back to article Christmas comes early at US Patent office after massive IT outage

The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has suffered a “major power outage” that has led it to effectively declare and extended, early, Christmas. “A major power outage at USPTO headquarters in Alexandria, Virginia, occurred Wednesday, Dec. 22,” the agency reports, “resulting in damaged equipment that required …

1. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Good. More time for goofing off, writing scientific papers unrelated to work

It's happened before, in 1905.

1. Winkypop Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Good. More time for goofing off, writing scientific papers unrelated to work

A relatively good time..true

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Good. More time for goofing off, writing scientific papers unrelated to work

Generally speaking.

2. P. Lee

Major power outage.

A good time to wipe log entries, even if its just the one, eh Juniper?

3. raving angry loony

Meanwhile...

In other news, the USPTO being unable to issue crappy patents for a few days resulted in a net gain to U.S. and other businesses as they didn't have to defend themselves from the increasingly meaningless bullshit that USPTO is becoming famous for.

4. lawndart

Noooooooo

Now I won't be able to file for a patent on "A method of extending official government holiday periods by utilizing massive IT outages" until the new year!

1. Mark 85
      Devil

Re: Noooooooo

They already filed that one for themselves although judging from the ON-CALL articles we've had, there might be prior art.

5. Your alien overlord - fear me

Did you Google when the staff party was held inhouse? Accidental drink spillage BofH?

1. Captain Scarlet

I think the BOFH would use it to cover something major up (As obviously anything power related requires someone from IT to turn the things off and on *SIGH*)

2. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

> Did you Google rounded oblongs when the staff party was held inhouse? Accidental drink spillage BofH?

ftfy.

6. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

the applications used by patent examiners

Ha ha!

7. phuzz Silver badge
    IT Angle

Christmas for who?

Extra holiday for everyone but the IT staff, who will presumably be spending their 'holidays' trying to resurrect hardware that lost power and let the magic smoke out, while everyone else gets drunk on egg nog.

1. Swarthy
      Thumb Up

Re: Christmas for who?

The IT staff spending this time working like mad...and getting double (holiday+working) time for their pains. I'd say it counts as Christmas for them, too.

8. TeeCee Gold badge
    Trollface

You know what this means?

They don't know that there already is such a thing as a UPS!!!

Off to file a patent and get very rich......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You know what this means?

UPS systems just save up all the bad luck until they're full, then they explode or catch fire.

They improve 'up time' in the short term, then your building is evacuated for a month while they wipe battery acid off the ceiling, and blood off the floor.

Pointless. Absolutely pointless. The 'Symantec' of hardware.

2. Mage Silver badge

Re: You know what this means?

They use UPS all the time. As a courier.

9. Roo
    Windows

No need for them to shut the office down for an IT fail...

All they need in their day to day grind is a rubber stamp judging by the patents they grant.

1. Tom 13

Re: No need for them to shut the office down for an IT fail...

Yes, but as a cost saving measure all the rubber stamps have been replaced with computer controlled virtual ones.

10. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I don't like to wish a loss of data on anybody but there are times to make exceptions and this could be one. Just think, if all those ....with a computer and .....with a mobile phone patents were lost for ever.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey, this is serious. Without access to their workstations, how can the Patent Examiners search Encarta '97 for prior art?

1. ecofeco Silver badge
  12. kain preacher

Are we sure that that this was an accident

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've just got a US Patent on Downtime

The unanticipated outage of any computer system (including those with rounded corners) is now something I own the rights to.

You all owe me millions I tell you ... MILLIONS!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I've just got a US Patent on Downtime

I'm sorry but your "downtime" appears to have rounded corners, so unfortunately for you but according to USPTO ......

14. Stevie

Bah!

<mode= puzzled> But aren't the USPO computers powered by perpetual motion?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon