back to article dotCloud dotGone: Ex-Docker PaaS passes away amid bankruptcy

Platform-as-a-service upstart dotCloud will shut down next month after its parent Cloud Control filed for bankruptcy. Just a few hours ago, an email was sent to dotCloud users warning them that the service will end on February 29, along with a link to instructions on how to migrate their data. For those wondering if the …

1. Steven Roper

Too bad if you've outsourced your company's IT to such as these

This is just one prime example of why my company will never store our data in the cloud or adopt anything as-a-service.

1. Lysenko

never ... adopt anything as-a-service

Not even space? I'm not being sarcastic - I'm thinking CoLo.

People have been outsourcing the physical hosting of their servers along with associated power, cooling and network backbone services in third party data centers for decades. If one of them suddenly blinked out of existence then re-locating all that computing hardware would arguably be a bigger headache than just porting data somewhere else.

Doesn't happen often with CoLos of course because there is a tangible asset involved (the DC) and that gets sold on as a going concern. "Cloud" can be fragile because there are too many entirely virtual outfits with no tangible assets backing them up. That's fundamentally from the AWS and Azure cloud propositions.

1. Warm Braw

Re: Re-locating all that computing hardware

A few years back, when people were building bit barns with wild abandon, several of those with the most-obviously-hopeless business cases went bust without warning or any prospect of being taken over as a going concern. One of the first hurdles their hapless customers faced was proving to the receivers that they actually owned the kit and were entitled to remove it elsewhere. At least in this case, the customers have been given some notice.

Being dependent on one external supplier for anything is always a risk...

1. Lysenko

That hasn't crossed my path personally, but I don't doubt it has happened. Most CoLo users I deal with have redundancy so if a BigData Inc. DC goes down for any reason there's a HugeData Inc. hot standby which has to be at least 100 km away.

The point I'm making is this isn't really about cloud vs. CoLo vs. in house. It's about redundancy. People without DR plans get burned no matter where or how they implement their systems.

1. Dr Who

Spot on! However we arrange our infrastructure we are all unavoidably dependant on a host of third party services from the power grid to communications networks to payment processors et cetera. If we forget the word cloud and replace it with internet, we are of necessity all using it. Having a bunch of servers in your own data centre is only the tiniest piece of the jigsaw.

2. Starace

Cloud doing what clouds do

It really shouldn't come as a surprise that clouds abruptly evaporate into thin air.

Or that people get rained on in the process.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Cloud doing what clouds do

Vapourized water condensating into rain - cloud gone, people wet...

And that's why I do not like to store my data on someone else's system.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Cloud...

Other people's computers you have no control over

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like