back to article Brit boffins brew nanotech self-cleaning glass

Scientists from University College London (UCL) have developed a high-tech glass intended for self-cleaning, energy-saving windows. A team led by Dr Ioannis Papakonstantinou has coupled "pencil-like, conical nanostructures engraved onto the glass" with a photochromic 5-10 nanometre film of vanadium dioxide. The nanostructures …

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Question

...is transparent to infrared light below around 30°C but as its temperature increases gradually becomes more reflective. The UCL team summarises: "During cold periods stops thermal radiation escaping and so prevents heat loss"

Does this read wrong to anyone else? I understood that thermal radiation is infra-red, and therefore if the glass is transparent to infra red when cold, heat _can_ escape through it. (unless you have the window directly over the radiator and your central heating thermostat at a toasty 35C+?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: Question

Yup. Picked it up to say the same:

The vanadium dioxide coating, meanwhile, is transparent to infrared light below around 30°C but as its temperature increases gradually becomes more reflective. The UCL team summarises: "During cold periods stops thermal radiation escaping and so prevents heat loss; during hot periods it prevents infrared radiation from the sun entering the building."

So it's handily obstructive (reflective) when cold but handily obstructive (reflective) when hot then? Handy.

1. Joe Werner Silver badge

[quote]The vanadium dioxide coating, meanwhile, is transparent to infrared light below around 30°C but as its temperature increases gradually becomes more reflective. The UCL team summarises: "During cold periods stops thermal radiation escaping and so prevents heat loss; during hot periods it prevents infrared radiation from the sun entering the building."[/quote]

Well, without having read the journal article itself I can only assume (well, it was my first guess) that they refer to the temperature-dependent spectrum of black body radiation (Wien's displacement law), where the wavelength of the maximum spectral energy density is inversely proportional to the temperature of the black body.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I don't think Wein explains it. It seems like old Reg has just got a bit befuddled and condensed two unrelated statements into a single bizarre non sequitur.

2. James Wilson

I think it's cr*p phrasing but does actually make sense. On a sunny day heat mainly enters windows via radiation, but leaves by conduction and convection. We get round the heat loss by double-glazing etc., but the amount of heat entering is largely fixed. With this glass they're saying that when it's cold it's transparent to IR, hence all the available radiation passes through, however when it's warm it's reflective so the heat remains outside. "escaping" is an unfortunate word to use.

3. Tim Bergel

As I recall, the radiation from the sun arrives at the outside of your window with a lot of energy in the short-wavelength part of the infra-red spectrum. This goes straight through ordinary glass and I expect this stuff too. The re-radiated heat is of course coming from a much cooler system so the infra-red is of the long wavelength variety and this doesn't go through ordinary glass at all well - which is why greenhouses work.

So they are saying (rather badly) that this is something that acts like ordinary glass and keeps heat in when its cold, but lets the heat escape when its hot.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think it's all to do with vanadium dioxide's anomalous reflectivity:

Natural metamaterial looks cooler when heated

A special coating that can hide its own temperature from thermal cameras has been developed by researchers from the US. The technology relies on the temperature-dependant reflective properties of vanadium oxide, a material that undergoes extreme electronic changes at a specific temperature. When heated from room temperature to 80 °C, the material's thermal radiation rises normally up until 74 °C, before suddenly appearing to drop to around 20 °C colder than in reality. The rather surprising result could have potential military applications, including camouflage, be used in communication systems and help with future metamaterial research.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2013/oct/25/natural-metamaterial-looks-cooler-when-heated

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Christ on a stick! That'd be one hell of a "hot period" if your windows exceeded 74°C

Must be for a few years from now when that AGW is in full effect.

1. druck Silver badge

Something in direct sunlight can easily reach 74°C, that doesn't mean the ambient air temperature is anything near that.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Something in direct sunlight can easily reach 74°C

No it can't. Not "easily" and not your windows.

2. Vic

the material's thermal radiation rises normally up until 74 °C, before suddenly appearing to drop to around 20 °C colder than in reality. The rather surprising result could have potential military applications

Bugger the military applications - I want a teapot coated in the stuff...

Vic.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"It's currently estimated that, because of the obvious difficulties involved, the cost of cleaning a skyscraper's windows in its first five years is the same as the original cost of installing them."

That's the same pitch I get from solar panel salespeople and far be it from me to point out the obvious but how would he know if they haven't put them in production yet?

1. Craig Chambers

They don't discuss the new windows here as they don't need cleaning. The sentence seems clear to me.

It's currently estimated - as in right now - if you install standard windows on a skyscraper, the costs of cleaning them over the next 5 years is the same as it will cost you for their installation.

I infer from this that paying more for glass that does not need cleaning and saves on your energy bills, when it becomes available, is a long-term investment that may cost you less in the long run. Obviously the cost of the self-cleaning glass is an important aspect of this calculation.

1. Mark 85

Which, is a reasonable expectation... long term savings. However that does run counter to the corporates who build these things... short term profits. More cost in building won't allow them the profit and bonuses.

However, there's is a good case for this tech.. less heating and cooling costs, less cleaning costs. If one can penetrate the corporate mind, it's very practical.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"It's currently estimated - as in right now - if you install standard windows on a skyscraper, the costs of cleaning them over the next 5 years is the same as it will cost you for their installation."

Pilkington have been making and selling self-cleaning glass for quite a few years now so I'd imagine anyone who has built a skyscraper recently would have already used that glass and have some real world figures on the economics.

The thermal properties of the new glass may or may not have an economic impact. That remains to be seen if they manage to scale up production.

3. Electron Shepherd

Cleaing Costs for Skyscapers?

I'm sure those who build these things have very good reasons for it, but I've never understood why skyscraper windows have to be cleaned from the outside. Surely some sort of mechanism could be included in the frame to allow the whole panel to rotate 180 degrees, so that the outside side is reachable from someone on the inside?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cleaing Costs for Skyscapers?

Maybe having opening windows 80 storeys above ground isn't a good idea ?

1. Electron Shepherd

Well, yes, there is a safety aspect, but I would have thought that

a) some sort of locking mechanism could also be used.

b) dangling on a cleaning rig outside the building 80 storeys above the ground isn't risk-free either

1. Gruezi

Some windows on some skyscrapers have this central pivot you talk of. However above a certain altitude, the relative air pressures and wind blowing high vs no wind at the bottom would cause a rush of air out the window if you open it. (Imagine papers etc flying out!)

Another factor is having someone flip open the window inside some exec's office to clean it may be a tad disruptive...

1. BebopWeBop

Another factor is having someone flip open the window inside some exec's office to clean it may be a tad disruptive...

A BOFH's wet dream......

1. Roq D. Kasba

Formby last sighted leaning on a lamppost

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

They are not real windows. They are bolted to a simple structure, not properly framed. More like tiles.

The cost (and more importantly weight) of replacing the lattice which carries the glass panels with proper framing for something like the Gerkin or the Shard will be astronomical. It is much cheaper to put rails around the top, crane on them and get a couple of madmen to clean it (I get nausea from the mere thought of looking down from the cleaner platform).

3. Charles 9

"I'm sure those who build these things have very good reasons for it, but I've never understood why skyscraper windows have to be cleaned from the outside. Surely some sort of mechanism could be included in the frame to allow the whole panel to rotate 180 degrees, so that the outside side is reachable from someone on the inside?"

They MUST be cleaned from the outside because of pressure differential. Think of a skyscraper, especially high up, as like an airplane. There's a positive pressure inside the building versus the outside. So skyscraper exteriors above a certain elevation are hermetically sealed to contain the pressure. The last thing you want to do is break a window at 1000 feet up. It'll cause quite an air blast. I recall a story once of a Toronto guy ramming a skyscraper window (about 25 stories up), breaking it thanks partly to the pressure differential, and falling to his death.

1. Electron Shepherd

"skyscraper exteriors above a certain elevation are hermetically sealed to contain the pressure"

That makes no sense. You would need to hermetically seal the whole building, not just the upper floors and that is probably impossible, and even if it could be done, would make getting in and out rather tricky. When was the last time you went into a tall building and had to go through an airlock?

In any case, even if it were true, the pressure difference from ground level at 1000 ft is about 4%, nowhere near enough to "create quite a blast".

