back to article At last – Feds crack down on crummy encryption … starting with your dentist

The US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has struck a $250,000 settlement package in its case accusing a medical software developer of lying about its data encryption capabilities. The makers of Dentrix G5, an office and records tool for dentists, had been accused of lying to customers about the encryption capabilities of the …

1. agatum

El Regs stock of rather disturbing images seems to be unlimited.

1. cd

I would have said pointless, but both are apposite.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't get it

Why would anyone roll their own crap encryption algorithm when there are perfectly good ones available off the shelf in standard software libraries? I can understand someone screwing up the implementation, but not going to the trouble of devising some bespoke weak obfuscation method themselves.

1. Mark 85

Re: I don't get it

Simples.. the profit motive. I'd hazard a guess that whatever they did was cheaper for them than hiring someone who actually understands encryption and how to implement it.

2. FelixReg

They were probably just saving the customer post-it-note costs.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

NIH syndrome is a terrible affliction.

1. Mike Lewis

I'll say it is. I once rewrote 2,650 lines of C as a seven line shell script. The previous team had written a data transfer program with its own implementation of ftp. I just used the one that was already on the computer.

3. fidodogbreath
    FAIL

Clearly, FTC did not ask FBI about this

Why would FTC encourage dentists to use strong encryption?!?

If dentists are allowed to use strong encryption, then terrorist dentists will "go dark." The three-letter agencies will no longer be able to keep us safe.

WE COULD ALL BE KILLED BY TERRORIST DENTISTS!!!!!

1. Robert Moore

Re: Clearly, FTC did not ask FBI about this

> WE COULD ALL BE KILLED BY TERRORIST DENTISTS!!!!!

You are clearly just a rabid anti-dentite!

Oh, it starts with a few jokes and some slurs. "Hey, denty!" Next thing you know you're saying they should have their own schools.

2. David 132 Silver badge
      Happy

WE COULD ALL BE KILLED BY TERRORIST DENTISTS!!!!!

Send for Lemming of the BDA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAe6UEUmaJk

3. Captain DaFt

After past experiences with three different dentists, I'd say "terrorist dentists" is a redundancy. :/

4. Gray
    Boffin

Nanny State

Just another example of government over-reach, interfering with the free-market principle of Caveat Emptor. President Trump will re-align the rogue FTC next year, thankfully, by merging its mission with the CIA to intercept encrypted Quoran imports.

1. xybyrgy
      Joke

Re: Nanny State

Sarcasm, downvoters?

2. a_yank_lurker

Re: Nanny State

The issue is false advertising not caveat emptor. Caveat emptor means one should do reasonable due diligence. But with some products it is impossible for the average person to have the skills and equipment to properly test the advertising claims. As an IT worker, I have a working idea about encryption but do not have the skills to full assess advertising claims on encryption. The typical dentist or doctor knows less about encryption than I do; a case of the almost completely blind leading the totally blind.

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Coming soon...

Don't miss it: FTC vs. FBI cage fight!

(On second thought, mud wrestling, more like...)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like