back to article Sanders presidential campaign accuses Democrats of dirty data tricks

A hacking row is splitting the Democratic Party's presidential campaign after an incident with the party's database provider. Presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders has been cut off from access to the vital voter targeting database after one of his campaign staffers improperly entered the servers of the database's host provider …

1. Herby

Who is in charge of the henhouse??

Turns out that Debbie Wasserman Schultz is a known Hillary (could have fooled me knocked me over with a feather) supporter. This is just an excuse to lock out "poor" Bernie Sanders.

Now if someone external got in, that would be "interesting". I suspect that the information on the DNC's servers are a bit more secure than Hillary's email servers.

1. drexciya

Re: Who is in charge of the henhouse??

On top of that, the makers of the software involved have ties to Hillary as well. This looks like, smells like and feels like a setup. Hillary is obviously very afraid of the support for Sanders.

Some additional information points out, that there was only read access to the database and that this was fixed in about 30 minutes.

2. a_yank_lurker

DNC Panic Perhaps

Many believe the DNC wants Hildabeast to be the Donkey's nominee. Assuming the details are correct, something says the DNC was looking for something to hobble Bernie.

1. Danny 2

Re: DNC Panic Perhaps

An article from The Intercept suggests the very fact the debate is on a Saturday shows the DNC want to bury the debate from view. Media Ignores Sanders Though He’s More Popular Than Trump

1. Roo
        Windows

Re: DNC Panic Perhaps

The Demented Donald Show is casting a long an unhelpful shadow the serious business of electing the next leader of the biggest and most probably the most active military power on earth. Just from a moral stand point it's pretty low to be giving someone who appears to be suffering from dementia maximum coverage for laughs.

3. TimeMaster T
    Megaphone

To all Americans

VOTE! But if you don't like the candidates on the ballot don't vote for them, I don't care if you write in Bernie Sanders or your pet hamster but VOTE.

The last USA presidential election had something like a third of the registered voters casting a ballot. That means that only slightly more than 1/6 the voting population of the USA voted for the current POTUSA who now claims the "Mandate of the majority".

Sure a Dem or Rep will still get enough of a majority to get elected but if they only got 15% of the total votes it would kind of get the point across that most US citizens don't like them.

Remember: Your vote is like a coupon for a free dinner at your favorite restaurant. You only waste it if you DON'T use it.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: To all Americans

"VOTE!"

Yes, and actually pay attention to the off year campaigns, and vote for the Senators and Representatives that least offends you.

(Once you start looking at what their voting records, attendance records, etc, you can get rather offended.)

Exercise your vote where it can actually count a bit.

But vote for President?

Your vote has a lot less to do with who becomes President than you think.

1. unitron

But staying home and not voting has a lot to do with who becomes President.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't be afraid to vote for the least worst candidate.

Or if you are into tactical voting, the least worst that is capable of winning.

But imho voting is more effective most times than not voting. If you are a part of a small minority that "spoil" their papers (in the absence of a "none of the above") you'll get classified by most people as a group that gets described as cranks, anarchists, and too-stupid-to-even-mark-a-box-correctly.

Protest at the candidates by writing to the newspaper, posting on facebook, etc where your thoughts will be read - only polling officials and candidate representatives will see what you write on the ballot paper.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
        Unhappy

@Captain DaFt

Have an upvote.

I've always said the Electoral Colleagues can screw up a wet dream. It'$ a lovely $ystem where $omeone get$ to change everybody'$ vote$ for whatever rea$on. The Electoral College, pffft what a disaster.

A sad reality to be honest, you get to choose between the lessor of evils and then your choice can be changed.

And the real funny thing is watching and waiting to see how many campaign promises the elected president actually keeps....

1. Vic

the lessor of evils

That's a marvelous image...

Vic.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: To all Americans @ Vic

"the lessor of evils"

It definitely sounds like a book title!

2. joed
      Unhappy

Unfortunately "Remember: Your vote is like a coupon for a free dinner at your favorite restaurant. You only waste it if you DON'T use it." misrepresents the reality. It's more like “Doing a good job here is like peeing your pants in a dark suit — you get a warm feeling but no one else notices.”

Either the system is rigged, this is the way it is or both. Sad but true.

(Me) Wastes his time no more (or should I vote for hillbilly Trump for being frankly honest ans unscripted, what gets him in trouble).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dictatorship via lack of choices

I'd like to be able to choose between which pile of shit I want to be seen as the face of our nation. It just gets worse with each and every cycle.

5. Disko
    Thumb Up

They should remember...

....Frankie says "Relax"...

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

I hope they all die in a fire, then Satan pisses on the smouldering heap

Individual leaders of the DNC can support Hillary Clinton in any way they want, but they are not going to sabotage our campaign – one of the strongest grassroots campaigns in modern history.

Someone misspells "astroturf".

7. phil dude
    Coat

A sarcastic summary?

There's a "Stop Bernie at all costs" campaign, so the groomed heir is left unchallenged, and will "follow the script".

There's the "Stop Donald at all costs" campaign, because he hasn't been bought, and isn't following "the script".

Anyone think the system of lobbying and "lowest common denominator politicians" has evolved to the point where only 2 choices is insufficient to get a rational consensus?

The engineering term is, are the parameters sufficient?

P.

1. disgruntled yank

Re: A sarcastic summary?

Stop Bernie at all costs? I suspect that the change in my pocket would do nicely. Sen. Sanders might carry Cambridge, Madison, and Berkeley handily enough, but that won't do it for the primaries, let alone the general election.

2. disgruntled yank

Re: A sarcastic summary?

'There's the "Stop Donald at all costs" campaign, because he hasn't been bought, and isn't following "the script".'

The "hasn't been bought" theme seems to me to have one major objection: if his interests are 95% aligned with the interests of those who ordinarily do the purchasing, what is the gain to the public?

I suspect that the Stop Donald campaign has more to do with memories of 1964, and the stop Bernie campaign with memories of 1972.

8. x 7

is this Sanders anything to do with Colonel Sanders of Kompletely Fucqed Chicken fame?

1. AndyS

Are you from England? Gee, I've got a friend there, called Brian. Do you know him?

1. Vic

Gee, I've got a friend there, called Brian. Do you know him?

Fight Boy? I know him well.

We went drinking together a few weeks ago. He's a lightweight.

Vic.

9. JEDIDIAH
    Mushroom

Outsource fail.

This sounds like a classic case of outsource fail. Leave it to someone else any they will screw it up for you. You might even be left totally out in the cold. Perhaps it's not such a bright idea to muddle together data and systems between two or more warring factions.

10. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Trump or Hillary or Sanders?

Is that it?

{there are candidates}

Move along there, this is not news. Whoever gets into the White House will soon realise that the Military and Business will dictate policy in so many areas. Obama only got his healthcare through because once he got elected for a second term, he was not beholden to any faction for re-election.

IMHO, the US system of democracy is totally borked. The problem is that they still think that they are No1 in the world. Look out USA Red China will soon take over your super power mantle.

1. 404

Re: Trump or Hillary or Sanders?

No, Obama got his Obamacare in his first term, with Democrat majorities in both houses, in the middle of the night, with zero Republican votes.

Get your history straight.

11. Florida1920
    Big Brother

Different sides of the same coin

Remember when Ralph Nader was threatening John Kerry's (ultimately failed) campaign in 2004? Instead of fighting Nader with better ideas, the Kerry campaign -- supported by the Democratic Party Politburo -- sued the Nader campaign to get him off the ballots in key states. The time and money Nader's campaign had to waste fighting the suits diminished his ability to present his ideas to the voters. On the Republican Party side we had the "Swift Boaters," trying to undermine Kerry's Vietnam War record. In other words, neither party gives a damn about the country, they're only interested in seizing control of it.

What gripes me is the American media's obsession with Trump. In a Sanders-Trump contest, polls suggest a Sanders win; and Clinton is also predicted to beat Trump. So why bother with Trump, if he can't win? Simply because he's a blowhard? People got degrees in journalism to tout that loser? Arrrgh. Where's some good-old anarchy when you need it?

12. NomNomNom

This is what happens when you allow communists to infiltrate your party.

Trump 2016.

13. jake Silver badge

NGP VAN ...

... has absolutely zero effect on how I will be voting.

I read up on the issues, and vote appropriately for me & mine.

Hopefully, everybody else does also. I'm not holding my breath.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

The Clintons? Playing dirty political tricks?

Naaaaah. Couldn't happen. They've never done this type of thing before.

15. PhilipN Silver badge

Is it just me?

I do not believe a single word of what anyone is reported to have said about this incident.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SOS, DD

This stuff goes on all the time regardless of presidential elections or not. The candidates of course deny all accountability and staffers are dismissed to cleanse the parties responsible. Sanders doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell of winning anything anyways so it's a moot point. The candidates do however enjoy spending other people's money and matching tax payer money to wine and dine without a prayer of being elected. As you can see from Sander's expression he has no clue about the internet and hacking, nor do most of the candidates based on their foolish ideas of how to stop terrorists from communicating via encrypted messages. To think these are the best people available to lead the U.S. is a pretty scary thought.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon