back to article Cat vids return to Pakistan as YouTube turns on censor-matic

Pakistan has allowed YouTube to traverse its digital borders again, after Google agreed to oversight by the nation's telecoms regulators. Pakistan barred YouTube in 2012, after the film Innocence of Muslims hit the service and sparked often-violent reactions to its supposedly blasphemous content. The nation decided it could …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Unhappy

Independent thought: Banned/monitored

Adult consent?: Nah!

It's as if religion was just made up bullshit.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Pakistanis can therefore watch cat videos again. And can continue to marry 16 year-old girls"

wow way too old

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Saudi Arabia doesn't have an age-of-consent nor a minimum age to marry... You only require parental consent. And given that in many areas of the country, women and children are property, it isn't all that rare that parents will give their daughter to someone as a gift.

A former coworker of mine found out about that after getting some guys daughter to celebrate the signing of a multi-billion dollar partnership deal between our company and theirs. Once he returned to the US, he enrolled her in a boarding school and emancipated her (She was 12 at the time). The whole deal actually hinges on their staying married. Good thing for them that adultery and cohabitation aren't illegal here...

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Great that she is being looked after and everything. However any company accepting such a 'present' for a deal is just encouraging them to keep these archaic practices, but I guess the billions spoke more to them and some other company would have jumped in anyway,possibly with worse results for the girl. Lovely world we live in.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Muhammad says: Pray to Mecca.

Muhammad says: Stone an infidel.

Cut your own hand off! Ahhhh, I didn't say Muhammad says.

4. Graham Marsden
    Flame

And can continue to marry 16 year-old girls

What? You mean like can happen in the UK? Damn those extremists...!

1. jzl

Re: And can continue to marry 16 year-old girls

Not quite. In the UK, the marriageable age is 16 all round, with parental consent. In Pakistan, it's 18 for boys and 16 for girls.

Besides, when an act of parliament is struck down by a bunch of clerics because it is "blasphemous" then you can claim the situation is equivalent.

Note that they didn't just complain about the law. They had - and exercised - the power to strike it from the books.

5. BrownishMonstr

Ahh...'Blasphemy'. The ultimate word. They can use it to their own advantage and then get the rest of the country on their side just because the rest of the country are too scared to be 'blasphemous'.

1. k317

Blasphemy, Terrorism, Patriotism

Use the right keyword and you can pass any law you you want.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Don't forget "paedophile".

2. Roj Blake Silver badge

In fairness, as well as being an awful film Innocence of Muslims was specifically designed to anger Muslims.

1. jzl

> "In fairness, as well as being an awful film Innocence of Muslims was specifically designed to anger Muslims."

So what?

Jeremy Corbyn was specifically designed to anger David Cameron, but I don't see the PM burning effigies or rioting. These people need to grow up and get thicker skins. Their god is presumably big enough and old enough to protect himself.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

"Their god is presumably big enough and old enough to protect himself."

Any God would not need puny humans to do his work for him. Massive assumptions are made in their name.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps, but I think a lot of the people that Govern Muslim countries, and perhaps Muslims themselves, go overboard on matters that are a non-issue and yet don't treat more serious matters in the same light.

The response to that film, and also a lot of the cartoons, is way too overboard. Inciting hate and anger isn't right but there was still no need for any of those responses.

7. Mike 16

Pakistani eyes

How, exactly, would they keep such videos away from the eyes of my neighbors and co-workers in the U.S.? Even just the ones of Pakistani origin.

Not that The Donald and VP Palin won't try something similar after the election.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like