back to article Google extends search tendrils to cover data in apps

Google has expanded its search feelers into content stored inside apps. Previously, the search engine giant only indexed content that matched content on the broader internet, but increasingly information is contained only within apps themselves, meaning that it is not broadly accessible. The company has been experimenting …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Devil

Google - We're worse than the NSA, but we make a profit.

1. Paul Shirley

I don't remember the NSA presenting it as an opt-in. Or any sort of option.

Waiting to find out if this is a developer only option. There had better be a user override for it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I don't remember the NSA presenting it as an opt-in."

Opt-In? I thought to stop Google tracking you you had to explicitly say you din't want them to.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

And anything found by in-app search is discoverable by whatever mechanism the government chooses to use with their vacuum pump du juor. I'm fairly certain that the recent moves by Google and Microsoft are in reaction to Snowden's revelations and public/private reactions by those same corporations and legislative/civil-service sectors. Their's a rumbling beneath the surface here and I have no idea how they will play out.

2. ratfox

Makes sense

People create apps rather than web sites to give a better experience, but they still want what they offer to be discoverable…

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: People create apps rather than web sites to give a better experience

I don't agree. People create apps because they can monetise more effectively and because it's trendy. The majority of apps don't do anything that a good html5 site couldn't.

Also, this allows the user to "stream" the app without installing it, proving that you don't need an installed app to access the information.

The root problem is that it's difficult to monetise websites. Solve that problem and the need for apps will be much reduced. How many apps run offline, do so much processing on device that javascript can't keep up or need write access to the devices file system?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: People create apps rather than web sites to give a better experience

No, I use apps so I can use them offline. Mobile data and reception is not 100%. We cannot even keep landlines and TV broadcasting going during the most important tasks and events. I'd not trust my apps being dependable with the net 100% of the time.

PS, yes I know some apps require the net. But I'd prefer keeping as much off that space as possible.

3. W Donelson

Coming soon... sewage inspection by Google

Citing the growing need for medical profits, Google today announced "Google Sewage Reporter" which taps into the sewage from your home and workplace.

Larry Page beamed and noted "Now you won't be able to take a SH'T without us knowing every detail"

1. PsiAC
      Joke

Re: Coming soon... sewage inspection by Google

You're a bit late there.

https://archive.google.com/tisp/index.html

"To offset the cost of providing the TiSP service, we use information gathered by discreet DNA sequencing of your personal bodily output to display online ads that are contextually relevant to your culinary preferences, current health status and likelihood of developing particular medical conditions going forward."

Icon because... well, it -was- an April Fools' Day joke...

2. mosw

Re: Coming soon... sewage inspection by Google

You mean like Smartpipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ

4. Bluto Nash
    Holmes

Interesting pilot partners

She named a number of nine initial "partners" that Google is working with: Chimani, Daily Horoscope, Gormey, Hotel Tonight, My Horoscope, New York Subway, Visual Anatomy Free, Useful Knots, and Weather

That's a rather diverse and eclectic selection of initial partners there. Nearly everything you'd need to commit the perfect crime:

First, you'll need to check your

Daily/My horoscope - to see if the proper planets are aligned. If so, you may need a

Hotel Tonight - to stay in before you get on the

New York Subway - to go to the restaurant you found on

Gormey - where they have a nice fava bean and Chianti dish. Check the

Weather - to see if you'll leave footprints in the park you looked up on

Chimani - after using the

Useful Knots - and knowledge gleaned from

Visual Anatomy Free - to bind your victim for transport and dispatch once at your destination.

Hm.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One more reason.....

to never use Google for anything ever again - well not intentionally anyway. It's getting almost impossible to avoid their NSA tactics that, for reasons which escape me, commentors above seemed to think were 'opt-in'.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: One more reason.....

Well I hope you've got Google Analytics blocked or you're giving them a load of browsing data whether you use their services or not.

6. Daggerchild Silver badge

Extrapolution

Oh hell.. there's something else behind that door :

If Google can now get the data inside apps, then it may be in the interest of the data supplier to no longer make it available on the Web. They can better control your experience inside an app. e.g. Adblock can't get at it?

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: Extrapolution

We're at that stage already. Our app is packaged up with phonegap and could easily run on the pelagic web. We don't make it available.

2. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Adblock can't get at it?

If you block ads by blocking the ad content network by ip then they'll be blocked in app. No ad provider is stupid enough to trust a third party to deliver their content and tell them how many ads were served or clicked on.

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

Re: Adblock can't get at it?

Unless the ad servers are in the Cloud. So, how long until a Tor ad network?

The old paradigms are ending. The browser did an end run around the OS war. The app will do an end run around the browser war. The Cloud and the Phone mean IPs will have no useful meaning. SSL/Tor means the traffic will have no useful meaning.

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Technically sweet - but then that's what Oppenheimer said about the hydrogen bomb.

Clever little boys, all of them.

8. noj

encryption?

How difficult is it to encrypt that kind of information within an app?

NOTE: No sarcasm intended; a legitimate question.

9. Benchops

Developer content only?

or will Google be slurping all your user added content too? Not necessarily to put out in a google search, but so you can't hide from them by not using gmail or google maps etc?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Weather"?

Can we ask for details on exactly what service provider is "Weather"? Weather, by whom precisely? There are many providers and even more weather apps acting as front ends to that provider-created data, where do we look and point the finger?

It is IMPORTANT that we know this...so that we can block the service.

After deleting my Google account from my Android phone, the next highest thing is my Disabled list for Google products that gives me much, much joy every time I have to go in an review it. But fools and their privacy are soon easily parted in today's modern world, so I feel no sympathy for the idiots who wantonly give their life details to a corporation for small conveniences...while complaining about a government that does the same.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like