back to article Spluttering UK net neutrality movement gets breath of life

Efforts to get the net neutrality bandwagon rolling in the UK continue, with new predictions that ISPs are set to charge content providers for faster loading. The current dog eat dog market for broadband will make a two-tiered model too tempting for cash strapped providers, according to a report by Jupiter Research analyst Ian …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dillon Pyron

Their own services?

ISPs priotizing their own services? Wouldn't that be restraint of trade? AT&T could roll their own IPTV (which they will be doing soon) and charge the networks to be carried. And the networks would have to pay to be seen. So they have cash coming in and the competition is being throttled.

That's why we need net neutrallity.

2. Mike VandeVelde

solution

Solution - nobody bothers with whatever upper tier the networks put in place, everything stays the same as it is now (except the networks are out whatever they spent building the upper tier and pushing it). The backlash should be against any website that coughs up to throttle everyone else's bandwidth by pushing through their own bits. Leave the networks out of it, focus on the idiots who would consider signing up for upper tier service. If nobody dares to use the upper tier, it will wither on the branch, and everyone can sleep soundly. If this ridiculous idea does gain traction, then I guess we'll have to work harder building out the wireless mesh networks to the point where the networks are irrelevant even sooner than they otherwise will be. Regardless, the best this has to look forward to is fad status.

3. Bob Jones

Brown - Save Us!

If Brown wants to win over the techy vote, put forward a bill making net neutrality law.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

in the longer term...

Of course, if there was enough bandwidth in the first mile this debate would have no meaning. But all the time access to services is strangled by shoestring broadband there is a myriad of excuses for prioritising traffic according to source, destination or content. Market forces are an imperfect mechanism at the best of times and in the short term - until we get universal FTTP - we are going to have to rely on Ofcom to sort out any cartel that might appear. I'm not sure I should be putting my shirt on that.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like