back to article China names the date for dark side moon landing

China has let it be known its Chang'e-4 lander will touch down on the dark side of the moon some time in 2018. State-directed organ Xinhua reports that the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense has picked the year after next for its landing. Chang'e-4 will land on the dark side and stay …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Good for them

Up with this kind of thing.

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
      Trollface

..so long as they don't disturb the alien base.

Or at least keep it a secret if they do.

1. MacroRodent

Re: ..so long as they don't disturb the alien base.

Or the Nazi base (see "Iron Sky" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034314/)

2. Jos V

Had to...

I know I know. But it was in the Floyd pictured album in eclipse where the text ""There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark." came from. Shall we keep it as the FAR side of the moon then?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Had to...

The Chinese article (English version) says:

"It will be used to study the geological conditions of the dark side of the moon."

We have to take them at their word, don't we?

1. DropBear
        Joke

"We have to take them at their word, don't we?"

Of course not, don't be silly. They'll have a whole bunch of black-on-black photos to prove it...!

1. weegie38

I believe Mission Control's colour scheme is really funky. Every time you try to operate one of the weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

(with apols to DNA)

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

The original title of DSOTM was 'Eclipse'. Another album of that name was released around the same time so they had to change the title. The rest, as they say is history.

3. Francis Boyle Silver badge

"Shall we keep it as the FAR side of the moon then?"

But then El Reg would be compelled to illustrate the article with a Gary Larsen cartoon and nobody wants that do they?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Brent Longborough
    WTF?

Just one question

I assume that "dark side of the Moon" means "the side that faces away from Earth", since no side of the Moon is permanently in the dark.

How are they going to communicate with it when it lands?

1. stuartnz

Re: Just one question

Maybe an orbiter is planned as well, for communication relays?

1. mhenriday
        Pint

indeed, 嫦娥四号 (Chang'e 4) is the name of the lunar orbiter - what its lander will be called has not yet, AFAIK, been released....

Henri

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dark spot of the Moon?

Although there is no dark side of the Moon, there are a few spots which are "permanently" (ie for 10^9 years or more) in solar shadow.

See eg: http://spie.org/newsroom/technical-articles-archive/4178-seeing-in-the-dark-exposing-the-moons-permanently-shadowed-craters

3. gzuckier

Since we can't see the far side, how do we know it isn't always dark? Maybe there's a big umbrella.

4. gzuckier

And after successfully landing on the dark side of the moon, there will be race to see who can land on the dark side of the sun.

4. Lars Silver badge
    Alien

I doubt

I doubt they will find any of this around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wmJsXO7Qeg

5. Alan Mac

Space exploration is fascinating. I wish more countries did it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Curious timing..

Chinese buy up Legendary Studios then announce flip side landing ETA......wonder if Nolan will be directing this time round?

7. Alister

Hopefully not too similar: the “Jade Rabbit” lander dispatched on Chang'e-3 experienced a mechanical control abnormality and then broke down completely after only a couple of months' operations.

Given that the Jade Rabbit was China's first attempt, I find the tone of the above a bit strange. "broke down completely after only a couple of months" seems to suggest this was somehow a failure.

When you look at how many NASA landers and probes failed to function at all, the fact that Jade Rabbit lasted a couple of months seems to me to be worthy of praise, not condemnation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I noticed it too. Two months working time for a first attempt interplanetary rover is more than adequate for success.

1. DocJames

interplanetary rover

Does going to the moon count as interplanetary? Genuine question.

I too am in awe of the engineering that was as successful as 2 months working life after launch, space travel, landing...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Does going to the moon count as interplanetary? Genuine question."

Maybe someone predesignated the Moon as a dwarf planet?

2. Alister

Does going to the moon count as interplanetary? Genuine question.

My personal view is that you would have to travel outside of the furthest orbit of any planet's moon(s) to really count as an interplanetary journey, but I'm not sure that's the widely accepted definition.

2. mhenriday
      Boffin

As a matter of fact,

玉兔 (Yutu - English translation : Jade Rabbit) did not «br[eak] down completely after a couple of months' operation» While the rover found itself unable to as planned move its solar panels to the insulating position during Lunar nights, thus exposing internal components to the lunar cold, as of the end of October 2015 it was still transmitting and had set the record for the longest operational period of any lunar rover. Is it too much to ask that Mr Sharwood checks the facts of the matter before posting articles to the Reg ?...

Henri

8. nilfs2
    Joke

They are looking for new customers

They want to manufacture cheap, low quality alien gizmos

9. Stevie

Bah!

So, still no people, then? Just the equivalent of a radio controlled go cart with a kid's shovel on the front.

Glad to see China has lost the vision too. For a few years I was afraid they'd beat everyone else back to the moon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bah!

That depends on whether you get your "vision" from science fiction, or if you are interested in actual science. Operating rovers on the moon for more than a few days is challenging because of the large temperature variations, and nothing has landed on the far side yet. They will need an orbiter for communications.

1. Stevie

Ooh, and do you think Science Fiction is Star Wars and Babylon 5? Good hit!

But, not so much SF as extension of been there, done that. Or did you forget we've shown that people can go to the Moon and camp there for a bit before coming back?

The challenge you speak of is uncontestable, but doesn't detract from the essential boring nature of yet one more luggage trolley in space.

The real challenge that just about anyone on the planet could get behind, either for or against, would be to put people on the far side of the moon.

This Moon Roomba simply oozes Meh.

1. gzuckier

The true purpose of the mission is to find the Lunar Rover we left behind so they can copy it.

2. gzuckier

That's where the Chinese advantage is. Being on the far side of the earth, they can see the far side of the moon.

Consider; we here on the near side of the earth can see the near side of the moon; but we can see neither the far side of the moon, nor the far side of the earth. Obviously the situation is reversed in the case of China.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like