back to article Going on a date, and it's just the two of you? How ... quaint. OkCupid's setting up threesomes

It can be tough to differentiate yourself in the increasingly crowded dating app market. Which means niches. And OkCupid believes it has found one. Eschewing any pretense that the majority of dating apps are actually looking for the love of their life instead of a hook-up, the app has added a new status option: in an open …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rich 11

Lifelong loving

If they're not making allowances for ovines, I'm not interested.

Poor Flossy. Her delicate little hooves just can't cope with those smartphone displays.

1. John Hawkins

Re: Lifelong loving

Perhaps sir would find this short video amusing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx1ovD-o5l4

(There really ought be a sheep icon available - one feels let down by The Register)

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For us older folk...

if(HORNY && JUST_GOT_PAID){

FindHooker();

}

2. Roq D. Kasba

order by breast_size

Or maybe you meant...

order by breast_size desc

1. Warm Braw

Re: order by breast_size

>order by breast_size desc

Though not, presumably, when gender=1.

>gender can be encoded as a boolean value 0 or 1, based on similarity to a distinguishing body part

Alas, only in the myopic world of the programmer where everyone has a first name and last name, their name fits into 30 characters, uses the latin alphabet and has no punctuation. Leaving choice aside, some people really don't have a distinguishing body part and it does seem unreasonable to assign them to an arbitrary category for administrative convenience.

Actually, outside "dating" applications, I can't see the point of recording anyone's sex at all - it should be irrelevant. And within dating applications, it's presumably in everyone's interests for all the participants to be clear what they want and how they see themselves.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

That's the advantage of FORTRAN, support for gender as a complex number.

Disadvantage - you don't care about the gender of anyone who knows FORTRAN

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
            Coat

That's the advantage of FORTRAN, support for gender as a complex number.

The group sex afficionados would probably prefer ANSI BASIC, it can do matrix multiplication.

And, of course, let's not forget C++, which allows friends to access one's private parts.

1. BebopWeBop
              Joke

Object oriented - makes one stray towards the abuse button

2. x 7

" you don't care about the gender of anyone who knows FORTRAN"

is that because of age or inclination?

2. John H Woods Silver badge

"Leaving choice aside, some people really don't have a distinguishing body part and it does seem unreasonable to assign them to an arbitrary category for administrative convenience." -- absolutely

There are 4 standard values for gender: male, female, unknown, unspecified and you've got to be able to support AT LEAST these 4. "experienced healthcare software designers" who are using Booleans should be taken out the back and shot --- IEC 5218 is forty years old this year FFS.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>some people really don't have a distinguishing body

triBool = male / female / file-not-found

3. MyffyW Silver badge

@1980s_coder your SELECT statement nearly took liberties with my décolletage.

Saved by upvotes <2000

3. Rick Brasche

dozens of gender types

and they're all mostly chat bots.

1. RIBrsiq

Re: dozens of gender types

And so you see how all those movies got it *completely* wrong when it comes to how and in what environment true AI will finally be developed...

4. Steven Roper

To answer your question about demisexuals

A demisexual is halfway on the spectrum between hetero/homosexual and nonsexual/asexual. Demisexuals are people who experience sexual attraction to others, but tend to stop short of sexual intercourse. Many like to experience the "romantic" aspects of relationships - holding hands, kissing, fondling, walks on the beach, candlelit dinners - but prefer not to engage in actual penetrative sex.

I myself am asexual, preferring to completely avoid intimate relationships and sex altogether, even with hookers, but I do know a few demisexuals who are in intimate but nonsexual relationships.

I hope that clarifies the term for you.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: To answer your question about demisexuals

So nothing to do with Demi Moore, then?

2. knightred

You know thank you for the explanation. I mean seriously. Like there's recently many new orientations and sexual states and frankly I find it's uncouth to ask in person what the hell the person is/means.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'Demisexual' sounds a lot like 'married' from that description.

AC because...

2. Steven Roper

Like there's recently many new orientations and sexual states...

