back to article Google proffers plugs in Android MMS pwnfest

Google has slung a new set of patches at the vulnerability hub that is Android media processing, fixing four critical flaws and 10 high-severity bugs. The vulnerabilities could allow user phones to be compromised through a variety of means including MMS, email, and following web links. Nexus users get the fixes first along …

1. dervheid

Be more impressed...

When they fix the clusterfuck they made of Bluetooth with the last update...

1. fuzzie

Re: Be more impressed...

*sigh* It appears to be a recurring theme even between minor versions. The wailing and gnashing of teeth appears to be constant between now-it-works-for-me and now-it's-broken-for-me, especially with relation to car kits.

I want a Bluetooth-capable unit for my (slightly aging car), but don't fancy it variously working or not depending on the minor release cycle. A friend's keeping his Nexus 3 with Android 4.3 as "bridge", since that's the last version that worked with his car (major luxury german brand OEM)'s head unit.

1. dervheid

Re: Be more impressed...

Yup, Nexus forums awash with this one, looks like just about every car manufacturer affected.

Had some direct exchange with google, proffering the usual 'solutions', including Factory Reset (which doesn't reset the device to KitKat, so not a lot of use...) concluding in a distinct washing their hands of it.

Really pissed at having spent a shitload of cash on their 'flagship' device to have them piss all over one of the major functions (for me anyway).

certainly not inclined to spend my hard-earned with them next time round, but unless someone comes up with a better alternative that isn't apple or microsoft...

2. PJF

,or never,

That's about right...

Still running 4.something

on a Samsung Gal.5 on Sprint in the US

Gave up after 4.4 that almost bricked it - now on Cy...

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: ,or never,

As an aside the most recent update (about two weeks ago on 3 in the UK) to the s5 seems to have fixed the Android 5 update which, like you say, pretty much bricked the phone.

The Android industry really does need to fix this slow to never and unreliable update problem, other branches of IT manage it. Microsoft used to be good until they started abusing the trust and Debian haven't broken anything for years. Speed of patching is now one of my purchasing decisions when buying a phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My cheap as chips Winphone got updated (no not to 10) last night. Not just a bug fix either as my 4G has gone from 30mbs download to 89...yippeee.

3rd major update in a year.

My Samsung droid....well if I get off 4.0, I'll let you know.

1. sabroni Silver badge
          Windows

Re: my 4G has gone from 30mbs download to 89

Presumably with a corresponding boost in uploading your personal info to MS.

1. TheVogon

Re: my 4G has gone from 30mbs download to 89

"Presumably with a corresponding boost in uploading your personal info to MS"

But presumably still way behind Google in that regard.

1. sabroni Silver badge
              Thumb Up

Re: But presumably still way behind Google in that regard.

Windows phone + browser = best of both worlds!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: But presumably still way behind Google in that regard.

"Windows phone + browser = best of both worlds!!!"

Well yes - no spyware on Windows Phone - or Edge - unlike with Google Android / Chrome. And Edge is faster than Chrome, and Windows Phone is faster and smoother (and far more secure!) than Android.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Android industry really does need to fix this slow to never and unreliable update problem

It certainly does!

But the trouble is, they don't need to! 95%[0] of phone users don't care about this. Making matters worse, they've been burned too many times with updates on the desktop, that they don't even want it.

Until the masses start voting with their wallets, the manufacturers/carriers aren't going to waste their time updating their stuff.

I wouldn't mind, but the fixes are already made for them, and they don't even have to develop the OS!

Google really need to clamp down on this.

[0] That number was pulled out my arse

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"95% of phone users don't care about [updates]"

I agree with AC, and think the same is probably true for iPhone users despite the large uptake on updates. I have an iPhone and appreciate the regular updates that last five years or so after the phone is introduced, but fixing security holes is pretty invisible to the typical user. While iPhone users update in large numbers, it is because they will hear about some new feature like Apple Music. When there's a x.y.z point release that just fixes a few bugs it I doubt it gets much attention beyond people who update just to get rid of that little red "1" on the Settings app...

I think it would take a severe security issue (one that is being exploited in fairly large numbers that is hard to defend yourself against via simply being careful) before the masses really appreciated the difference in the speed of updates and support life of devices for iPhone over Android. Even then those who go for the less expensive devices might think to themselves "I can buy a $150 Android or $650 iPhone, and if there's a security issue I can always "update" by buying a brand new $150 Android and still come out ahead". That's not exactly a strategy that Android OEMs would have a problem with, so you can see why there's little incentive for them to change their behavior.

FWIW, while writing this I wondered if iOS 9.2 was out and found it had just been released this morning. Just finished updating while writing this :)

2. big_D Silver badge

Manufacturers and providers are going to have to realise that smartphones are no different to any other personal computing device and need security updates provided as and when they become available. If they tried this in the Windows world, there would be an uproar.

The core OS should come form AOSP or Google directly and be patched directly. The provider and manufacturer should have no say in this level of security patches, they should only be responsible for their "value add".

1. Boothy

The Android OS should be more like ChromeOS, the same OS irrespective of the devices origin.

You could then do the 'value add', by a simple 'branding on boot' process.

The 'branding' could be a simple zip file containing things like...

* wallpapers

* notification audio files

* manufacturers apps