back to article Telstra cloudwhacks storage vendors' sweet spot

Australia's dominant telco, Telstra, has waded into one of the storage industry's favourite markets, medical imaging, with a cloud service that may not make it a lot of friends. The overwhelming majority of medical imaging is now digital, so the field generates lots and lots of data. Much of that data needs to be retained for …

1. Terafirma-NZ

It's Telstra

This service likely won't exist in the next 2 years or will be forgotten about to the point existing customers are left trying to get support for something no one knows about.

Also a correction. This will not be cheaper cloud storage never is cheaper the reason for purchase will be ease of use and management. No idea where the reg gets their costs from for these sorts of articles but sounds like it might be from VMware.

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: It's Telstra

Fair point - we've not been rigorous on cost analysis here.

But IMHO what's the point of going to cloud storage if not for lower costs? Ease of use is lovely, but can also reduce opportunity cost - no more storage admins, complexity becomes someone else's problem.

I do stay in touch with VMware, but it is by no means an authority on cloud storage costs. AWS, Google and Microsoft would be the chief cheerleaders there.

FWIW I defy anyone to get close to their archival storage costs on-premises. And that's despite Amazon Glacier being far from easy to use!

1. P. Lee

Re: It's Telstra

But does Telstra do cheap like AWS?

I think not.

What do you think will happen to the pricing when the last SAN is disconnected and the last storage admin is let go?

What happens when the contract comes up for renewal and the new terms state that everything uploaded to Telstra's cloud is owned by Telstra and may be shared with trusted partners? Will you move those petabytes, pay for a new premium service or accept the new terms?

Information and IP is core to almost every business.you don't have to manage it yourself, but you give control of it away at your peril.

2. Cincinnataroo

Centralised Storage Option

If people want centralised storage that's fine. Those who don't want it (and want to safeguard their own records) should have that choice.

I don't know whether that is allowed or whether this is a "Fascist State" area.

Given the proclivity of officialdom to spray records all over, worth considering?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know we all love to hate Telstra.... As an alternative we could go with AGFA and end up in the real sh!t. Just ask the QLD and WA Dept. of Radiology - or any Doctor/Radiologist in these states.

Couldnt get any worse...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like