You're welcome. I know there are all these labels for different sexual attributes and I honestly feel most of them are because everyone wants to be a special snowflake. That's not really an idea I support; although I identify as asexual/nonsexual all that means to me is that I don't do sex or relationships. How other people react to me knowing that about me is a matter for their judgement. If it upsets or bothers them that's their lookout, as long as they don't assault or harass me for being what I am.

As anyone who is familiar with my posts on here knows, I detest political correctness and the idea that people have some right not to be offended. I hate how people feel they have to skirt delicately around certain topics for fear of being called a bigot or a something-phobe. If people want to label themselves as different they have to be prepared to accept that such differences make some people uncomfortable, and that's human nature. I myself have had some quite nasty things said to me about my asexuality but really, I'd far rather people honestly express how it makes them feel than they smooth over their interactions with a false layer of insincere niceness driven by fear of causing offence. Give me honesty over diplomacy any day!

As far as sexuality is concerned, I simply see it as a 3-dimensional space, with the x, y, and z axes representing orientation, intensity and abstraction, respectively.

Orientation is attraction to own (homosexual; -1 on the x-axis) or other (heterosexual; +1 on the x-axis.) Intensity is negligible sexual desire (asexual/nonsexual; -1 on the y-axis) to strong desire (hypersexual/nympho; +1 on the y-axis.) Abstraction is attraction to the concrete/physical (paraphilia/fetishism; -1 on the z-axis) to the abstract/ideal (sapiosexual, romantic; +1 on the z-axis.)

Given a -1 to +1 range for each axis, pretty much everyone on the planet can have their sexuality completely described by a triaxial coordinate. I would describe myself as an 0.5, -1, -0.5. At least then reducing it to numbers eliminates the special-snowflakiness of ascribing a million PC labels to all possible positions on the sexual scattergram! ;)

1. frank ly

Given the three numbers on the 'sexual scattergram', it would be a simple matter to map that onto three RGB intensities and have a particular colour as an indentifier. You could wear a t-shirt of that colour or perhaps a simple coloured badge on your nights out.

1. Roq D. Kasba

Frank, you're on to something there.

BTW poster who explained about 3 axis thing, good model, thank you

2. Steven Roper

... it would be a simple matter to map that onto three RGB intensities and have a particular colour as an indentifier.

Brilliant. On reflection, I like that under your RGB schema, the rainbow flag then becomes a symbol for "I fuck anyone and anything for any reason, intellectual or physical, but only when I'm in the mood" instead of symbolising only LGBTI people! ;)

1. Geoffrey W

RE: RGB sexuality...

If you're colour blind then you're in for a very interesting time indeed

Or...if you enjoy synesthesia then theres no telling what you're going to get up to...

3. John H Woods Silver badge

Brilliant idea, although might I suggest HSL rather than RGB --- it's a bit more sympathetic for conveying gradients

4. swampdog

"Given the three numbers on the 'sexual scattergram', it would be a simple matter to map that onto three RGB intensities"

Someone really ought to code this as the standard for all audio visualisations.

2. Andrew 99

Interesting idea about the x,y,z graph. Although I anticipate a problem with the z axis, folks could be fetish and also get off on the sapiosexual concept.

1. Steven Roper

"Although I anticipate a problem with the z axis, folks could be fetish and also get off on the sapiosexual concept."

You could always give people like that an imaginary value on that axis. ;)

3. RandomFactor
          Alien

"Given a -1 to +1 range for each axis, pretty much everyone on the planet can have their sexuality completely described by a triaxial coordinate. "

I've been to DragonCon. Your model is...incomplete....

1. Steven Roper

"I've been to DragonCon. Your model is...incomplete...."

Hmmm. Maybe imaginary values aren't enough. We might need to derive Julia-like curves from given points in the original sexual space...

5. x 7

I hear they're adding two new apps: "Grunter" and "Barker". A bit like "Tinder", but for those who love animals......

6. Tim Worstal

Can't see it working for me really.