1. Charles 9

At the ground floor, the pressure is at equilibrium, so people can come and go freely. Within a few floors or so, the differential is not significant enough, so windows there theoretically can be opened, though they usually remain closed for reasons of climate control. As you climb up, the building's interior is set up to limit air egress back down to the ground (the mostly likely candidates are the elevator shafts, stairwells in really tall buildings tend to be clustered, limited to so many floors at a time), allowing the air pressure to be maintainable despite the altitude.

PS. Don't take my word for it. Ask the MythBusters, who confirmed the Toronto skyscraper incident. The pressure differential at 1000ft is just over 1/2psi, but note the size of those skyscraper windows. 1/2psi times thousands of square inches equals quite a few pounds of ultimate force on those windows.

2. DropBear
        Trollface

"a Toronto guy ramming a skyscraper window (about 25 stories up)"

...as if we need any more proof that blind faith is always a bad idea...

4. Rol

Self cleaning glass has seemingly been available for many years, as I distinctly remember the news about a coating that basically Teflon's your windows.

I must also assume it is bloody expensive and only practical for luxury liner's portholes and other hard to reach places, as I have never heard of it since.

Until I looked for:- Windows coating cleaning

1. Darren B 1

Self Cleaning Glass

We have SCG on our Conservatory Roof (circa 2007) We have had it cleaned by the window cleaner twice in that time (and not for any real reason). IIRC it added about £3 - 4K to the total cost instead of plastic.

Not sure how good it is to be honest as I rarely take any notice of it but I do know it doesn't collect algae like the plastic roofs and i have never noticed a large amount of water marks.

2. Cuddles

@Rol

"Self cleaning glass has seemingly been available for many years, as I distinctly remember the news about a coating that basically Teflon's your windows.

I must also assume it is bloody expensive and only practical for luxury liner's portholes and other hard to reach places, as I have never heard of it since."

The difference is that this isn't simply a coating, various kinds of which have indeed been around for a while and hit the news every now and then, but the actual structure of the glass itself. Coatings can wear off, but unless someone starts sanding your windows down this is likely to be a lot longer lasting, as well as not involving any toxic materials and so on. While they do discuss a coating as well, that's actually an entirely separate thing and it probably doesn't help their case by mixing the two up; the nano-structures are what make the glass self-cleaning while the coating just helps block IR radiation, and either could be used independently.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Meh

Odd I seem to recall Pilkington doing this a few years ago using Titanium Oxide

This is certainly novel.

Is it better?

I'm not sure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Odd I seem to recall Pilkington doing this a few years ago using Titanium Oxide

TiO2 is a proven technology for self cleaning glass, and advertised as such by all the makers of TiO2. Easy to apply to the glass during manufacture. Also applied to glass bottles during manufacture to increase their resilience to bottling line handling.

Seems to me that this is just like lasers - a solution looking for a problem. And a department wishing to big up its "nano-" credentials. Any sensible builder should avoid such "ground breaking technology" like the plague.

6. 2460 Something

To move the tech forward, UCL has secured five-year grant from the European Research Council, to "fabricate smart windows on a large scale and test them under realistic, outdoor environmental conditions".

OK, so where do I send the measurements? Oh and can you fix the dodgy hinge on the window in the attic velux whilst your at it please.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Self cleaning Windows

Not from Microsoft then.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about Bird Shit?

When that hardens you've really got to get vigorous with it!

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: What about Bird Shit?

ITYM "white dielectric material" ....

2. I have my niche

Re: What about Bird Shit?

This is where the titanium dioxide acts as a catalyst on current SCG, oxidising the organic products and then waiting on the rain to wash off the loosened guano.

The ultra-hydrophobic vanadium oxide coating may make the bird muck bounce off like that anti-peeing paint. So it never sticks. Look out below!

9. Stevie

Bah!

So, does the Frank Herbert heat trick and is self cleaning? Boffo!

Now if only they can stop it exploding when anyone says "mattress" ...

10. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

George Formby hangs up his bucket and sponge

...keeps ladder

1. Warm Braw

Re: George Formby hangs up his bucket and sponge

I'm sure it will be more entertaining than continuing to practice his cleaning on a lampost at the corner of the street...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think that George's little ditty beat The Police's 'Every Breath You Take' to be the first song about stalking.

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

There's still another player in market. I hear Mr Woo is a window cleaner now. ( Having moved out of provision of clothes cleaning business.)

