back to article Space podule outfit inks Arizona launch deal

US space flight firm World View has announced it'll be launching the balloon-lofted passenger podule from a new facility in its home state of Arizona, dubbed "Spaceport Tucson". According to this report, although Florida and New Mexico "both offered incentives to lure the company out of southern Arizona", the Pima County Board …

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Alternatively...

Dirt-poor southern state subsides trips into near-space for billionaires?

</strop>

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: Alternatively...

Or even "subsidises" ... doh!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

not entirely sure how the economics and/or politics work but I suspect this is more "dirt-poor southern state competes with other states to keep company in the hope that billionaire visitors will, in the future, spend lots of money in their state on high-altitude ballooning, hotels, food and lots of other sales-tax earning things" ...

1. wayward4now
          Terminator

Arizona?? Did someone mention fruits and nuts? They have very little water and should only be a truck stop or two there to service the folks heading east from California before it slides into the Pacific.

2. hplasm
    Meh

Good luck with the FAA...

"US space flight firm World View has announced it'll be launching the balloon-lofted passenger podule from a new facility in its home state of Arizona, dubbed "Spaceport Tucson"."

just like LOHAN...

3. x 7

am I the only one who read the title as "space poodle"??

and by the way, shouldn't the quote read "For $75,000 a poop, customers will enjoy "Wi-Fi, a bar and a lavatory""

what a shameful waste of helium

4. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Unhappy

"the world's first purpose-built stratospheric ballooning facility"

well, sure. They are first NOW... And they don't even have an autonomous ballocket.

Thanks, FAA. [/sarcasm]

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Spaceports

spaceports everywhere... I launched some rockets on new year's eve - does that make my back yard a legit spaceport?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Spaceports

Yes, there does seem to be an over abundance of spaceports which have never actually seen a launch into space yet.

6. A K Stiles
    Meh

Timing?

Maybe by the time the FAA have granted LOHAN permission to launch, this facility might have been built and then there'll be a purpose-built ballocketing location, instead of, you know, just some measly space-port with an arse-hanger.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Timing?

That'd be nice, wouldn't it?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's just another way of reducing

our ever diminishing supplies of helium.

What are the parents of tomorrow going to use at kids parties when it's all gone?

1. MyffyW Silver badge
      Coat

Re: It's just another way of reducing

What are the parents of tomorrow going to use at kids parties when it's all gone?

Hydrogen should make any party go off with a bang.

....I'll get my coat

8. John Robson Silver badge

a few pumps and cylinders could be added

To bring the helium back again - but then you'd probably have to lose a passenger (or the pilot)

9. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

"size of a football stadium"?

Come on, El Reg, that's supposed to be 231539821.9338 Bulgarian Funbags or 158.3927 Olympic sized swimming pools...!

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: "size of a football stadium"?

Nicely calculated, sir.

1. Graham Marsden
        Happy

@Lester Haines - Re: "size of a football stadium"?

It wasn't difficult...

2. Mark 85

Define "football stadium". American? British? Brazilian? Size is important.... or so I've been told.

1. x 7

is a "brazilian" football stadium one where the playing surface is smooth clay, not grass?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A bit worried about this

There are a couple of things that worry me about this project. When it first aired in El Reg I commented that if the headline photo (same one used in this article) is anything to go by then the occupants are likely to end up suffering from severe motion sickness; far from floating around serenely, it's clear from that headline photo that the 'podule' is swinging rather badly.

Now, just as worrying, there's an (artist's) image of the podule apparently ascending/cruising beneath a deployed and inflated parafoil... Um, well that's not going to work because deployed like that the parafoil canopy would simply collapse and, what with the inevitable twisting and spinning during ascent, would leave the tethers to the canopy badly twisted; there'd be little chance of the canopy successfully inflating during the descent. Moreover, with that configuration, there appears to be no scope for a backup canopy, let alone a smaller drogue chute to stabilise the podule before deploying the main chute.

But then, even assuming that they actually have a more practical deployment scheme, the use of a parafoil ensures a relatively high horizontal speed at touch-down; the landing is going to be more than a little bumpy so unless you're strapped in with a full five-point harness you're going to be injured as the podule tumbles across the ground. I wonder how much repair work to the podule is going to be needed after each landing.

1. druck Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: A bit worried about this

Yes, the video conveniently fades out before what we can assume is a very rough landing.

And a massive thumbs down for wasting that much helium.

11. wayward4now
    Childcatcher

radiation??

jus' wondering what the exposure would be.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like