Is is possible....

This topic was created by dogged .

1. dogged

Is is possible....

to do something about the occasional cretin who disagrees with a thing you say (STOP NOT HATING WHAT I HATE!) and then goes through your post list downvoting absolutely everything regardless of what it's about or what the topic is?

Because frankly, it's getting a little old.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Is is possible....

You're not the first to notice this one and it's done to death here.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My two cents (most likely unwelcome)

After quickly looking at your posts I'd say you tend to be combative and insulting to other view points, hence the downvotes.

There is even a chance that your comments are disliked and it may not be a single person doing a round robin.

Either way it's an open forum. You are free to be belittling of others opinions and they, whom ever "they" are, are free to downvote you.

An example of one of your feather ruffling comments:

>> The RTM is out now

>is it? I haven't seen any information to that effect

Straight question, downvote... Oh, I get it! A person with severe learning difficulties has noticed I said things about Android which were not complimentary and also true and so s/he is downvoting everything I say, even straightforward questions which actually draw doubt on the statement of somebody advocating WP!

You poor thing. I hope your carer gives you a lovely cuddle later.

1. dogged

Re: My two cents (most likely unwelcome)

> After quickly looking at your posts I'd say you tend to be combative and insulting to other view points, hence the downvotes.

Absolutely, but some days you post a thing and then notice that you have a single solitary downvote on everything you've said for the last week, whether it was combative and insulting or not.

3. Known Hero

I notice on days that I am pissed off with the world I get down voted a lot more even with apologies upfront for my attitude. A more relaxed attitude is favored here.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it teaches me to be slightly calmer in my responses, regardless of content, (Well not all content ;) some people just want to disagree with you).

I personally have had somebody run through my posts down voting me before, and a few simple ways to deter it could be:

#1: remove the option to down-vote on a persons post profile (the list of all their posts).

#2: all votes require a response (although this is very likely to generate spam).

#3: Show the amount of up-votes and down-votes people give (I really wonder how many times i have down-voted / up-voted people) Karma Rating Yeah.

#4: remove anonymous voting (allow people to view who voted what).

1. dogged

#1 sounds easiest and probably most effective.

2. Vimes

Or perhaps...

#4 Only show the total of up votes minus down votes for each post.

So if you get up voted 10 times, but down voted twice for a given post then the figure '+8' will appear next to it, and would effectively hide whether down votes have taken place or not whilst still allowing people to have an impact on the outcome by down voting where they think it's appropriate. Similarly if you only get up voted twice but down voted 10 times then -8 would appear.

1. Known Hero

@Vimes, sounds to facebook'y for me.... and personally I like to see when I get massively down-voted, in reality it doesn't happen often, but when it does I learn a lesson from it and try to approach similar situations in the future *differently.

*Unless its a apple/pc article then i just say fuck it and enter the confrontation swinging my mace about clobbering anything I can see. its more fun that way :D

1. Vimes

I would have thought that it's unlikely that you'd be massively downvoted and upvoted at the same time. It's normally one or the other, and my idea would at least allow the odd rogue downvote from counting for anything.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I would have thought that it's unlikely that you'd be massively downvoted and upvoted at the same time.

Try being rude about Google...

If you make fair points against MS, Apple etc, you tend not to get many downvotes from the faithful. Google tend to split opinion more. They've got some real fanboys, some died-in-the-wool haters (for various reasons) - and quite a lot of people are rather wary of them becasue of the huge power they have in internet-land.

I've also managed some +20 -10 vote type posts on Tim Worstall articles. I guess anything politics related can end up working that way.

Oh and Bitcoin. But there don't seem to be so many true believers left nowadays. So nowadays if I make a comment on the foolishness of a system with built-in deflation (or the similarities to the scams I saw when playing EVE Online...), there's only a couple of downvotes from the remaining faithful.

I've also noticed a new trend for downvoting bad puns. I love a dodgy pun or two, and enjoy it when you get a pun-off between a few commentards. But now instead of just ignoring the jokes they don't approve of, I've noticed a few +40 -5 ones. Everyone's a critic...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon