back to article YouTube puts T-Mobile US on naughty list for throttling all vids to 480p

YouTube has waded into the row over T-Mobile US's Binge On service. Binge On launched in November, and lets people watch unlimited amounts of video from Netflix, Hulu and other selected providers: the streams do not count against subscribers' monthly download caps. There is a catch, though. These toll-free videos are streamed …

1. Steve Evans

I think you're a little behind on your mobile screen resolutions!

"and many of the latest smartphones can handle 1080p resolution"...

Many many mobiles (mid range and even budget) have been able to handle 1080p for ages. Nexus 5, a cheap £300 handset from the end of 2013 had a 1080p screen, and it certainly wasn't the first, the LG G2 launched earlier in 2013 had 1080p too.

We've moved on since then... Nexus 6 from 2014 had a QHD screen (2560x1440), as did the LG G4. this years 6P and many many many other handsets from Samsung, HTC, etc etc...

Even a windows phone, April 2014 - Lumia 930

Apple were slow adopters, but even they managed to finally get 1080 on the 6 plus model in September 2014.

IIRC Sony have even launched a 4K mobile.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: I think you're a little behind on your mobile screen resolutions!

I wonder if there is any actual perceptible difference in all these super high resolutions on a 6" screen? The consumer ought to have the choice, and the provider should not be forcible limiting them, but I wonder how many people can tell the difference between 480p, 720p and 1080p on a tiny little screen.

From what I've read in comments here, tethering is something many phone contract disallow, along with paltry data allowances. Are there a lot of people watching streaming video from their phones and 'casting it to the TV maybe?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

On my Nexus 5, I can see a difference between 480p and 720p if there is text on the screen (e.g. The text of the banner at the bottom of the screen, on a news channel). I don't see any point in going higher than 720p on a small screen.

I'm aware of at least one operator who killed their network, selling unlimited bundles of FaceBook and WhatsApp. Since this operator hadn't also bought a deep packet inspection solution, and had no control over how their end users used these services, their end users were enjoying unlimited video calls (or at least trying to; all of them at the same time).

2. Steve Evans

"I wonder if there is any actual perceptible difference in all these super high resolutions on a 6" screen? The consumer ought to have the choice, and the provider should not be forcible limiting them, but I wonder how many people can tell the difference between 480p, 720p and 1080p on a tiny little screen."

You can certainly see the difference on my Nexus 6, 1080p does have an extra air of "oooh" to it... But it looks even better at 1080p on the Nexus 7 (allowing for the contrast drop from OLED to IPS), purely because of the extra inch!

Size certainly does matter.

Having said all that, I happily watch reruns of 4:3 TV programs on my big TV which were recorded in analogue originally and barely qualify for 480p... Although I can't say you don't notice, but after the first few seconds you settle into the program and don't care... Content quality over broadcast quality!

Unless it's an NTSC recording from the USA where the colours are just screwed up! That I notice all the way through, and have to turn the colour level down on the TV to stop my eyes bleeding!

3. JPWhite

Mr

The 6" screen is a red herring. The cell phone could be used as a hot spot for a laptop or smart TV with high res displays.

Cell carriers also sell standalone hotspot hardware for the same purpose.

2. P. Lee

Wiretapping? Interference in electronic communications?

Anyone?

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: Wiretapping? Interference in electronic communications?

Article is a little vague on the technical details - it's unclear on whether YouTube is forced into 480 or if the video is downscaled. If the latter then copyright infringement.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I would imagine they just reduce the data speed and then YouTube match the resolution to the connection speed perhaps. So a kind of automated process but controlled by the data connection.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think any attempt by youtube to raise copyright issues (over downscaling) would take us into black pot territories....

3. TeeCee Gold badge
        Facepalm

So you reckon that playing any video in anything other than its native resolution is copyright infringement?

You are a complete spanner and ICMFP!

(Hint for the terminally thick: I reckon youtube don't put those 8k vids up purely for decoration).

4. Daniel Hall
        Trollface

"...If the latter then copyright infringement."

I must assume you are one of these pro-"sue anyone for anything" bods, probably American?

3. Number6

If I wanted to watch a video of any great duration then I'd want it on something bigger than a phone screen. I'm not sure I could tell the difference between 480p and 1080p on my phone given my eyesight, even if the phone supports the higher resolution.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> If I wanted to watch a video of any great duration then I'd want it on something bigger than a phone screen.

True enough, but how would T-Mobile know what size of screen you had?

Tablets with a decent screen size have wireless (non-wifi) capability.

1. Number6

My tablet is wifi-only, As for screen resolution, I'd have to go look up the maths, but it's all tied up with the smallest angle the eye can resolve so I'm not sure 1080p on a tablet would be worth the effort. 720p might be though.

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

"on the same issue over services they is said to be readying." - they is saying that is they?

1. Mephistro

"...they is saying that is they?"

"Yes, I doesn't !"

5. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Alert

Un-Un-Carrier

I juat discovered that after rejecting the requests to join Binge-On, it was turned on for me. If I was like John Legere I'd probably Tweet something like, "People hate your shitty #carrier feature so much that you have to turn it on secretly. #suckmycarrier #blurryslownetwork"

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Meh

It's the YoiuTube problem.

YouTube are like the great granddaddy of torrent leechers. They chew on everyone else's bandwidth for their own benefit and give fuck-all back (any contribution made to backbone routing by google is of sod-all significance when it's your local loop getting the shaft).

For some reason, when we elect to block or throttle some leeching git it's a good thing, but when a provider does it for the same reasons, it's bad. One law for us I guess.....

Easy answer. If you really must have 24hr mobile access to that cat falling in the bog, don't use T-Mobile. Personally I like competition and a service where I knew that the bandwidth wasn't being shat on by drooling morons giggling at shit videos sounds very attractive.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's the YoiuTube problem.

I don't pretend to have a good understanding of how the large scale infrastructure of the Internet works but you clearly don't have the faintest clue. Unless you are actively using YouTube it doesn't affect your personal connection to the intertubes in the slightest (with some caveats). The local loop is the last bit of cable that runs to your house and it's used by you alone.

What you are probably referring to is congestion on the backbone and backhaul links. This is a problem but it's not YouTube's problem any more than it's Facebook's or Netflix's or in fact any other company or individual that sends data across the net - that's the fundamental point of net neutrality. Any company sending out data on to the network is paying for that service if the network can't cope with the amount of data the providers can either charge more or install more capacity.

Caveats: I'm assuming your using ADSL or a flavour of it. It's different on a cable network.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's the YoiuTube problem.

"The local loop is the last bit of cable that runs to your house and it's used by you alone."

No, its used by him and whoever is else is connected to the home router. Also FWIW my "local loop" is about 10m long whereupon it disappears into a cabinet shared by the entire street so if all the people in my street are watching HD cat videos then my service will be impacted considerably.

7. Daniel Hall
    Trollface

Ghetto

......the same issue over services they is said to be readying.

ye blud, is it cos i is....

8. djstardust

Three UK

Are severely throttling many services on their feel like home offering. Doesn't matter where you are, YouTube, Spotify, Maps and others just don't work. Nobody seems too bothered about that though.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Three UK

> Are severely throttling many services on their feel like home offering.... Nobody seems too bothered about that though.

... nobody except the potential customers who go elsewhere.

Last week I looked into switching to 3 for Feel At Home while travelling in Europe. Then I read how the service was often throttled to the point of uselessness. So I went out and bought a dual SIM phone instead.

10. xslogic

You say that it isn't copyright infringement to watch in anything other than the resolution given - (I'll choose to use that phrasing rather than native resolution because - it's youtube and they'll rescale it) - but are you sure that the way they've written the "format shift" parts of the copyright law have been written with this in mind?

I mean, any playback device can and will reformat it - by necessity - but I wouldn't be surprised if somebody in parliament went "Whoop! We've actually made this normal use case entirely illegal - never mind" (Bare in mind that the UK government has made it so they can ask for the keys for your SSL traffic and then arrest you for not being able to provide them - and want to have "connection records" but to fully comply with that you'd need to track every data packet between every router - after all, the description is so woolly and every packet is effectively a connection...)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like