back to article Boffins could tune telescopes to listen to lasers on Mars

Months after its July fly-by, New Horizons is still squeezing its images down pipe measured in bits-per-second – and that's a problem space boffins would like to solve in the future. As we know from NASA's successful LADEE test, lasers are a viable and truly broadband space comms medium – but firing a laser from (say) Mars and …

1. Chris Tierney

Struggling with BT

Here I am shouting my ass off at bt and virgin to provide me with a faster dl than 3mbps for 5 years now and meanwhile a moving target millions of miles away is about to get a faster uplink than me. This isn't fair I've much more interesting things to stream.

1. Yag

"This isn't fair I've much more interesting things to stream."

Selfies with kittens?

2. Little Mouse

Re: Struggling with BT

Re: "much more interesting things to stream"

Nice - You almost had me there. Your correct use of apostrophes gave you away though.... :)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Struggling with BT

Maybe if you gave BT £100m they might install a faster line to you?

2. AbelSoul
    Thumb Up

great gig in the sky

+1 for the DSOTM reference.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about having satellites receive it?

Without the atmosphere they can receive across a wide range of wavelengths, and they could be separated at appropriate intervals to insure several were always within view from any direction and the greater distance between them would improve their fidelity. The satellites can relay what they receive down to Earth where supercomputers can crunch the data received on each together based on their location for proper interferonomy calculations.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: What about having satellites receive it?

Of course satellites would work... but designing & building & launching them would be very expensive. The proposal of using the CTA gives a working solution with close-to-zero build cost.

4. Alister
    Coat

Disaster Area

So, along with the Laser banks, the main speaker stacks can go on Tharsis Plateau, and the blockhouse for the instruments in Valles Marineris. Should be a good show!

After the first chord has been played, the planet should be just about terraformed...

5. DropBear
    Joke

"firing a laser from (say) Mars and receiving it on Earth would need a Bloody Big Telescope."

Augh! Won't someone think of the poor aircraft pilots - now laser-flashed not only from below but also from above?!? Irresponsible scientists at their best...

6. Graham Marsden
    Alien

WTF?

So now we're not only sending Laser Armed Vehicles to Mars, we're *giving* the Martians the equipment to shoot back!!!

7. M7S

It's a secret Mysteron detector

SIG

8. John Stoffel

It's the *wave* of the future...

I'm really *amped* up by this new *wave* in communication technologies!

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: It's the *wave* of the future...

I see *watt* you did there...

1. Steve Aubrey

I find this discussion *stimulating*.

1. Cynic_999

Bugger off on your megacycle

1. Gavin King

"Bugger off on your megacycle"

It hertz when you say things like that.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't use light. Use longwave (VLF)...

Fewer wavelengths. Less loss.

;-)

10. Elf
    Pint

Punny Buggers

Cheers.

11. thx1138v2

Which got me to thinking...Mars is red because of, well basically rust. Sooo with all that spinning rust up there and now a laser interface who will be first to claim Mars as their private data storage device?

12. Faux Science Slayer

The Hall Effect, Polarized Light and Instantaneous Universal Communication

The Hall Effect shows that polarized light instantaneously changes at the receiver when polarity is reversed at the transmitter. Space based satellites would first establish at 'Laser Wire' with uninterrupted light beam connections. Then positive/negative variations can send a digital signal in an instant across galactic distances. See the Cosmology tab at FauxScienceSlayer site on this and the suppressed Rotational Universe Model where limited time travel is axiomatic.

1. Stoneshop
      Holmes

Re: The Hall Effect, Polarized Light and Instantaneous Universal Communication

Blahblahblah. Another pile of pseudoscientific bullshit waffle from FSS.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like