back to article Google launches virtual plastic pal who's fun to be with

Google has launched a preview of version 2.0 of Android Studio, the Alphabet subsidiary's development tool for Android apps. Google's aims for this release were to create a faster, prettier-and-therefore-more-pleasant-to-use tool. The revised development tool's headline features therefore include something called “instant run …

1. AbelSoul

Devs need only make a change to code and run it to see alterations reflected in an on-screen emulator. That's apparently a rather swifter and more elegant arrangement than was offered in previous versions of the tool.

That's sounds pretty similar to how it already was but it certainly wasn't quick so good on them if they've improved the speed,

2. jake Silver badge

Clippy?

Is that you?

3. DrXym

Emulator changes should be a sea change

The Android emulator in 1.x was okay for normal apps but virtually unusable for OpenGL development. Even if you turned on host GPU acceleration it still sucked. So if they're addressing this it should make a huge difference. Personally I found the easiest way to develop was to build the app for the desktop (easy enough with libgdx) and debug it there and only switch to Android (emulation) once I knew it's more or less working.

I have no love at all for IntelliJ. I use it at work, I use it in the Android Studio and I'm fairly proficient with it. But the build / debug cycle is painful compared to Eclipse. In Eclipse you could just hit Run / Debug and it would instantly Run or Debug, and even in-place edit code. In Android Studio / IntelliJ it prefers to farm out the build to an external builder like Gradle. Gradle takes so long to start you have to run it in daemon mode and even then it might taken 10-20 seconds to build / run something which is virtually instant in Eclipse. And if you edit the Gradle script you have to resync everything. That isn't to say I hate Gradle for other build lifecycle tasks but for trivial Run / Debug iterations it's a pain.

4. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Up

But is it one...

... we can all Share and Enjoy?

(And does this mean that Google will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...?)

1. magickmark

Re: But is it one...

Remember you can always go "Stick your head in a pig" :D

All together now... A one, two, a one, two, three, four.. da da d da da da...

Share and Enjoy

Share and Enjoy

Journey through life

With a plastic boy

Or Girl by your side

Let your pal be your guide

And when it breaks down

Or starts to annoy

Or grinds when it moves

And gives you no joy

Cos it's eaten your hat

Or had sex with your cat

Bled oil on your floor

Or ripped off your door

You get to the point

You can't stand any more

Bring it to us, we won't give a fig

We'll tell you, 'Go stick your head in a pig'.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: But is it one...

Will the apps developed with that complain about 'pain in the diodes'?

5. Blitheringeejit
    Big Brother

@Graham Marsden - Share and Enjoy

Google's whole business model is "Share and Enjoy" - we share our personal data, friends, illicit habits, souls etc, and they enjoy the advertising revenue. They also have cybernetic cars, which will inevitably develop real people personalities. The final move to Sirius, for offshore tax purposes, is only a matter of time.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: @Graham Marsden - Share and Enjoy

So is the GPP prototype called Marvin?

1. Isendel Steel
        Coat

Re: @Graham Marsden - Share and Enjoy

Sounds awful....

Towel icon

6. John Lilburne

Does it allow optional ...

... disabling of Google snoopage?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like