back to article Greeks best in the world – at, er, breaking their mobile phones

Insurance is dull. Mobile phone insurance is doubly so, to spice it up insurance company SquareTrade has published figures for how good people in different countries are at using their phones without falling over. It transpires that the Poles and Belgians are very good, while the Greeks and Italians are the most likely to have …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Now do...

...dinner plates.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Greeks don't throw plates, Creteans throw plates...

And on a more scandalous note, Jesus Phones are more fragile than other makes... discuss...

1. Soap Distant
      Joke

Didn't know dolphins used plates even :O

Ok I'm gone

SD

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Didn't know dolphins used plates even"

Cetacean needed...

3. Ted Treen
    Meh

Incomplete data...

We aren't told what percentage of phones (by brand & model) are insured.

There are many people who have an expensive phone, but because of the hugely expensive 'Airtime Provider' insurance, simply don't bother.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

"And iPhone users are the most clumsy smartphone users"

Let me guess, especially in September.

1. Psyx

Just sayin'

The other explanation to Apple users being more cackhanded is that Apple phones are more likely to be damaged by a drop, or are less likely to be protected by/kept in a case.

1. Squander Two

Re: Just sayin'

Apple keep going on and on and on about how wonderful it is that their devices are encased in aluminium. But this is marketing nonsense. The bit of the phone that is protected by being made of strong aluminium is the case -- the one bit that doesn't matter. The very fact that it takes an impact so well means that it is transferring the force to the screen and the internal components. Drop a plastic phone, and the plastic absorbs the impact. But it looks less shiny and expensive.

Over the last few decades, drivers haven't been made safer by using more and more rigid metal in the construction of cars' bodywork.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Are there any statistics on how many TVs get smashed

whenever a certain patronising over-priced personal device insurance advert is broadcast?

6. Mr C

footsoldier reporting in

As a daily subway traveler in Athens I can confirm i daily see phones with cracked screens, people dropping their phone (only to sometimes sub-sequentially see it getting stepped on by passers-by) and other such fun stuff.

Best i saw was this guy who stopped the metro-doors from closing by putting his iPhone between the doors. Sure enough, the doors opened again :)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are the noticed the smarter the phone the increased the dumbness the operator?

sended from my Windowes phony

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I work in Greece every summer as a DJ and can say that most Greeks have a ropey looking iPhone.

I've never smashed a phone until I dropped my Galaxy S3 a few months back shattering the screen. I've dropped it a million times on the carpet at home in the UK but one explanation is that Greeks don't carpet floors like we do.

Phone + Terracotta floor tiles = Insurance claim.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

dropped it a million times

so, if you've owned it maybe 2.5 years, and given there are 0.5 Megaminutes per year, you've been dropping your phone about once a minute.

Ever thought of using adhesive gloves? :-)

2. dogged

> Phone + Terracotta floor tiles = Insurance claim.

Have to agree with this. In the last place we lived - stone floors, underfloor heating, very nice - I actually managed to shatter the screen of a Nokia.

I didn't even think that could be done.

9. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

I object to the use of 'Cackhanded'

That is reserved for us 'Lefties' who have to struggle in a Right-handed world.

People (inclusing us lefties) are just clumsy by nature. Everyone is to a lesser or greater extent.

Now if all the phone users who dropeed and smashed their phones were just lefties then it would be (IMHO) acceptable to use the term 'Cackhanded'.

10. crashtest
    Facepalm

So the most outgoing people in EU are breaking their phones most?

... Sounds legit!

11. NP-HARD
    Coat

Okay, I'll bite...

Could Greece-y hands be a factor?

It's the one with the doner kebab stains on the collar...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Okay, I'll bite...

*Good Grief*

Anyway, Donner Kebab? Someone needs to try a Pork Pita Gyros, and soon - you're missing out on a treat matey. Nom Nom. Mine's the one with a SqueezyJet return ticket in the pocket...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any surprise - given the corrupt nature of the 'workers' in those countries?

Italy, Greece and Spain are watch words for local corruption, backhanders, slackers and the work shy.

No surprise they cheat the insurance systems too.

1. Dimitri

Re: Any surprise - given the corrupt nature of the 'workers' in those countries?

Thanks for that. No you're not a racist. Not at all. Twit.

13. John Savard

Time Is an Illusion

I recognized there was a Hitchhiker's Guide reference there, but it took me a moment to recall the precise one. I was thinking of "Space is big" at first.

14. midcapwarrior

natural selection at work

"Dr Louise Newson, a British GP, said: “I’ve seen a lot of mobile-related injuries in my surgery in the last 12 months, mostly from people tripping or bumping into something because they’ve been distracted by their smartphone. Some of the injuries are quite nasty.”

15. Tromos

The number one position may be due to the state of the pavements in Greece. Outside of tourist areas, the few pavements that exist haven't been maintained since the days Greece was a monarchy.

16. Dimitri

When good data is used by idiot marketeers...

There's no mobile phone insurance in Greece, just some extended warranties which include screen replacement and have zero take-up. People in Greece can't afford health or car insurance, let alone phone insurance. So there's no relevant data set they could possibly be using.

So there's two possibilities:

1) they're looking at sales of replacement parts. These will certainly be very high in Greece because people hold on to their phones for a long time before upgrading (the iPhone 4/4s is still the dominant handset). Most phones were acquired via carrier subsidies, which all but disappeared in the last few years.

2) The source of the data set is their collective posterior.

Either way the don't care about accurate analysis, they just their puff piece published to get some publicity for Square Trade.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like