back to article HPE's London boozer dubbed the 'Hewlett You Inn?'

It's official: Hewlett Packard Enterprise's private London drinking club has been dubbed the "Hewlett You Inn?" in a reader poll which saw the name pip "The DrinkJet" to the post by a single vote. To recap for the benefit of those who inexplicably missed what was the single most significant IT-related boozer scoop of 2015, it …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brilliant

nuff said

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Brilliant

Will they have a HP hour?

1. The Corner of Moron
        Pint

Re: Brilliant

That's a frankly terrible pun... have an upvote!

2. Mystic Megabyte
    Happy

Sign vers.001

The central motif of the pub's sign could be a foot wedged in a door, flanked by rampant crocodiles.

3. Unep Eurobats
    Pint

When's our invite?

Shirley inviting Reg readers to one of these 'bona fide private functions' would be a good way for HPE to generate some corporate synergy going forward?

4. Stoneshop
    Thumb Up

With a Playmobil reenactment, for us bona unfide plebs

"We're now mulling just how to get some "Hewlett You Inn?" artwork knocked up, encased in improbably excessive packaging and delivered to Aldermanbury Square for a ceremonial presentation to HPE."

5. Martin Summers Silver badge

Is this just going to stay as an 'Inn' joke (sorry) between us readers and el Reg or are we going to demand they put a sign with it on above the door?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

As I said, watch this space...

1. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

Heat death of the universe

Whatever plan you come up with just make damn sure it doesn't involve anything travelling through FAA controlled airspace.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Heat death of the universe

"Whatever plan you come up with just make damn sure it doesn't involve anything travelling through FAA controlled airspace."

Whatever plan they come up with will take several years to execute.

2. KA1AXY
        Thumb Up

We have Top Men on the job.

Top Men.

// "man", actually...

6. Why Not?
    Pint

Thank <Deity> they didn't call it the Drinkjet, Refilling your pint glass would be more expensive than buying a super yacht.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

Plus, when you get new glasses in a few years time, the drink will no longer work with them, and no update will be forthcoming. Forcing you to "upgrade" to a new kind of drink...

My glass only holds a pint. Where am I supposed to put this 2 GB driver?

1. Tromos

Plus, if no drinks are served for a few hours, everything crusts over and several hundred waste pints have to be pulled to get everything flowing again.

1. TRT Silver badge

But the good news is that although the refills are expensive, you get a new head thrown in with it. Keep it going much longer.

7. Velv
    Headmaster

"It's official"

No it's not. I don't believe El Reg was engaged by HPE to determine the name and I suspect it will not be thename above the door (if there ever is one)

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

I don't believe you engaged your noggin before posting that either,thats official too.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Trollface

Actually, I was hoping that the door would be a totally nondescript piece of pallet patched door with no sign above it all. Just like some second rate after hours club or dodgy clip joint.

1. TRT Silver badge

The door...

has really bad hinges, and you have to push it in just exactly the right place to get the latch to work.

8. Yugguy

We buy stuff off HP

Where's me invite?

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: We buy stuff off HP

Dunno but you can be sure if you do get one it's going to come in a very large box with air packing to keep it safe.

9. Mikel
    Pint

Don't mind me

Just here to get spiffed.

10. Vehlin

Oversized Packaging

Does each pint arrive in a 36 gallon barrel?

1. Salts

Re: Oversized Packaging

Traditionally yes, but today's downsizing means all pints tend to come in bulk packaging of 9 or 18 gallons Firkins & Kilderkins, I prefer it by the Tun and maybe HP would prefer not to be the Butt of such jokes

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Ah, the Firkin - the Imperial unit of excess. Always used in pairs as in:

Two firkin much

Two firkin heavy

1. TRT Silver badge

Totally reamed.

1. TRT Silver badge

That's 500 sheets to the wind.

2. Charles Manning

Yup

... and a pop-up window says you have to buy another one before it is even empty

... and you can't refill it

1. Sgt_Oddball

The worst is when it only feels fractional lighter than the replacement...

11. Erik4872

Is the company bar a European thing?

Being from the US, I was a little confused when I saw this. HPE is actually building and running a bar? For employees or customers?

I know companies rent "hospitality suites" at trade show hotels to provide the traditional "hookers-n-blow" to their CxO customers, but I've never heard of a company operating a full time booze joint. Those suites are usually pop up locations.

(The name is awesome BTW)

1. Mikel

Re: Is the company bar a European thing?

Many companies in the US provide hospitality of all sorts to customers both off premises and on. The office beer keg or fridge for the workers is also not unheard of. The senior executive of a major corporation who doesn't have alcohol to offer his office guests might be a rare case. I know - it sounds terrifying, and totally alien to those of us on the front lines - but this is how business (sales especially) is done. With dignified courtesy.

1. Peter Simpson 1
        Pint

Years ago (1978), when I worked for Data General, they had a strict "no alcohol on premises" policy. This was, granted, in the United States of Lawsuits, and I understand and accept that the norm in other countries is different.

But, a bar??? Seems like a lot of expensive square footage which would be seldom used to its capacity (unless the sales weasels have a daily "beer o'clock" meeting)

1. Anonymous Curd

UK services organisations run on beer. Often that beer will be served on site, because we're billed by the day and there's no way we're coming back to the office from client site after 5pm for an internal meeting unless we're getting lubed up for nowt. That requires a license, even if no money changes hands.

They may also have a bona fide cash bar. Still not that unusual in certain employers.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We're now mulling just how to get some "Hewlett You Inn?" artwork knocked up, encased in improbably excessive packaging

1. Knock up a CorelDraw file with the desired letters at the desired size depicted in hairline outline (or tell the guy in stage 2 what you want)

2. Take them to someone with a laser engraver and ask them to cut them out of plywood

3. Spray the plywood letters with car paint of the desired colour (gold'll probably do)

That gets you signage cheaply

4. For packaging, I recommend phoning round airports and seeing if you can get hold of any of the boxes that helicopter blades come in...they stretch pretty well the length of an articulated lorry trailer, even for a smallish chopper

5. Put the letters in the box at random and fill the rest with packing peanuts

6. For bonus points, print some instructions on a tiny piece of paper in the wrong language and hide it under one of the flaps that hold the box together.

7. Extra bonus points/level up: Include enough double-sided sticky pads to stick all but one of the letters...for the last letter, include a random cable from some other piece of equipment and tell them to use that.

Delivery is entirely your problem; but you'd probably want a photograper on hand for when it arrives.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

@ moiety

I can tell that you too have received a licence document from HP, in an envelope, in a crate full of hamsternest, on a pallet.

Delivering it in anything smaller than an articulated lorry, ideally a low loader, would defeat the whole point of the thing.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

EVIL PLAN NOTES:

Stages 1/2 are a cost/convenience tradeoff. Cheapest option is get the letters cut out of vinyl, but that looks a bit crap.

Laser engraving you get cheapest if you supply the artwork and materials...phone up and get the size of the laser guy's laser bed; make your CorelDraw document the same size (CD is a sort of standard for engraving, but check first) and try and get as many letters on as few pages as possible. Wood supply places will often cut plywood to size, if you ask nicely (3mm ply will do the job). As a more expensive but more convenient option (skipping the painting stage), the guy might have some coloured 3mm acrylic in stock or be able to source some.

Stage 3: Painting. Best to do it outside. If you're married either put paper down first; or alternately arrange the letters to spell as rude a word as possible where the kids will read it and prepare to become more familiar with the couch.

Stage 4: MOD contacts? Box chosen because it's relatively normal height and width; but stupidly unmanageable length. Can be handled by 3/4 blokes if you go wide round corners and stop off for periodic beer breaks. You could probably get a fitbit etc comparison article out of the afternoon too if you played it right. Can't see the doors in the picture; but with a bit of luck the box won't fit inside and you'll be able to photograph the unwrapping. You'd definitely want to get them to sign for it and capture the "I'm signing for THAT!?!" expression.

@Neil Barnes - Not quite but I have had some stuff from HP in OTT packaging...that's why I made a point of adding the wrong cable part. Don't know if you can get artics into that particular part of London; but the last ½ mile is doable with a couple of stout, sufficiently intoxicated journalists if you can't get lorries in there.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"6. For bonus points, print some instructions on a tiny piece of paper in the wrong language and hide it under one of the flaps that hold the box together."

No, print the instructions on a tiny piece of paper as a series of diagrams. This ensures it's equally incomprehensible in all languages.

4. Nick Ryan Silver badge

You missed a bit regarding the 'instructions'. They should be in every language imaginable (except English of course), prefaced in as much legalise 'it's not out fault' boilerplate as possible and should fold out to at least a few square metres. The exact same 'instructions' (as in nothing instructional, just legal disclaimers) should be on a sealed CD that's also marked 'instructions'. Safe packaging of these is expected of course, along with picking and packing slips for each.

13. Dumb A$$

The DrinkJet economy

The bar cheap to own.

A glass of beer cost 1/3rd the price of the bar.

When you order a beer you get additionally 2-3 other types of beer at the same time.

But once your are near finishing one of the beers the staff take all of the beers away and then proceed to throw out all the glasses.

After a couple of years the bar has to be removed and replaced with similar bar with a new look, otherwise it won't work with the current type of customs.

14. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

If the paper tray on my daughter's 8600 is anything to go by the drinks tray will get stuck in a serving hatch from which it will be impossible to remove without wrecking it so it will become impossible to serve drinks.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have had 10 pints.

HP and Canon large format are fine, tech trained on both for the CAD machines and high end on Canon. Canon's ink system is better than HP but I have my doubts about the purge units. Canon / Oce scanners kick the arse off HP for quality but are harder to use. It's Like comparing a Pc with a Mac or either running Linux, if you know what you are doing you can get the best out of them. A decent one from either will run for at least 5 years/ 10 hours a day.

Stop bitching about ink and let me know how much it costs for a pint in HP HQ (The new one anyway, HP UK training Centre has its own Costa Coffee while Canon's restaurant is super yummy and both free or very cheap:)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP liquids only

No BYO?

17. Desidero

Clouded House

Assume they can get an Open Sauce license from HP,

but suggest they don't add Fudge Packard to the menu,

whatever David's ahem proclivity.

18. TRT Silver badge

It's not a large pub...

more Compaq and bijou.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Drop the 'You'

A Company that could choose a green neon box for logo would probably not spot the humour in "Hewlett Inn".. you might even get a fee for the strategy boutique ++ the grammatical would seem strangely appropriate!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The 3Party's over.

21. Scott 53

Question

Does the jukebox only work when your glass is full?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like