back to article Former Sugar babe of Viglen fame set for Chrimbo exit

Tech veteran Bordan Tkachuk is preparing to say a fond farewell to his staff at Viglen after nearly 20 years at the helm of the system builder that was once owned by Lord Shugs. Sugar offloaded the firm to Westcoast Holding at the start of last year, as we exclusively revealed, and Tkachuk had a two-year earn-out clause baked …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Operational Knowlege

To be fair the guy needs to know how to run a company and how to find and retain the right people.

Knowing all of the industry specific TLAs is purely optional.

For Example: Stick me in accounts and there would be a revolt within 2 months!

1. SharkNose

Re: Operational Knowlege

To be fair then he shouldn't show off on a TV show larging it that he's billy big bollocks when it comes to technology and then make himself look a complete prat!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

Re: Operational Knowlege

Fair point!

2. SharkNose

Internet Service Protocol...

I hope he's off to get a "broadcom license" so he can start his own "internet service protocol"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

salaries that went up to £10.5m from £6.5m

"Contained in overheads was a massive hike in staff costs, wages and salaries that went up to £10.5m from £6.5m"

I suspect most of that went into Bordans and other directors pockets. Those of us on the front lines got sweet FA in pay rises over that period. IIRC Tkachuk took something in the region of an 80% pay rise for those last two years compared to the single 2% pay rise us peons got once in the last 4 years. I'm sure he'll get a much nicer severance package than all the people made redundant recently.

1. MrRimmerSIR!
      Facepalm

Re: salaries that went up to £10.5m from £6.5m

Perhaps he was the boss cos he could do the math!

"Directors were paid £809k in total and the highest paid individual, believed to be Tkachuk, was given £657k, up from £245k."

"Contained in overheads was a massive hike in staff costs, wages and salaries that went up to £10.5m from £6.5m"

So Staff costs went UP by £4m, but the directors trousered <£1m IN TOTAL. So there's at least £3m that went to staff not the directors.

Unless you know something that wasn't disclosed in the accounts?

1. Gordon 10

Redundo costs?

2. The Godfather
        WTF?

657 grand is an almighty whack for a business this size and the rise quite unexplainable given results.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He has been coasting for some time I suspect.

I sat next to him at a Microsoft conference earlier this year and he spent most of the time on his MacBook (not Viglen laptop, natch) browsing the Neiman Marcus website, presumably working out what to spend his newly inflated salary on ;)

5. x 7

so what do Viglen actually make or sell now?

Seems a lot of turnover for a company with no apparent market presence. Is there actually a business there or is it all on paper........?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Seems a lot of turnover for a company with no apparent market presence."

I didn't even realise they were among those still present.

2. Sir Barry

Viglens customer base has expanded to embrace private and public sector; SMEs, education, health, local government and voluntary organisations.

www.viglen.co.uk

1. x 7

"Viglens customer base has expanded to embrace private and public sector; SMEs, education, health, local government and voluntary organisations"

interesting claim.........I'm rather familiar with the UK Health Sector and I've never seen any Viglen branded equipment in use.........except for a clunky old 486 serving as a security camera server

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I'm rather familiar with the UK Health Sector and I've never seen any Viglen branded equipment in use"

I could name a number of hospitals, universities, Local Councils, Govt Departments, schools etc nationwide using Viglen desktops but I'm posting AC for good reason.

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

“I’ve been running Alan Sugar’s companies for the last 25 years, and that’s why I know a little bit about technology,”

What a wonderful sentence. One could spend hours thinking about the possible interpretations.

1. Valerion

>>“I’ve been running Alan Sugar’s companies for the last 25 years, and that’s why I know a little bit about technology,”

What a wonderful sentence. One could spend hours thinking about the possible interpretations.

<<

Indeed, I was thinking:

I’ve been running Alan Sugar’s companies for the last 25 years, and that’s why I know a little bit - and only a little bit - about technology,

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tremendous problems within this business at the moment, with many staff having left or looking to leave

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon