back to article Clean-cut code-warriors behind Cohesity's hyper-converged tech

Startups are always someone's enemy; that's the nature of being disruptive. The disrupted status quo hates you. Rarely though does a small biz face more enemies than Cohesity. Every supplier selling secondary storage hardware, software, or applications faces being killed or grievously wounded by Cohesity. Mohit Aron's startup is …

1. NotBob
    Mushroom

What could go wrong?

Seems a bit like an ad to me, but sure, let's put all our eggs in the same silo from a new upstart instead of having multiple established vendors' products.

Ever try to put out a silo fire? (Icon related)

2. Nate Amsden

WTF

is secondary storage. I just read

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/18/cohesity_enters_copy_data_virtualisation_arena/

as well as this article and I still have no idea what value this stuff has. I've also sat through (about 2 years ago) a webex or something with actifio(sp) and saw absolutely no value in their product either. It just seems like some sort of glorified snapshots? Most storage has that already, I've used snapshots for testing in QA and dev for 9 years now. the link above talks about analytics as well, I mentioned in another el reg article I suspect for most data sets there is no analytics on the data. You're not going to get anything useful out of mysql data files or vmware VMDKs.

Maybe in Cohesity's case they mean analytics in that you can run hadoop natively on their stuff, in which case great - I have never been at a place that needed hadoop other than at one analytics company and they built (or were trying to build at the time after having their own in house analytics platform for 8 years or so) hadoop shit. I don't see companies like that gravitating towards solutions like this. Hadoop as a technology isn't very good to begin with, there are many superior solutions on the market that are generally less complicated and higher performing. Hadoop is buzzword compliant though so maybe that's why they have it.

i suppose this quote from the article above signals what they do

"Cohesity says its data platform will "eliminate the current fragmentation and data sprawl in development, back-up, and analytics solutions[..]"

That is a problem I've never seen myself, there is some sprawl and fragmentation in that stuff, but for me historically it's been very much under control.

1. @miketrap

Re: WTF

I'm sorry we weren't effective in explaining the problem, Nate. Let me try again, using an analogy.

When you take a picture with your smartphone you create an image, let’s say 1 megabyte (MB) in size. Apple, Google, Dropbox or some other default tool will eventually replicate that image onto a laptop or desktop machine automatically, doubling the amount of storage being occupied by your original 1 MB photo to 2MB. That same system might send it to a tablet or iPad, which is another MB. Use your phone to send that photo to Instagram, and you’ve added another MB. Share the Instagram with Facebook and Twitter, and suddenly your 1 MB photo now occupies 6MB of storage across various devices and cloud-based systems.

The same thing happens in your business, with “production” systems creating “production data,” and separate systems designed for backup, disaster recovery, business continuity, test data management, compliance, and analytics all creating copies of that original - “copy data” - for various uses. In the enterprise, though, these aren’t copies of 1MB photos. They could be copies of 10 Terabyte Oracle databases, which consume massive amounts of time and resources, and massively complex systems and operational processes to maintain.

IDC estimates that - around the world - copy data is a $50 billion problem. And while there are multiple technologies out there to treat the “symptoms,” there’s really only one that cures the “disease” across the full range of enterprise applications, the full lifecycle of application data, all forms of enterprise storage from the data center to the cloud, and all major use cases specific to the enterprise. That solution is Actifio.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: WTF

Sorry, but the article itself is difficult to parse.

Today (Dec) seems to be the B team when it comes to reporting.

Methinks someone needs to go back to Journalism 101

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too much spending on buzzz creation

Looks like our Cohesity friends are behind the buzzz

We see articles about them for no point :-)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Confusing market positioning

I think Cohesity's biggest problem is market positioning. The term "secondary storage" is confusing to the average IT person. Rubrik is doing a better job of saying, "Hey, Mr. Customer. We're going to replace your DataDomain box and CommVault software with an integrated back-up appliance." Mohit seems to be a brilliant technical person, but he doesn't seem to be a great businessperson (yet).

5. Magellan

Dell?

Cohesity looks a lot like Scale-IO. For that reason I doubt any Dell relationship will be lasting.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon