such imposition.

As I have said humanity is doomed. It may be too late.

4. Uffish

Has anyone done some calculations on how many people would be needed to maintain an acceptable level of civilization so that, for example, clothing* could be replaced, strange infectious diseases could be treated, dropped mobile phones could be repaired/replaced, trans-new-world transport could be built and run, new generations could be educated and scientific /engineering progress maintained etc etc.

It seems to me that the numbers of people required for a successful autonomous colony would be impracticable, and that those left behind on Earth would be a bit reluctant to finance continuous re-supply missions.

*For example, stone age clothing was very low tech, today's clothing requires advanced agriculture, synthetic materials, specialized machinery, efficient transportation and (I think) specialized retail industries.

We need warp drive and replicator technology before even thinking of space colonization.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

300 people are needed for acceptable genetic diversity. Damned near everything else can be done by robots. Most of your colonists would end up biologists/medics or robotics engineers. The rest would be developers. You'd be surprised what you can do with robots when you have the budget. Even with today's technology. We really only use people for anything anymore because they're cheaper, or they have expertise in pattern recognition that is still too difficult to code and execute on silicon.

1. PaulFrederick

Developers? Steve Ballmer, is that you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhh_GeBPOhs

5. Alan_Peery

I am afraid I can't agree. Look at these projects:

1) LHC

2) James Webb Space Telescope

3) ISS

4) Worldwide climate modelling efforts

5) Serious discussions about moving towards a zero carbon world

All of the above are expensive, and the last will be expensive and painful.

Humans are tackling large scale problems, but not starships. Yet.

6. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

We've become too shallow ...

The malaise you're lamenting has been around for at least all of the Modern era (so for a few centuries in European and European-derived cultures). There are grounds1 for suggesting it has been the condition of humanity for all of history.

it's all about Profit and Self

Since those motivators are pretty much exclusively responsible for the technology we currently enjoy, it seems a bit rich to blame them for our supposed failure to put it to use.

1Essays from contemporary commentators bemoaning the laxity of present times, in comparison to some prelapsarian past.

3. Alister
    Boffin

Every sub-atomic particle has an antimatter companion that is virtually identical to itself, but with the opposite charge. When a particle and its antiparticle meet, they annihilate each other while releasing a huge amount of energy that could be used for propulsion. However, we currently cannot produce and store enough antimatter for this to work.

What you need are Dilithium crystals, they can contain and control matter / antimatter reactions.

I thought everyone knew this?

1. MrDamage Silver badge
      Headmaster

Oh, please.

We all know that dilithium crystals are inefficient, and trilithium crystals are the way to go.

2. AbelSoul
      Trollface

Re: What you need are Dilithium crystals

Too late, I'm afraid. The cat's eaten them, you see. (3mins 20 secs in)

4. David Webb

Coms

Isn't one of the main problems with sending a probe out to another star the distance for sending information back to Earth? Sure, it may take 36 years to get to another star system and start orbiting, but then it will take at least 4.3 years for the data to start coming back to Earth.

You not only need a probe which can survive getting to another system, but it would need to have some sort of AI to ensure that if any problems pop up, the probe can fix them itself without any human help, cause lets face it, waiting 8.6 years for a command won't work.

So, we need a probe that can last at least 36 years of interstellar travel. Be able to travel at 10% of the speed of light (avoiding any debris along the way, I figure if you hit even a tiny object at those speeds you're going to need more than a call out to the AA). An AI which can control the probe and react to any issue, including ones that us meat slabs haven't thought about yet. A way to communicate data over 4.3 light years without any loss of signal issues.

Probably not in our life times, but I think that eventually we'll be able to solve the issues, apart from the actual distance for communication from anything we send out there.

1. Graham Marsden

Re: Coms

> we need a probe that can last at least 36 years of interstellar travel. Be able to travel at 10% of the speed of light (avoiding any debris along the way...)

I wonder just how feasible (and how protective) the Ice Shield which Arthur C Clarke used in The Songs of Distant Earth would be at these speeds.

Anyone know?

1. james 68

@Graham Marsden

Just offhand I would recon an ice shield is a bad idea.