Given past decades of experience the idea that there's two people, simultaneously, on the planet who desire to have sex with me is difficult to believe. That there's two or more simultaneously who desire to do so simultaneously.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh, come on Tim, don't be so coy. Your mind is a wondrous thing and I want to shag it senseless.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Big Brother

"Oh, come on Tim, don't be so coy. Your mind is a wondrous thing and I want to shag it senseless."

You do know that even posting AC, El Reg, GCHQ and probably the rest of the 5 Eyes know who you are?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

RE: "You do know that even posting AC, El Reg, GCHQ and probably the rest of the 5 Eyes know who you are?"

That's true. Mostly I'm hiding from my significant other; He or She doesn't know. And even more mostly I'm hiding from myself; If I don't see my name on the post then I might forget it was me wot dunnit. And I'm too proud of it, in an inexplicable way, to actually withdraw it.

2. x 7

"Can't see it working for me really."

Tim, theres your wife, and then theres yourself.

Thats two partners for you

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

And that they also read el' reg = underflow error

4. MyffyW Silver badge

I empathize, Tim. And having more than one significant other sounds an awful lot like hard work.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Curiouser and curiouser

Well, that is getting suspiciously close to the legal definitions of pimping and running a bordello.

I see a test case coming soon to a court nearby.

Pass the popcorn please

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

fetlife has had that feature for years

as years go by, okcupid looks more like fetlife than anything else. and the population overlap in both sites is actually huge.

9. Ian 55

"all the sexualities outside the norm"

This says so much more about the author than the site in question.

10. Arthur the cat Silver badge

"sapiosexual."

Does that mean likes thinking about sex?

1. x 7

Re: "sapiosexual."

""sapiosexual."

Does that mean likes thinking about sex?"

no.....just likes anointing himself with tree resin

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

In case it's a genuine question (from anyone if not the OP)

It means that they find gender and (at least in theory) species irrelevant. A sapiosexual wants you for your mind, regardless of your physical or actual gender or species.

Human sexuality is weird.

I wonder if that's true of other sapient life - not that I'll ever find out. If we do meet gorgeous blue-skinned aliens, will any of them be interested in any of us?

1. x 7

"It means that they find gender and (at least in theory) species irrelevant"

interesting one because it would be dependent on your definition of species..........for instance the historic trend to consider blacks or jews as sub-human species would make many of us sapiosexual.

Considering that modern research seems to indicate we are all various hybrids of sapiens / neanderthal / erectus and others, then maybe we are all sapiosexual....

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

"What are you?" "I'm erectosexual" etc. etc.?

1. x 7

"neadersexual" sounds interesting......

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorry folks.

It's gone too far.

@Camilla Smythe

Your comments are abusive. They are ill thought out, and badly presented, and do not take into account the majority of this forum.

@x 7

While I am not P.C., you really shouldn't use the term transgendered in a slur against someone. It is abusive towards people who are of a transgendered nature - plus, if you met my CIS (genetic female) wife you would understand wholeheartedly how vehemence of this nature can come from those of all genders, including definitely 100% female and a mother...

@TheRegister.

In all my years of reading this site, this is the first time I have reported posts for abuse or suggested a thread is locked.

12. Mark 85
    WTF?

WTF????

I'm wondering what just happened... I'm quietly reading comments and suddenly I feel like I've been run over by a bus...or did some bad drugs. Like WTF....????

Somehow, we're all to blame for something is all I've figure out. I think I'll wander to someplace quiet and let my head clear.

1. Geoffrey W

Re: WTF????

I'm afraid a seal broke and there was a rather nasty leak of "Typical Internet Forum Discussion" into the otherwise pristine Register Meadows Rest Home for Gentle Tech Folk.

13. Maty

Conversation got hit by a troll. And you fell for it.

Be ashamed.

14. razorfishsl

Sorry, I thought it was a review about the new windows 10.......

15. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"The company claims that the change is more than just an effort to get randy 20-somethings over to its platform, saying it has noticed an increase in the number of users who are "seriously interested in group sex." Apparently 24 per cent of its users are, although we wonder what their definition of "seriously interested" is."

I also wonder what their definition of "group sex" is.

This topic is closed for new posts.