back to article SpaceX breaks capsule 'chute world record

A couple of days ago, SpaceX successfully tested its Crew Dragon capsule parachute system, as it advances towards manned vehicle certification as part of NASA's Commercial Crew Program. The Crew Dragon 'chute drop over Arizona was a quiet affair compared to the recent test of the next-generation fire-breathing Dragon 2, …

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Happy

This one goes all the way up to 11...

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Spinal-knock

Seems a tad complicated to me, and probably as effective as Nigel Tufnel's knob.

But what do I know, I'm no rocket scientist.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The correct number of parachutes to own is n+1

Maybe they're just building in redundancy - 3 is enough, 4 is better?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: The correct number of parachutes to own is n+1

Nah, it's like a four-leaved clover - it's luckier than the regular 3-leaved variety!

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

It is - different redundancy models.

Soyuz has a full parachute backup for its one and only. Apollo could land (albeit quite bumpy) after losing a chute. 4 chutes look like adding an extra redundancy +1 to the existing 3 on the unmanned one to get the required reliability for man-rated landing.

1. Stoke the atom furnaces

"Apollo could land (albeit quite bumpy) after losing a chute."

Apollo 15 did loose a chute :-

http://www.universetoday.com/103983/apollo-15-stand-by-for-a-hard-impact/

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

Advanced alien technology?

The NASA Blog talks of "The mass simulator and parachutes were released thousands of feet above the ground from a C-130 cargo aircraft. "

By 'mass simulator', do they just mean a big weight, or have they some sort of Einstein-worrying technology? If the latter, what the hell are they doing messing around with rockets?!

- https://blogs.nasa.gov/commercialcrew/2016/01/27/spacex-tests-crew-dragon-parachutes/

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Advanced alien technology?

Yes, by 'mass simulator' they do mean a big weight.

Source: I've been known to act as a 'mass simulator' myself in testing elevators and office chairs.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mass simulator

nah ... it's just that if the engineering doesn't save you, maybe the prayers will :-)

4. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Retire parachutes?

"until space agencies finally retire the tech"

Somehow I wouldn't want to sign the order for 'No, we don't need backup 'chutes any more, our retros are 100% reliable."

Personally, I can't see 'chute retirement in the foreseeable future ... just imagine the Congressional hearing if there was an incident and a private company exec said 'we excluded backup parachutes to save some money and weight." End of contract, end of company.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Flame

Re: Retire parachutes?

That's easy. If the chute failure happens above Congress, and then the rockets turn out to work after all, once it gets to about 50 feet say, then you've solved the Congressional enquiry problem at a stroke.

I'm torn between the flames and black helicopter icons here. If I never post again, I picked the wrong one...

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Safety tip: black helicopters are for suburbs and rural areas. In urban areas its windowless white vans. Although Toby Esterhase always preferred to use mail vans.

1. x 7

"Toby Esterhase always preferred to use mail vans."

being Hungarian he didn't like to pay for things. The mail vans were free. Sort of.....

2. rh587

"Somehow I wouldn't want to sign the order for 'No, we don't need backup 'chutes any more, our retros are 100% reliable."

To be fair, they're not claiming 100% reliability. Which is why Dragon 2 has 8 motors in pairs - a main and a spare at every point.

Of course there's no point taking parachutes to Mars (that being their end-game) because at 0.0006 atmospheres they won't save you if the rockets fail, so the rockets need to be a man-rateable level of safe and reliable.

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

> Somehow I wouldn't want to sign the order for 'No, we don't need backup 'chutes any more, our retros are 100% reliable."

You won't need to. Chutes are part of the design as last-ditch backups (retros are used for manouvering, so if they don't work you have enough warning to deploy chutes) and for launch escape use (retros used as an escape rocket until fuel-out, capsule comes down under chutes)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But why are they all red and white?

Russian or American, private enterprise or state-sponsored, all the parachutes are red and white, albeit with different patterning.

1. Mark 85

Re: But why are they all red and white?

Simple... visibility. What color would you have them?

1. DropBear
        Trollface

Well, for one, they're clearly missing the central blue disc with fifty small stars...

2. Fibbles

They look orange and white to me...

3. DocJames
        Thumb Up

What color would you have them?

Well, I'd suggest you [re]watch "The spy who loved me" for some inspiration.

6. GBE

Deployment speed?

The voice over said the chutes deployed "just as they would" on a real mission (or somesuch).

That implies that the capsule is somehow going to slow to an airspeed comparable to a C-130 before deploying the chutes. That's around 300kts. That's _slow_. How is that phase (slowing from reentry speed to 300kts) going to happen?

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Deployment speed?

"How is that phase (slowing from reentry speed to 300kts) going to happen?"

The same way that it's always been done.

Aerodynamics. Yes they do have some. Apollo and soyuz chutes deploy at about that speed too.

7. ukgnome

If only we could construct a reusable vehicle that could glide in the Earthen atmosphere. It could be used to shuttle astronauts back and forth.

If Only.....

If we did I would name it the Space BusPlane

1. James Hughes 1

Tried that, it was a bit crap and a lot expensive.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like