back to article So, what should Atlassian spend its post-IPO riches on?

Atlassian could hit Nasdaq as early as next week, opening up the possibility of an acquisition frenzy as the Aussie turned British-based software firm reels in the cash - then starts spending it. The JIRA and Bitbucket vendor should raise as much as $370m, giving it a paper value of $3.6bn. The amended obligatory SEC filing …

1. John P

They could spend it on stabilising their system so it stays online for over a week at a time. Bitbucket is a great service but is too unstable recently. I rely on it for Continuous Deployment to Azure Web Apps and am desperately looking for more reliable alternatives.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Host your own. We use Atlassian products, they are superbly designed high quality products, but we run all ours ourselves, they pretty much run themselves to be fair.

They are also very cost effective and have a good pricing business model, you only pay for what you need.

Very impressed with all of their products, with one exception , sourcetree which is a useless pile of crap, written by an outside team of developers that have no concept of quality control.

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Companies are like blackholes...

...if they reach a critical size, then they become wealthy enough to suck in all the surrounding companies. But their internals are often opaque, even to those inside the event horizon.

3. DaveFromSpace

This is the great thing about Atlassian : no enterprise sales team. Go to their website, type in your CC, get the licence, done. As the IT manager of a small company, I have to beg some providers to accept my money. Code42, I'm looking at you.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know! I know!

Spend the money on hiring some of those d**khead PMs that are capable of nothing but raising Jiras!!!

That'll sort them out :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love Atlassian products

They don't get lot of press time, but their products sell themselves.

What is great is the stealthy (bottom up) way you can get them into your company, there are £10 licences (the £10 goes to charity) and gives you 10 users. Thats usually enough to convince you to grow to more and then more again.

We now have a lot of users using Stash, JIRA, Confluence and Bamboo and its making TFS look pretty rubbish by comparison. In the bad old days, TFS would have pushed down onto users (becuase its Microsoft and nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft). Now users have seen how good products can be, awkward questions get asked when inferior systems like TFS are introduced.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Love Atlassian products

It's just annoying when you have, say, 15 users, and your licensing costs jump from £10 up to £1000. We'd probably use a few more of their products if their prices scaled up more smoothly.

1. Downside

Feel for you there.. each on of our steps has been painful BUT try buying that tech from anyone else. Yes, you could wish they brought in a floating-seat model just like everyone else but that's a ball-ache too. Just give everyone a log in and you never have the "got no seats available" problem.

I appreciate that you might have 100 seats an just 20 users but that's part of their "unique" (aka very profitable) business model.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's still peanuts compared to what others charge for products.

Our previous CM (tele-bodgeit synergy) cost 10x the price of Atlassian suite, only did CM, no JIRA, no Bamboo, was a total turd. Currently having TFS pushed from above , as its Microsoft, but it struggling for the same reasons, behind the sheen (which quickly wears off), its still sourecesafe and frankly not very good.

Funny that not a week seems to go by when Microsoft dont push more TFS changes that push it closer to GIT as its preferred back end rather than ancient sourecesafe, and its slowly moving towards being what atlassian products already deliver.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/news-overview-vs.aspx

6. Downside

First step will be to buy (if they don't already) Gliffy and then Who ever produces Komala workflows for Confluence.

For us, we do our planning in Agile, defect tracking in Jira, knowledge base in Confluence, sign offs in Confluence+Komala.. so we just need a decent test management suite to round it off.

Git management and CI? Not sure why that needs to be wrapped up in yet-another-increasingly-expensive bundle with the others.

That's my main gripe with the tools.. sure, it's cheap for a defect tracker, but if you add all the other toys in, you're knocking on IBM prices.

More flexibility would be good.. Jira for 500 people but maybe 100 seats of Agile and 50 for that tool, rather than the 500 seats of one thing? 500 for everything model they currently have.

Having said all that, it's the only enterprise tool I've ever dealt with that had PM's and teams coming and begging for a log-in. Not only that, but they HAPPILY tutored each other in how to configure it and set it up. Talk about easy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They changed JIRA licencing to do just this.

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2015/10/say-hello-jira-core/

Sadly this IT site didn't report this, they were too busy reporting about Android malware FUD.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like