back to article Sight for sore eyes: Dropbox lands on Win 10 with iris recognition

Microsoft Windows 10 users are about to get more done with Dropbox on their PCs, notebooks and tablets. The file sync-and-sharing service is using Win10’s universal app architecture to run its new application across devices of all shapes and sizes. The software's features include: Drag‘n'drop files from Windows Explorer into …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Down

So now Condoleezza Rice wants my retinal image in addition to my files?

Pass.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Indeed... like I'm EVER going to trust Microsoft with my fingerprints or iris-scan...

1. The Original Steve

On a serious note, your biometrics never leave your hardware. One of the few things Microsoft don't slurp by default admittedly...

1. Graham Marsden
          Big Brother

@The Original Steve

> One of the few things Microsoft don't slurp by default

... Yet...

1. Halfmad

Re: @The Original Steve

I find it ironic that people have a dig at Microsoft when MS have taken the US government to court in order to protect data from non-US citizens from being accessed by the US government when it's held in Ireland.

I think they deserve some credit for that personally, very few companies anywhere in the world would bother with it.

1. Wensleydale Cheese
              Unhappy

Re: @ Halfmad

"I think they deserve some credit for that personally, very few companies anywhere in the world would bother with it."

Yes and no. They'll lose a lot of customers in the EU if they simply accede to US requests for data. They aren't doing this from altruism.

2. TimeMaster T

And you know this for a fact how?

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

You know the option to sync your biometrics to MS' servers so you can log in with your MSN ID and looking at the camera/putting your finger on the sensor while on other computers is coming.

It just requires a tickbox on the login screen which looks so easy and useful and who wouldn't want to do that? And just so enterprises don't go apeshit, an enterprise version set by group policy so the computer syncs biometrics to a local server instead of MS.

2. Kurt Meyer

@NoneSuch

Have an upvote for the sentiment, but I must point out that Ms. Rice is now enjoying that lucrative post governmental phase of her career.

1. h4rm0ny

>>"Have an upvote for the sentiment, but I must point out that Ms. Rice is now enjoying that lucrative post governmental phase of her career."

She is indeed. As a director at Dropbox.

2. Graham Marsden
    Holmes

The Accused, M'lud...

... did deliberately and wilfully close his eyes and refuse to look into the camera when instructed to do so, thus denying us access to his files...

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Pah. I'll just change my biometrics when they get compromised. Eyeballs grow back, don't they?

4. Jess

Drag and Drop

Hasn't RISC OS done that since the late 80s?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Drag and Drop

The funny thing is you can drag and drop from Explorer to Dropbox but not from Dropbox to Explorer, Universal Apps don't allow it.

1. Geoffrey W

Re: Drag and Drop

Neither can you synch your files locally if using the Universal App (UA). This is because UAs are sandboxed and dont allow access to the local file system. So it may be a nicely written program but it has less functionality than the regular desktop app so when on a full windows computer its still desktop app for me. Personally I think Microsoft is going to have to do something about this if UAs are ever going to be genuinely useful on regular computers.

5. Frank N. Stein

Thanks, but I'll just go to the website instead of an unnecessary biometric Windows 10 app.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or you just choose not to use it.

6. TRT Silver badge

Steve Austen...

That's who we're talking about here, right?

7. Garry Perez

Assmetrics

Microsoft,

you may use my ringpiece as a biometric dataset. I'm pretty certain its unique and It would give me great satisfaction mooning to my PC everyday to logon

loving yours

G

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Assmetrics

Facial recognition is built into Windows 10.

8. bdesouza

Win 10 is a product that has NOT been through tested prior to release. There are multiple complaints of the "Start" button not working for almost a year, and apps being arbitrarily disabled or inaccessible, without any definitive fix released, or even an official comment by Microsoft. I would not recommend anyone trust this product until, perhaps, Win 10 Version 10. And even then, with caution.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like