back to article Weather finally cooperates with NASA, ISS resupply launch successful

A couple of Raspberry Pis are on the way to the International Space Station at last, after a resupply launch delayed three times due to bad weather finally hauled itself into orbit. The original launches suffered rain last Thursday and high winds on Friday and Saturday, but things finally went smoothly Sunday evening for the …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Would have thought a water jacket would be a better heat transfer agent. They could recycle the liquid using you know what !!

1. cray74

Would have thought a water jacket would be a better heat transfer agent. They could recycle the liquid using you know what !!

Most of the equipment installed in the large, standardized equipment racks are cooled by pump-circulated water, while the common laptops in the ISS use conventional fans. For some reason this computer has neither a water connection nor a fan.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Coat

They could recycle the liquid using you know what !!

Raspberry Pe

2. DainB Bronze badge

Huh ? So you saying that with gravity all air tends to fall down to the floor and without gravity it just floats around ? How nice to know.

1. David Roberts
      Thumb Up

Hot air rises

Or to put it another way cold air falls. However nothing falls without gravity, so presumably nothing rises either. Unless you give it a gentle shove.

Now contemplating a Rapberry Pi with a cooling fan and a battery pack gently cruising around the space station. Perhaps next year?

1. DainB Bronze badge

Re: Hot air rises

Robert Brown would disagree

2. kventin

"""Now contemplating a Rapberry Pi with a cooling fan and a battery pack gently cruising around the space station."""

Now contemplating a Rapberry Pi with a cooling fan, battery pack and a mounted laser gently cruising around the space station.

For science, of course.

1. Richard Taylor 2
          Pirate

That's the model with the Shark(tm) Firmware I take it

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
            Coat

That's the model with the Shark(tm) Firmware I take it

Correct. Firmware not hardware because they are cartilaginous.

1. David Roberts
              Coat

Reminds me of my Aunt Agnatha who was a bit of a sucker for laser wielding sharks.

2. Little Mouse

"with gravity all air tends to fall down to the floor"

Well, yes, it does. We'd all be in a whole lot of trouble if our atmosphere decided to just bugger off into space...

1. DainB Bronze badge

Mmmm...

Gravity on or very close to Earth surface is 9.81 m/s2.

Gravity on Low Earth orbit (160-2000 km) above Earth surface is 9 m/s2, that's where ISS is.

Now would you please tell me what force exactly is keeping ISS on the orbit and why it does not fly away just like air on same altitude apparently did.

1. Little Mouse

Gravity. And if that were the only force at play then there would be also be a tiny bit of atmosphere out there too. Not much mind, as the higher you go the thinner the atmosphere gets.

However, unlike the ISS, the atmosphere is made chiefly of air, and as such blows and boils away very easily. (See Solar Winds, etc)

2. cray74

Gravity on or very close to Earth surface is 9.81 m/s2. Gravity on Low Earth orbit (160-2000 km) above Earth surface is 9 m/s2, that's where ISS is. Now would you please tell me what force exactly is keeping ISS on the orbit and why it does not fly away

Centripetal force. The ISS doesn't circle Earth at 7,660m/s just for fun; that 7,660m/s is fun is just a bonus.

Anyway, the ISS averages an altitude from 6,772,000 meters from Earth's core, i.e., it follows a circle of radius 6,772,000 meters. Its average velocity is 7,660m/s.

Centripetal force equals (Velocity squared) / radius, or: (7660m/s ^2) / 6772000m = 8.664m/s/s

Considering the rounding in my math and approximation of velocity and radius values, that's satisfactorily close to your calculation of 9m/s/s for gravity at the ISS's altitude. Gravity is balanced by a satellite's centripetal force. To climb higher or escape, you'd need to move faster so centripetal force exceeded local gravity.

just like air on same altitude apparently did.

The air did not fly away like the ISS. The mean molecular velocity of air at temperatures near Earth's upper atmosphere is around 300m/s, (unsurprisingly) the local velocity of sound. 300m/s is nowhere near orbital velocity, so generally air wants to fall to the ground. Air being compressible, you find about 90% of all air molecules within 20-ish kilometers of the surface and no inclination to fly off into deep space. Generally, getting air to fly off into space requires either:

1) Packaging it in a rocket and launching it to at least 7800m/s, or 11,100m/s if you don't want it to come back

2) Having it circulate to the edge of the atmosphere, suffer improbable collisions with several other air molecules that boost its velocity several standard deviations above the mean, and then get slapped around by solar wind until it exceeds 11,100m/s

It is considerably easier for a puny planet like Mars to lose its atmosphere than a chunky planet like Earth because of the difference in escape velocities.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Or to put it another way...

The ISS is falling. But it is also going sideways just enough to keep missing Earth.

3. Norm DePlume

It's fascinating the things that need addressing. Thinking about this and other, less pratical, mitigation strategies has made me realise for the first time that, in a centrifuge hotter air must 'gravitate' (for want of a better term) towards the centre.

1. James Hughes 1

You can feel this in cars all the time - brake hard, the cold air from the back of the car rushes to the front.

Helium balloons in cars also behave counterintuitively (move inwards on corners...)

4. M7S
    Coat

Computers in space, a fanciful idea

It's all just...

...pi in the sky

5. James Hughes 1

The Pi's are not joining Tim Peake, he will be joining them, as he doesn't launch until the 15th.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like