back to article Hacking group Strontium dogs NATO and government targets

There's a new hacking team out there that's proving surprisingly good at getting into government systems using social engineering tactics coupled with zero-day attacks in assaults that can last as long as a year. Dubbed Strontium by researchers at the Microsoft Malware Protection Center, the hackers have been active since 2007 …

1. fearnothing

Legitimate sounding? Okay, maybe to someone who doesn't work in security, but from my perspective those domains might as well be waving a flag and playing a fanfare.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

I only there was a script which checked whether a domain was suspiciously similar to one from of a given set of expected & usual domain names and flagged the email with a "SCAM" warning ....

2. Gert Leboski
    Devil

Nation state?

Probably just a bunch of penetration testers gone rogue.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

Re: Nation state?

Strontium Dogs?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Nation state?

Pirates Informatiques sans Frontières!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

The usual weaknesses

The group spends a lot of time researching their targets on social media and email lists, trying to find people with access to a system they want to penetrate.

No matter how hard you try to make your systems secure, there is always a fundamental weakness - idiots with access who reveal that fact to the world.

Whatever happened to discretion?

1. Mark 85

Re: The usual weaknesses

If there were discretion, there would be no scandal rags, no yellow journalism, no reality TV shows, no one exposing their secrets on the likes of MySpace, AOHell (the old days), Farcebook, etc. I think discretion left the world a long time ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The usual weaknesses

Sorry, but IMHO it was a much better world then. No privileged entitled millennials whining and crying how they need a "safe space" dedicated to a specific minority and for what ever purpose at every University in the country. We used to call that a dorm room back in my days and those who really did not want to conform left campus and found more suitable lodgings off campus or with a frat or sorority house.

Tell me, just exactly how "disadvantaged" can someone really be if they go to Princeton, Yale, Ithaca Harvard or any other Ivy League college? Probably with a full room and board scholarship! Whoa, what a tough life they have! When they come out of that environment, they CREATE the "social" media, yellow journalists and general purpose whiners we see all the time. Growthefuckup please!

Back in the 1960's I can understand, but by the end of the 1970's blacks were given astounding advantages over any white student and colleges started falling all over each other to provide more and more scholarship programs for minorities. Today, college is like kindergarten for immature 20 year olds and they should all get a good cuffing for the PC bull they try to foist off on the world.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

+1 for title's 2000AD reference.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Johnny Alpha, Wulf Sternhammer, Middenface McNulty. Those were the days.

1. Chris King

Number Four Cartridge !!!

Hey, you missed out the Gronk - Ohhhhh, my poor heartses !!!

2. Santa from Exeter
        Mushroom

Stronty Dogs

As H(C)rackers, I'd have thought the likes of the Styx Brothers were a more obvious choice :-)

1. Alien8n

Re: Stronty Dogs

Well thinking about the timeline for Judge Dredd, his story is set in the immediate aftermath of the nuclear war that created the Cursed Earth. By now his stories are set approximately 50 years after the war. Fallout 4 is set 210 years after the war so using 2000AD's timeline that would put the storyline much closer to the Strontium Dog era being set approximately 110 years after the first nuclear war. Realistically we probably don't want to go much closer to Fallout 4's 210 years as that puts us into the Rogue Trooper era (Nu Earth mod anyone?)

3. MyffyW Silver badge

A dark little part of my heart remembers Strontium Dog, sandwiched between my Beano-days and an almost obsessional devotion to Melody Maker.

2. Alien8n

I wouldn't expect anything less on this site :)

I've recently been re-reading the entire back catalogue, got as far as prog 1600 (ish). Still reads as good now as it did the first time around. Playing Fallout 4 so running behind on my reading schedule but had a thought last night, Fallout 4 really needs a Dredd mod :)

1. Jagged

A Cursed Earth Mod?

1. Alien8n

Wouldn't need much, a few new mutations, turn the death claws into tyrannosaurs. Imagine the horror of chancing on a raider site and suddenly having Mean Machine on 4 running at you. Swap out some of the ghouls for starspawn hosts.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Go

Yes the MOD is Cursed on the very earth it stands

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's GTA V that needs a Dredd mod.

Stars rise over time, Dredd reduces them....

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. John Crisp

Bad move

I should never have let my girlfriend (now wife) make me throw out the first 100 or so consecutive ones I had.. collected whilst a paper boy... read once, stacked neatly.

Probably worth a mint now. Grrrrr...

1. Dan Paul

Re: Bad move

True, John

Males should NEVER let any Female determine the worth of comics, graphic novels or any other stuff they have no interest in.

My father collected comics until he went to WWII. His mother decided to clean his room out while he was gone so his first edition Superman went to the paper drive along with hundreds of others he had collected over the years. Let's not even get into the values of the bubble gum baseball cards from the 1920's and 30's that went into that same bin.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like