back to article 2015: The year storage was rocked to its foundations

The storage market in 2015 went through strategic foundation-shaking turmoil as the external shared disk array storage playbook was torn to shreds. It was a bewildering year, with rampaging and revolutionary activity at all levels of the industry. It’s best looked at from the ground up, starting with the technology vision, …

1. David Roberts

Kudos for publishing over the Christmas break.

Shame the proof reader was drunk and incapable.

Intersting article, though.

1. Bucky 2

Re: Kudos for publishing over the Christmas break.

If I had to proofread over Christmas, I'm pretty sure I'd be doing it drunk. If I were managing proofreaders over Christmas, I'd be serving the booze.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

With storage progressing this nicely, I can continue to never use cloud, and skip all the resultant privacy concerns.

We're living in crazy times when you get called a luddite for buying a 500GB M.2 SSD

3. luis river

New NVmemory

In this news ignored the covenants for new types of non-volatile memory, such as Sandisk and HPE, Microsoft and Rambus, undoubtedly will leave something interesting all these initiatives

4. The Average Joe

Missed at least one major...

Well, one major is missing the Samsung 950 Pro SSD M.2

We now have a single SSD that can almost bury the PCIe bus, two for sure. How many thousands of mechanical disks in a SAN will it take to make this IOPS and thru-put matchup??? Way too many.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Missed at least one major...

Just to say very very pleased with my new Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512G SSD - 2.5GB/s Read, 1.5GB/s Write - even though I did have to splash out on a new motherboard with an M.2 connector to be able to use it.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Arctic fox
    Thumb Up

"Everything is changing and we don't store the same"

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"

Thumbs up for that very sublte reference - I was genuinely impressed. Happy New Year everyone!

7. h4rm0ny

"XPoint should be less costly than DRAM"

Maybe to manufacture, but the sale cost will be whatever the market will bear. With no rivals ready with equivalent technology, I look forward to seeing what Intel/Micron will charge for XPoint.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like