back to article Amazon cloud increasingly powered by hot air

Amazon Web Services' aspiration to power its clouds with not much more than hot air are closer to fruition, after the company flicked the switch on its first wind farm. The 150 megawatt facility on Fowler Ridge in Benton County, Indiana starting pumping out electrons on the first of January when it made over “1.1 million …

1. Mark 85

I take it that the wind farm is complete yet based on this: “1.1 million kilowatt-hours of renewable electricity.” Or maybe the site should have been closer to DC if there wasn't enough hot air?

2. frank ly

Subsidy?

Does the US have any kind of subsidy for electricity generation from 'renewables', where you get paid more than the standard price when you feed your generated electricity into the grid? I'm wondering what the capital repayment period is for a project like that and the ongoing ROI.

3. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

The Wind keeps the Clouds moving

Nothing new here then.

4. John Robson Silver badge

Quick sum...

The 150 megawatt facility on Fowler Ridge in Benton County, Indiana starting pumping out electrons on the first of January when it made over “1.1 million kilowatt-hours of renewable electricity.”

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=150MW*24h&meta=&safe=active&gws_rd=ssl#safe=active&hl=en&q=150MW*24+hours+in+kwh

3.6 million kWh

So it's running at <30% nominal load, which seems about typical.

Why don't they just call it a 50MW facility?

EIT: Actually seems to be quite high!

The normalised load factor for UK onshore wind farms declines from a peak of about 24% at

age 1 to 15% at age 10 and 11% at age 15. The decline in the normalised load factor for Danish

onshore wind farms is slower but still significant with a fall from a peak of 22% to 18% at age 15.

On the other hand for offshore wind farms in Denmark the normalised load factor falls from

39% at age 0 to 15% at age 10.

From http://www.ref.org.uk/attachments/article/280/ref.hughes.19.12.12.pdf

Of course not having to deal with the humidty and sea air of northernm europe probably helps.

Maybe it should be called a 20%150MW farm?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Quick sum...

Peak capacity is different to a normalised load. A car may have a 145bhp engine but the 'normalised load' would be a fraction of that. Doesn't stop it being a 145bhp engine.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Quick sum...

But that's the normalised *demand* - not the normalised capacity.

I am working on the assumption that windmills just throw everything they can at the grid...

5. Pirate Dave Silver badge

Indiana windmill farms

I remember the first time I rode through that area on I-65 back in 2010. Hadn't been through there in about 4 years and I don't think there were windmills in 2006. The massive size and scope of that windmill farm is mind-boggling. Two-hundred-foot tall windmills as far as the eye can see. It's quite surreal.

6. inmypjs Silver badge

"That juice feeds into the local grid, which in turn nourishes AWS bit barns in Virginia"

That juice feeds into the local grid when it is windy.

When it isn't windy the AWS bit barns in Virginia use the grid as an enormous and expensive battery which someone else pays for.

7. Dave Hilling

I dont know the exact loss rate of lines running from Indiana to Virginia, but I would bet if thats where the power was really going you would be losing over 50%...the real answer is its fed into the grid, and they are offset for what the farm they own generates.

1. John Robson Silver badge

"I dont know the exact loss rate of lines running from Indiana to Virginia, but I would bet if thats where the power was really going you would be losing over 50%...the real answer is its fed into the grid, and they are offset for what the farm they own generates."

Grids run at high voltage precicely to reduce the long distance transmission losses - US losses are about 6.5% (very small change 1997-2007, so I assume it's still about that

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like