A small projectile at very high speed might punch a hole through a thin hull on entry and exit, perhaps vaporising an area 10 to 20 times larger than its size, so an object roughly the size of a marble would leave entry and exit holes maybe basketball sized.

But hitting a thick surface like an ice shield would absorb much much more of its energy vaporising an area maybe 70 to 80 times its size and also creating a very large explosion from the resulting superheated steam rapidly expanding.

(these numbers are NOT scientific but are guestimates based on watching a nasa/boeing docu about firing hypersonic projectiles from a very big gun in a vacuum into various surfaces/compounds)

1. hammarbtyp

Possibly, however A.Clarke was usually pretty good on his Maths and engineering so i wouldn't bet against it

2. Graham Marsden

@james 68 - Ice Shields

> hitting a thick surface like an ice shield would absorb much much more of its energy vaporising an area maybe 70 to 80 times its size and also creating a very large explosion from the resulting superheated steam rapidly expanding.

Ok, but explosions tend to take the path of least resistance, ie I'd think that the steam would expand forwards, rather than backwards and, of course, given the cold of deep space, it would probably then tend to freeze back onto the shield, with only some loss.

2. Chemist

"I wonder just how feasible (and how protective) the Ice Shield which Arthur C Clarke used in The Songs of Distant Earth would be at these speeds."

I've not read the story, but surely it's even more mass to have to accelerate

1. Graham Marsden

@Chemist - Re: Coms

> surely it's even more mass to have to accelerate

Clarke fiddled this one a bit by having the ship's drive use "Zero Point" energy.

1. DropBear

Re: @Chemist - Coms

Oh well, if push comes to shove we can always fall back to naquadah generators instead...

2. ocratato
      Alien

Try running the numbers on the power levels required to send a radio signal over interstellar distances - I don't think we will be getting a radio signal from our probes, we will need to wait for them to return with their data.

Hence, its likely that any such endeavour would not get any results in the lifetime of those that sent it. That would make it a fairly hard sell to get funding.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Hence, its likely that any such endeavour would not get any results in the lifetime of those that sent it. That would make it a fairly hard sell to get funding."

It's already hard enough to get funding for projects that won't be ready until after the next election. Can't have the opposition basking in the glory of a successful project that the current lot started.

I sometimes wonder if this is why so many government projects fail or go over budget or both. The incumbents don't expect to win the next election so deliberately sabotage them.

2. RIBrsiq

"Hence, its likely that any such endeavour would not get any results in the lifetime of those that sent it. That would make it a fairly hard sell to get funding".

Not necessarily.

Consider the situation faced by Majikthise and Vroomfondel when Deep Thought tells them how long it would take to calculate the Answer.

Admittedly, it would take a politician more talented than the common variety to properly spin things.

More practically, while the results of the expedition -- if any -- will only be learned by future generations -- if any -- the engineering developed to pull something like this off would be available for use immediately.

3. IvyKing
        Boffin

If we have the technology to build a probe capable of reaching 0.05 to 0.1c, then it would be no problem a large space based receiving antenna that can pick up the signals from a probe 4 LY away. This would also get it away from all of the earth based interference.

Since the DSN can pick up signals from 100 a.u. with 70m dishes, this implies that 70 km diameter would pick the same signal source from a couple of light years.

4. DropBear
        Trollface

"Try running the numbers on the power levels required to send a radio signal over interstellar distances"

Bah, humbug - we'll just have the probe modulate the luminosity of the local sun once it gets there - I'm sure we can receive that transmission...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Coms; gluons

We will have to wait 'till we know more, i.e. enough 'bout entangled fundamental particles, using gluons that bind them. Then we will be able to communicate ''instantly'' in ''real time''. It's possible but will take time to develop, and to develop/think of the theory behind it. Perhaps when we've gotten that far we will have solved the problem of ''speed''/acceleration also.

4. Long John Brass

MechJeb could do it

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cool article, simple, practical and clear. Easy question to go along with it..

While traveling at 10-12% the speed-of-light, is there any debris in space that we need to worry about colliding into? Chunks of Asteroids / Comets etc etc..

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Cool article, simple, practical and clear. Easy question to go along with it..

At a relative velocity of 10% C I suspect a grain of sand would be enough to kill a probe. It'll need a decent bumper on the front.

6. Richard Parkin

The author has the right idea but the wrong reasons. We need to search out intelligent life in other systems and destroy it before it come here and does for us!

1. Notas Badoff
      Alien

Survival

No need to invoke concerns about alien intelligent life as a danger for motivation. The simplest motivation is humanity (or parts thereof) surviving random events. Which can be presumed to occur much more often than "take me to your leader", given the witness of our planet's history. We must diversify!

7. JimC

The trouble is pace of development. Its a common enough science fiction scenario. You send off your slower than light starships, which will take 300 years to reach their destination, and 300 years later they get there, to be greeted by the crews of the FTL starships who had left base 3 months before...

1. RIBrsiq

@JimC

That's possible, yes.

But what is probable, given our understanding of the universe, is that if you keep waiting for FTL then you'll never leave.

Besides, if a ship with colonists from any part of the world 300 years ago were to sail into any port on the planet, wouldn't both humanity and the lost colonists be better off for it...?

8. Keith 12

Asteroid mining will make this happen, Ridley Scott (Alien) got there before us.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Nope. Jupiter Mining Corporation.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sack the Sub-ed.

This story:

"The concept is currently being revisited and updated by the ongoing Project Icarus study."

From the link in this story:

"The project was launched on September 30th 2009 at the British Interplanetary Society HQ in London, and is a five year study."

10. johnwerneken

Do it!

I definitely think a starship would be much more useful than say Medicare, or Apple.

11. Robert Moore

Discovery

I always thought the principles behind the Discovery, from the movie 2001, had potential.

Also not too far outside the realm of possibility. Although the HAL 9000 was probably a bad idea. Maybe use a Raspberry PI instead. :)

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Discovery

I still kind of like project Orion, maybe for rationalising the sheer insanity behind it.

12. Morrie Wyatt
    Mushroom

I suppose we should.

Make the effort to check out the local planning office at Alpha Centauri just to make sure no hyperspace bypasses are on display.

Beware of the leopard!

Icon? The power to get there, and the result of the demolition of Earth to make way for the bypass of course.

13. Johnny Canuck

Exotic matter

Bring on the Alcubierre drive!

14. Blofeld's Cat
    Coat

Hmm...

Perhaps we could build three starships.

Starting with the "B" ship of course...

1. RIBrsiq
      Happy

Re: Hmm...

It's only the 'B' Arc colonists that survive, mind!

1. Chemist

"It's only the 'B' Arc colonists that survive, mind!"

I think it was only the 'B' Arc colonists that were actually sent

Thanks Douglas

1. Salamamba
          Gimp

The rest of the population died from a telephone virus, as all the telephone sanitisers were in the B Ark.

1. Chemist

"The rest of the population died from a telephone virus, as all the telephone sanitisers were in the B Ark."

Ah, yes, I remember now.

15. roger stillick
    Joke

Do Forever= Launch better Starships yearly, Return...

Sarcasm alert= better check out the TV series "the Expanse" b/f doing anything...

Apparently even nearby space exploration with humans on board is next to impossible...

Traveling anywhere w/ hundreds of tons of nukes on board is even less of a good idea...

IMHO= Launch an "out there" improved robot interstellar probe yearly w/ lessons learned...

Joke Alert= Hope our robot explorers remember us until we develop workable Star Gates...RDS.

16. Rol

let's do this an inch at a time

Sure it would be great to fire the most sophisticated and technically brilliant probe at the stars and sit back, but odds are it will not survive the journey. No, send the cheapest crap we can get away with to map the treacherous route out, in fact send several. Then send the really expensive kit after them. The lead probes can then report back and thus give the important bit of kit the opportunity to navigate around obstacles.

As a bonus, any lead probes that make it through to the final destination could easily be commandeered by the main probe to scavenge their fuel, or re-purpose to explore further, or even be ordered to "halt" at an optimum point along the way, where they could then act as relay stations for Earth transmissions.

It's very exciting and something we're almost duty bound to carry out, as and when our capabilities make it an obvious no brainer.

17. Gene Cash Silver badge

"it's just engineering"

The only problem with ALL of these sorts of articles is they wave their hands and say "it's just engineering, we can't do it now, but it'll be a cakewalk in 10 years!"

Well, making a space elevator is known technology too. All we need is some incredibly high tensile-strength substance and we can build one. No problem!

But we don't have that, so we're stuck with rockets.

I also don't see the money being there, as unfortunately we have only one Elon Musk.

1. Suricou Raven

Re: "it's just engineering"

We do have the high-tensile-strength material - we just don't have a way to manufacture it in bulk and in consistent quality.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

One of the strongest and thinnest materials is spider silk. If we got all the geneticists and DNA-tweakers together to develop and breed giant mutant spiders ... Oh wait, where would we get the food necessary to feed them. I know - if we got all the geneticists and DNA-tweakers together to develop and breed giant flies ... (or bugs if preferred).

1. moonface
          Unhappy

The have mutant goats with spider genes. These are milked for spider silk. Its called BioSteel. Not sure its strong enough for an elevator!!

2. Fatman
          Joke

<quote>Oh wait, where would we get the food necessary to feed them.</quote>

How about starting with useless politicians and bureaucrats, followed by the worst C suite executives.

18. John Savard

Slower

10% of the speed of light would create difficulties we don't know how to address yet concerning the impact of the interstellar medium with a craft, according to one book on the subject I vaguely remember having read. 1%, however, would be quite doable.

800 years to get to Alpha Centauri (assuming constant acceleration, so the average velocity is half of the maximum) is, I admit, pretty discouraging. And if something that can go at 10% of the speed of light would be just a few years down the road, it wouldn't be worth launching. But that's a modest goal that we can be confident we can attain.

19. Deltics

2 Things

1) Such grand schemes are doomed as long as the world is driven by this thing called "Money". We need to evolve to a post-commerce civilisation before thinking on such a scale has any hope of leading to action.

2) It has to happen at some point otherwise we're all - as a race - doomed. Sol has only a finite life and once it's gone, there goes the neighbourhood.

In the meantime, it's lovely to see all those people in well tailored suits wringing their hands over a meter or two of sea level rise and a degree here or there of global climate change. But their self-righteous preachings and dictats to the world won't do much good when our local star runs out of fuel, at which point all those concerns about local "climate change" and "affordable measures" to mitigate (or, in some Cnutian fantasy, prevent it) without unnecessary "economic pressure" will be seen for the lamentable waste of oxygen and brain-power that they really are.

Not to mention that population pressure - if continuing to increase at current rates - will have killed the planet long before any of that amounts to a hill of beans anyway.

1. DanceMan

Re: 2 Things

I think volcanic events, giant ones like Yellowstone, will do us in many times before we need worry about Sol.

And I wholeheartedly agree that population pressure is an immediate and serious threat, and one that will overwhelm any thoughts of deep space exploration if we don't deal with it.

2. The Axe

Its amazing how we are living in such a well developed society with lots of nice high tech to play with. I wonder what created it? Oh, I know MONEY!

As for population pressure, that's decreasing. Malthusians bleat about the world being filled and it'll be the end of the world. Populations are actually decreasing (except for immigration) in developed countries as the pressure to churn out babies lessens due to the cost of raising children and the lack of a need to replace those children who die young.

1. Brian Allan

It's not the developed countries we have to worry about. There are still a lot of countries on this fine planet where large families are the norm!

3. Yag
      Devil

Well, we're all -as a race- doomed by the heat death of the universe after all, so why bother?

1. Havin_it
        Facepalm

>Well, we're all -as a race- doomed by the heat death of the universe after all, so why bother?

Well, in order to transcend this penny-ante universe and set up home in a better-built one, duuh.

4. strum

>We need to evolve to a post-commerce civilisation

No. All that's needed is to combat the notion that 'we're sending all that money into the void - never to be seen again'. This misunderstanding crops up, every time a space project is proposed.

But, as we all know, none of that money leaves Earth; it's all spent here, paying salaries, expenses, invoices. The senators with constituencies with NASA contracts understand this. We just need to spread the word.

5. Queasy Rider

Sol has only a finite life

I am really getting tired of that reference. Here we are, in this discussion, talking about our hopes and aspirations over the next few generations, (2-100 maybe) when somebody has to interject about the end of Ol' Sol. Talk about bad vibrations! We might not be around, but Sol is expected to be around for another 200 million human generations, so get with the program... how long can we last, and how far can we go?

20. mr. deadlift
    Coat

you know...

...if it weren't for the dark ages, we'd be there by now.

1. Alister
      Facepalm

Re: you know...

you know...

...if it weren't for the dark ages, we'd be there by now.

Is that the dark ages that happened between 1972 and the present day?

as in, the last time a human managed to go further than LEO

2. Queasy Rider

I've been saying something similar for decades, except I go back ever further. Knowledge is cumulative. What if warring mankind hadn't made a habit of utterly destroying their vanquished enemy's cities? Think of all the bits of knowledge locked up in all those cities, turned to ash, having to be discovered again. I believe Jesus could have been preaching to Romans on the moon.

1. Queasy Rider

And it's not just the bits of knowledge lost, but the great minds snuffed out, their potential discoveries postponed for untold generations, Archimedes comes to mind as just one example. What a waste.

1. Queasy Rider

I know this comment is late and very few will read it but I just had to link to articles posted on Feb. 28th in Sciencemag http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/01/math-whizzes-ancient-babylon-figured-out-forerunner-calculus, and Popular Archaeology http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/winter-2015-2016/article/ancient-babylonians-used-geometry-to-track-jupiter revealing advanced Babylonian maths exceeding anything used in Europe preceding the 14th century.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. you know...

Fair point.

To be fair the Plague didn't help, aka Yersinia pestis.

Killed off many promising young minds, some of which might have prevented the purges and Inquisitions that followed had they lived.

I have some ideas on HTSC that might yet work, including using a modification of intercalated graphene but with heavy metal layers alternating to keep the charge density waves under control.

Its actually based on an earlier idea to do with observations in graphite suggesting under certain conditions that Li ions could possibly act a bit like hydrogen ions under certain valence levels.

1. Lysenko

Re: Re. you know...

I find it interesting no-one ever considers that there is potentially a genetic engineering answer to the problem of getting humans to other stars. Immortality. We've had immortal human cell lines (e.g. HELA cells) for decades. Scaling that to an entire organism doesn't require rewriting the laws of physics just ethics and that's a much more malleable area.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On the other hand the plague helped increase the value of labour and meant an end to the Surf system in Western Europe and so propelled humanity to a new era of development.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

I just misread that as ending the Smurf system in Western Europe. Which lead to some very strange mental images.

It could have lead to some fun films though. Robin Hood Prince of Smurfs anyone? Everything I do, I do it for blue.

OK, I'll stop now.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

heh heh... someone should totally make that now.

It would be awesomlarious.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"and meant an end to the Surf system in Western Europe"

Would that be the detergent or the fun sport on waves ?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Coat

Many poor serfs were oppressed by the evil Sir Finn Safari...

22. Tony S

I'm working on that

There have been suggestions that asteroids are the way to go; not just to be mined, but because they could also be the basis for a suitable vehicle which would save a certain amount of time and effort in construction.

I have a copy of a book by Bill Shatner; it talks about the various technologies that were predicted within the various Star Trek series. During filming for some episodes of ST:TNG, Professor Stephen Hawking was doing a tour of the USA and was invited to do a cameo appearance on the Enterprise. After filming completed, he was invited to tour the various stage sets and one of these was the "engineering" section with the iconic "warp drive". Apparently, he looked at it very carefully, before announcing that "I'm working on that!".

For anyone that might be interested, he was also the guest speaker at the Reith lectures. I believe that these will be available on the BBC website for the next 3 weeks (a transcript is also available). He has a very dry sense of humour; it's well worth listening to the broadcast.

23. chivo243 Silver badge

Wake me when we get there

I don't think we will see anything like what we see in the movies. Remember what happened to Bender in Godfellas, I would think the debris in space will be the Achilles heel to going to where no man has been boned before...

1. RIBrsiq
      Joke

Re: Wake me when we get there

I don't know how long interstellar travel will take to perfect, but I think necromancy will take even longer.

24. jwillis84
    Go

The Stars are Closer than we ever Thought

The FOCAL mission would put a telescope at the Focal point of our Sun's gravitational Lens at 500 AU

http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=785

At that distance Stars and Planets light years away would appear close up and in robust detail, best of all however is the Light from all those objects far far away, tens, hundreds and thousands of light years away has already made the trek to us. We will never be able to make a telescope larger than the Sun itself even if we used all of the materials in the solar system in one collosal engineering project.

And we are not able to remotely assemble 3D objects with light beams yet, however every Star has a Focal point just outside its ring of planets. Someday we just might be able to send beams of light across the distance to assemble machines in the distant regions of space just outside other solar systems... without ever launching a space vehicle.

Today we merely think of breaking things down or heating them up with lasers and microwaves, or dream of pulling them around with tractor beams.. but if we ever do get 3D printing on a grand scale.. Focused on another FOCAL lens.. we might just "beam" probes into other planetary systems.

25. 's water music

project Icarus

Is it just me or would anyone else feel uncomfortable climbing aboard a star ship named for Icarus? Just like I wouldn't buy a digger called Sisyphus.

1. oldcoder

Re: project Icarus

Why not? It would never break down... always usable for digging.

26. Mark Fenton
    Flame

Another science free article from the conversation

Why all the re-hashed science free/lite stuff from the conversation?

El Reg of old would have discussed things like the recent innovations and discoveries with regards impulse engines - giving us constant acceleration (ok, low acceleration - but still, it adds up pretty quickly) drives without a reaction mass.

Lets have some proper hard science in the science section of El Reg rather than a piece saying, essentially "wouldn't it be nice to go to another world".

27. MT Field
    Thumb Down

Please no more re-prints from "The Conversation"

28. VinceH
    Alien

"If we ever found evidence suggesting that life might exist on a planet orbiting a nearby star, we would most likely need to go there to get definitive proof and learn more about its underlying biochemistry and evolutionary history."

If we don't want them anally probing us, we shouldn't be thinking about doing the same to them.

29. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Has nobody read this?

Charlie Stross' article on space colonisation The High Frontier, Redux.

TL;DR version: we haven't a clue how to do it, just a load of utopian handwaving hot air, and that's before you consider the economics or the politics.

30. aregross

I remember reading something a long time ago (80s?) that stated to build a starship, like the Enterprise (NCC-1701), would take 30 to 50 years and the combined effort of the entire Human Race to build... provided the tech and materials were already in place to construct it. I doubt very much that'll happen.

That being said, I've read nothing in all this about ion-propulsion drive. I was under the impression that it was the most energy efficient type of propulsion. However I'm not sure what speed it could attain.

31. Havin_it

Daedalicarus

>Unlike Daedalus, Icarus will be designed to slow down at its destination

Haven't they got this the wrang way aboot?

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If we just want to send a probe to find out what is there, then why not just invest in better telescopes first. We have large telescope arrays already, on Earth. Build them on the moon, on Mars, on asteroids far, far apart and use them collectively to really see these other planets in detail.

The engineering and space technology just to do that alone would greatly improve our future space faring outlook, and we'd have a much better idea of where to send the probes once we can do so.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe, instead of getting a small part of ourselves to another star, we will end up taking all of ourselves to it. I mean our entire solar system. If we can make the sun propel itself somehow, and avoid carnage, we could get closer to other systems whilst in the comfort of our own planet.

Too radical ?

34. Camilla Smythe

Trah-La-La-Lah....

Can we just sort out the problem of back doors to encryption first?

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wait for the 2nd or 3rd one ....

You just know that the first one will be launched several months before a major break-though, and will inevitably be overtaken en-route - maddening

36. Brian Allan

"Then, perhaps sometime in the middle of the 22nd century, we may be prepared for the great leap across interstellar space and reap the scientific and cultural rewards that will result."

Assuming of course that we don't annihilate ourselves in the meantime...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like