back to article Microsoft drops dogma, open-sources Chakra JavaScript engine

Microsoft's wheel of change has seen it further abandon closed-source dogma to open its Chakra, thereby improving its karma. The Chakra in question is the Chakra JavaScript engine it's been working on since 2008 and which the company will now largely open-source. The release will cover the “self-contained” parts of the code, …

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Think they'll try competing with node. js?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No. They can't.

It still needs "Node.js to extend its reach"

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

I could imagine it being an alternative engine: launch node with either V8 or Chakra.

(Are the plugins tightly bound to V8?)

2. a_yank_lurker

Only on Winbloat?

Sort of new Slurp, open source sort of and only on Winbloat. Have they heard this iOS or this Android thingings on something called a smartphone? I doubt it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Only on Winbloat?

Wish you'd go back to lurking

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Telemetry

What's the bet they never Open Source the telemetry code in Windows.

And really, that's the code which should be Open Sourced.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Telemetry

Hey, I support them open-sourcing everything else.

If they do enough if it, we'll be able to build our own version of Windows minus the proprietary bits (telemetry).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Re: Telemetry

That would take all the fun out of life now. I'm getting adept at discovering and determining exactly what talks to what, which protocols, and timing. Talk about a first rate tutorial in forensics! In much the same way Solataire was for the WIMP interface, at least.

/sarcasm perhaps

4. Mike Bell

That diagram is bonkers

A grey browser talks to a purple thing that has some 'execution machinery'.

Where are the Performance Biscuits?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Open source?

Wouldn't that make it buggy and insecure?

6. jake Silver badge

Unfortunately ...

... Redmond tried to run over my dogma with it's karma one too many times. I will never knowingly use another Redmond product. It has been trouble looking to happen for a couple decades.

EOF

1. dogged

Re: Unfortunately ...

But you haven't used an MS product for years Jake. Therefore a) you're a bloody fool because your logic is the equivalent of refusing to buy anything Japanese because of Nanking and b) it's not like they miss you. Is that why you have to endlessly keep telling us about it?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Unfortunately ...

logic is the equivalent of refusing to buy anything Japanese because of Nanking

No. It's more like refusing to return to Tesco because the last 10 times you went their bread was stale, the milk has bits in it, and they over charged you.

Enjoy your breakfast.

2. jake Silver badge

@dogged (was: Re: Unfortunately ...)

I evaluate Redmond's products as they roll out. It's in my job description. However, I do not use (or recommend) Redmond products. Note the distinction?

7. Warm Braw

Edge browser's rendering engine will hit Github in January

The rendering engine is something different.

What's happened to El Reg since the change of editorship? My impression is that the content and attention to detail has diminished considerably.

8. Teiwaz

News like this...

News like this always feeds my occasional delusion that I've woken up in a parallel reality

Microsoft using the open source model still feels contrary to the natural order of things.

9. Do Not Fold Spindle Mutilate

What is "Lowerer" in the green box in the purple box?

Parser and Interpreter are words that I understand but what is a Lowerer in the context of JIT? I've done some searches but cannot find anything that is related.

1. Geoffrey W

Re: What is "Lowerer" in the green box in the purple box?

That's the bit that frowns at you when you do something silly, like trying to use GOTO, before flinging it in the garbage collector

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like