back to article Microsoft reveals Azure Stack hardware specs

Microsoft has revealed the hardware required to run the preview of Azure Stack, its on-premises and ever-so-hybrid version of the cloud Azure operating environment. Azure Stack was announced in May at Microsoft's Ignite conference, but hasn't said much about it since other than to re-iterate it's all about bringing the elastic …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Inevitably....

Put Linux on a server with that spec and it would be beyond perfect

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Inevitably....

Unicorns would poop out golden rainbows, all wars would cease, ... stop me if you've heard this one before.

2. kryptylomese

Re: Inevitably....

25% (and growing) Virtual Machines in Azure are Linux so Microsoft know they do not need to spec their hardware as high as they would do if they wanted to only look after Microsoft's own high resource low performance operating systems.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many CALS do you need?

That is the really hard question.

Currently struggling with Lookout/365. Works fine in the office. When not connected to the corporate LAN it says that it needs a license key. Fire up the Corporate VPN and it is fine yet we are supposed to be able to get our email from Azure without needing the VPN.

My current opinion of this is unprintable.

3. Benno

If it's ok with you, I think I'll stick with my 'traditional on-premise VMware deployment...

Sure we're only talking about 156 cores & a TB or two RAM spread over a fistfull of boxes but;

It works

I have pretty much full control of it (within reason)

It works

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like