back to article EE Power Bar recall: Telco will waive £5 fee for laggards

EE has confirmed it will not apply extra charges to customers who don't return their Power Bars, despite the mass recall announced this morning. Half a million of the devices have already been recalled by EE, following an exclusive story by The Register revealing that managers had been warned the bar was not safe to use. The …

1. ukgnome

The EE power bar was one of the worst tasting nutrition supplements I have ever had.

1. DavCrav

"The EE power bar was one of the worst tasting nutrition supplements I have ever had."

You should try the Nutri-bullet. It comes with added bullshit hype to alleviate the nasty taste you get in the mouth.

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

No plans for now that is. I'm sure people will believe them when they actually change those terms and conditions. It also blows the idea of them being 'free' out of the water, yes so long as you're a customer of theirs you can keep using them.

It was a badly thought out idea done on the cheap and from past reports on the reg they knew the risk they had with them from the start. Bet they wish they could go back and change that particular board room decision now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

"It also blows the idea of them being 'free' out of the water"

I would think the below is how 99.99% of people got them (not sure how else you did get them...as part of a contract?)

"If you’re an EE customer that has redeemed a Power Bar using a code (referred to in clause 1.3 above), a replacement charge will not apply."

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Interesting...

Reading the Ts&Cs in the light of the text message I've received and current events/anouncements. [See http://ee.co.uk/power-bar-recall ]

Firstly, it seems EE have not 'terminated' the agreement, which has a term of 18 months. Hence clause 2.7 doesn't apply.

Secondly, there is no 'recall' clause, although clause 3.2 does allow for arbitrary variation of the Ts&Cs. Yet nothing EE have said, says that they have changed the Ts&Cs. Which is strange given the liability clauses 3.4 to 3.7 inclusive...

So it would seem that you can (for now) continue to use a powerbar for the full 18 month life of your agreement, but if anything untoward happens, you'll need a first class legal adviser, as it is unlikely you'll be able to successfully claim against EE...

However, I suspect that EE have a problem with their store insurance, where 'large' numbers of powerbars will be on-charge with little effective supervison.

3. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

"We have no plans to..."?

That's one of the politicians' classic Weasel Phrases. It doesn't mean "We won't", it just means "We won't *YET*, but we haven't ruled out doing it later..."

1. Jediben

Re: "We have no plans to..."?

Negative, they just intend to charge £4.99, as the full £5 was considered insensitive and too exploity.

4. anothercynic Silver badge

The important phrase is...

<quote>If you’re an EE customer that has redeemed a Power Bar using a code (referred to in clause 1.3 above), a replacement charge will not apply.</quote>

No charge for me then. :-)

1. Dabooka

Re: The important phrase is...

"No charge for me then. :-)"

Same here. I'm struggling to believe anyone would actually pay for the service?

5. robertcirca

EE and Microsoft

EE and Microsoft seem to have some things in common.

They want to have happy customers and do not understand haw to achieve this.

6. Mr Templedene

Typical bad timing, I find my power bar very useful, and am just about to embark on a journey in which having it would be very very useful indeed.

Think I'll take my chances until after the trip away. It's never got even slightly warm when charging.

1. Paw Bokenfohr

Good alternative. Originally a kickstarter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zendure-2nd-Portable-Charger-10000mAh/dp/B014RBEAQC/

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Good alternative. Originally a kickstarter.

Telling, since the stories about hoverboards and now the powerbar: The first thing I looked for in the advertisement was insurance cover against malfunction. The second was where was it manufactured...

7. Annihilator

2nd hand battery?

"When your EE Power agreement expires or terminates (for mobile or broadband customer this will happen automatically if you choose to cancel your agreement with us for mobile or broadband services), you must return the Power Bar to an EE store within 60 days"

Why? What on earth were EE going to do with presumably well-used rechargeable batteries? Give them out again?

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: 2nd hand battery?

That was apparently the idea.

You were supposed to walk into an EE store with an "empty" one and they'd swap it for a "full" one.

Probably sounded great to scientifically illiterate management.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>What on earth were EE going to do with presumably well-used rechargeable batteries?

Satisfy the WEEE constraints placed on them; so forward them to an appropriate environmentally friendly recycler..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>What on earth were EE going to do with presumably well-used rechargeable batteries?

Unlike a lot of electronics, the materials probably have a scrap value above the recovery cost. Lithium metal scrap is worth about $1.20 a pound.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like