I daren't look at the actual lyrics of a George Formby song - I fear what i found to be lighthearted nonsense when as a youngster I listened to old 33s is likely somewhat offensive "old fashioned values" now.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

'I daren't look at the actual lyrics of a George Formby song - I fear what i found to be lighthearted nonsense when as a youngster I listened to old 33s is likely somewhat offensive "old fashioned values" now.'

In that case you'd better avoid Blackpool rock.

Turned out nice again!

11. Steve Button Silver badge

Limited lifetime.

In 10 or 20 years we'll have robots doing this kind of work. Safer and cheaper. Could even clean at night or weekends or holidays and would not charge extra.

1. Charles 9

Re: Limited lifetime.

Until they malfunction and fall 1,000 feet to the street below. If you've seen a tower crane collapse, you've got a decent idea of what'll happen; a whole lotta ugly.

12. Nigel 11

This glass for solar panels?

There should be another application; the glass in solar PV panels.

They need to self-clean as well as possible, so dirt does not block light from the panel. They also need to stay cool, because efficiency drops as they heat up.

The best place to put them is a desert, but deserts are typically hot, dry and dusty, and water in a desert is an expensive commodity. Desert panels need to be washed, and if this glass means they could use less water to wash them just as well, that's a big advantage.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: This glass for solar panels?

"The best place to put them is a desert, but deserts are typically hot, dry and dusty, and water in a desert is an expensive commodity. Desert panels need to be washed, and if this glass means they could use less water to wash them just as well, that's a big advantage."

Being dry and dusty would that not mean they just need to be blown clean? I'd have thought the dust blowing about in a desert is not likely to be sticky stuff.

The adaptive thermal barrier might be helpful but IIRC there are existing coatings/techniques which are cheaper because it doesn't really need to be smart to keep the panels warm during cold periods.

1. Vic

Re: This glass for solar panels?

Being dry and dusty would that not mean they just need to be blown clean? I'd have thought the dust blowing about in a desert is not likely to be sticky stuff.

Rather abrasive, though...

Vic.

13. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Resilience

My concern would be how resilient the coating is long term - will it last when abraded with wind-blown dust for instance? Will the greasy imprint of the nutty pigeon 'fall off' my window or will the coating be permanently etched where the impact took place?

14. Nixinkome

This article and it's comment stream are truly pleasant to read. I am particularly pro the solar panel farm applications. It's a shame that we're already at Thursday!

The one bugbear I foresee is of human 'cussedness' disrupting such improvements just because they are targets. Squirted gooey mess removers anyone?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Screw skyscapers

I want this for the windows on my car, especially the windshield!

16. x 7

it might stop the windows from dust stains, but can it protect against the biggest problem: bird shit?

17. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Very clever, really hope it will work out. But I hope they will stop calling them (shudder) smart windows.

1. DropBear
      Trollface

hey, let's all get hip!

By the same token of obtaining enhanced properties in a material purely by altering its structure, I propose we start calling trusses "smart beams", gussets "smart corners" and bolts "smart rivets" henceforth! Who's with me...?

18. Old Handle

So they're only self-cleaning when it rains? It seems like one could make that claim about normal windows. I'd be curious to hear something more quantifiable about how much better these really are in that regard.

1. Mark 85

Rain is actually the enemy of glass since it picks up contaminants and becomes slightly acidic. Over time, this etches the glass and reduces transparency.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

...and additionally, rain picks up the crud in the air and deposits it on the glass as the rain drops evaporate off. The self cleaning glass already around and this new stuff is hydrophobic to some level so the dirt doesn't precipitate out of evaporating water droplets. The water droplets run off immediately taking the crud with them.

IIRC the Pilkington self-cleaning glass does something with ultraviolet that "loosens" any dirt that has managed to attach itself to the windows so a bit of water such as rain will wash it off.

1. Charles 9

But as noted, how will will the glass surface stand up to direct surface abrasion from, say, a sandstorm (and we know how abrasive blown sand can be since it's used as a paint stripping technique). Plus, as noted, what about acid rain, which normally starts etching on contact?

19. Ru'

1. Installing Windows on a skyscraper (version 10 presumably)? Surely destined to end in tears...

2. Going up a high building makes your ears pop, so I'd be surprised they even try to maintain ground level atmospheric pressure throughout. For example, going 43 floors up where I live is about a 20 millibar drop according to my phone app.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon