back to article NY to Charter: Sure, we'll approve that TWC merger, if you boost our broadband speeds

The state of New York has given its blessing to the proposed merger of Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications, winning itself a nice boost in network speeds in the process. The state's Public Service Commission has signed off on the proposed $78.7bn mega-merger with the condition that the TWC-Charter conglomerate …

1. Erik4872

Proof will be in the execution

Having grown up in the upstate (non-NYC) portion of New York, all I can say is "good luck with that." For those who are unaware, the upstate and downstate parts of NY are 2 different worlds. Upstate NY is very thinly populated in some places, and economically depressed in many others. Getting working, reliable 100 Mbps broadband to some of the little villages in the Adirondacks is going to be a challenge, let alone 300 Mbps. And the economics of providing broadband upgrades to decent-sized cities that are losing population and lacking people willing to pay for it is also going to be interesting.

I imagine it will work for metro NYC (and maybe Albany.) The contract probably specifies "average aggregate bandwidth" or some other clause to get them out of properly lighting up every single hamlet. At least it's cable, so it's a little easier than providing wireline DSL service.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Proof will be in the execution

I'm betting that Syracuse, Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, Schenectady, and a few other bigger cities will all get gigabit fiber to the premises service.

The rest of the state will remain unchanged, maybe with the "optional install fee of $43,900 to bring fiber from the field to your horse barn, plus costs to have leprechauns push the photons down the fiber".

Meanwhile, our bills will go up to fund the "super expensive, contractually required, and don't help you at all one bit" rollouts in the big cities...

1. Mark 85

Since they have "most favored state", I would also expect that everyone in rest of the country will get a increase charges to pay for this. And those folks out in the boondocks will still be stuck with the equivalent of dial-up.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm betting that Syracuse, Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, Schenectady, ...

And any other SUNY / CUNY towns/countys...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly what I was thinking, as was going to post about. Have an upvote.

"The state's Public Service Commission has signed off on the proposed $78.7bn mega-merger with the condition that the TWC-Charter conglomerate promises to increase the average network speed in New York state over the next four years."

TWC "promises".

Good luck with that expectation.

Suckers.

3. Crazy Operations Guy

Worked for two years in Upstate New York in the city 10 miles west of Elmira (I am under an NDA to not mention the company name, which is also happens to be the name of the town its headquartered in), I could barely get 16 Mbps with TWC. The only other option was satellite, the phone lines were so poor that not even dial-up would work right, let alone DSL...

After working in NYC for the two years before that, I am fully in support of upstate split just north of White Plains and either becoming a state unto itself or absorbed into one of the neighboring states.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: north of White Plains

Things (read as internet access, general technology and communications et al) usually don't get bad until you are north of central Dutchess or Orange counties. So a split after that would be OK; also, anything south of that is now pretty much an extended 'suburb' of NYC anyway, thanks to abhorrent levels of gentrification and overdevelopment of lovely farm communities.

2. Mark Zip

@CrazyOperationsGuy

.. cough... Corning .... cough

4. Mark Zip
      FAIL

Long-time Upstate resident here.

I live 6.2mi (about 10km) from the NYS Thruway, one of the main 'net backbones in the state.

TWC has the local cable franchise/monopoly and they are hard-pressed to deliver my promised 25mbs.

They ain't getting anywhere *near* 100 mbs any time soon.

And because we are talking state-wide average, they can deliver 1Gbps to a just few buildings in the urban areas and still neglect their aging infrastructure in the rest of the state.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As somebody who has lived in New York City for the past 15 years and has been a customer of 4 or 5 different cable companies I know that this will make not one iota of difference.

My bill will remain at $50-75 per month (2-3x higher than in other countries) for an advertised 50-100Mbps service which will actually deliver 15-25 when it is working perfectly and <1 Mbps when it is stressed i.e. Friday and Saturday evenings, holidays, bad weather, etc.

This because the vast majority of users have cable service, not ADSL, and therefore share underprovisioned drops in building basements or street corner drops. Even friends with Verizon FIOS which is advertised as fibre to the consumer have constant issues. This is because most consumers have one or, at most two, providers to choose from and therefore the vendors have the monopolists contempt for competition, service, and pricing.

2. PJF
    Devil

NY Thruway pipe?

Didn't TWC have a deal w/Cuomo to use the Thruway R.O.W. for a line from the City to Albany to Buffalo?

Yeah, we "promise" to boost speeds - just turn the rotary switch from 1 to 2, then to 3 then to 0..

But then again, IF they f-around, Cuomo can make their "existence" a living heck - you need a permit for this, that and the other thing. Drowning them in red tape until they cry "Mario".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: NY Thruway pipe?

Drowning them in red tape until they cry "Mario".

More red tape just delays things and makes them more expensive, and if there's two things US ISP monopolies love doing, it's delaying things and making them more expensive.

3. gregoryg1

TWC Rips Customers Off

TWC totally ripped us off and charged us $100 for an ancient cable modem that we *supposedly* didn't return, however the facts are we made an upgrade to our service in early 2015 which included internet phone, so a technician came by and installed the new modem/phone service which is integrated into a single unit, then took the old antiquated Motorola Cable modem we had been renting from TWC for about 10 years (probably paying 10x what it was worth new over those years) with him when he left.

TWC stopped charging us rental for the cable modem after the upgrade and we heard nothing else about it until we moved into the apartment upstairs many months later, whereupon changing our address, all old data from our TWC account available to us online was deleted and no longer exists, no paper trail for the customer, and TWC then began claiming we never returned the Cable Modem. What a perfect scam, delete all customer records available to them, then start claiming items were not returned.

We contested this claim, but talking to TWC customer service is like talking to a brick wall; useless. TWC never dropped the issue, even though we've been customers for over a decade who never, ever paid one single bill late, and finally sent it to collections. At this point we had to pay for this extortion perpetrated by TWC as otherwise it might ding our perfect credit rating.

Great way to treat honest long term customers; TWC are thieves and extortionists!

4. paulf
    Holmes

Weasel words?

FTA (my emphasis): "...the TWC-Charter conglomerate PROMISES to increase the AVERAGE network speed in New York state over the next FOUR YEARS"

Can anyone see any ways TWCC can wiggle out of those commitments once the merger is sealed, irreversible and can only be enforced via sue balls.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like