back to article Ransomware-as-a-service surfaces, wants 10 percent profit cut

Web scum are offering another ransomware as a service model under which ill-gotten gains are split between VXers and buyers. The CryptoLocker service by FAKBEN ransomware noted by Salted Hash is the creation of an individual or VXer group that is flogging its ransomware through a Tor Hidden Service. No technical information …

1. Steven Roper

Oh, THAT kind of ransomware

When I saw the words "Ransomware" and "as-a-service" I thought you were talking about Windows 10 and Microsoft's new business model.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh, THAT kind of ransomware

Same here, after seeing "ransomeware", "surfaces", and "10"

2. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge

I fucking hate microsoft

1. TAJW

So, don't use their products. It's a lot easier than harboring so much hate, dude.

2. Michael Habel

No Linux support then

So no love for Attic (flightless) Birds then?

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

So this isn't a FBI sting then?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sport the difference

SaaS vs RaaS

I guess the only difference is initial consent.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Death to these perps

Nothing short of death will be acceptable punishment for these bottom feeders.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Death to these perps

I've been here for nearly three years. In that time you've gone through what, 6 troll accounts? You're not a valuable commentard – all you do is "anonymously" post one-line prison rape fantasies.

I'm tempted to just zap your accounts on sight. You need help.

1. Steven Roper

Re: Death to these perps

I hope that attitude doesn't extend to me though. I say this because, while that AC is not me, I know I've posted some pretty vitriolic death-wishes on scamming scumbags myself in my years here - all on the same account I signed up here with in about 2007 or somewhere thereabouts. Compared to some of the things I've posted I'd like to do to scammers, that AC is actually pretty tame. The main difference is I put my name to my rantings when discussing such matters.

Perhaps that AC has had multiple troll accounts and has posted far worse things using them, and perhaps that's what prompted your response. I don't have your mod's-eye view of the commentards here, so I can't judge that. But I think also that you journalists write these things to stir up strong emotions, because that's how you get views and comments. So why do you act so surprised when people express strong emotions to stories you've written specifically to elicit just such a response?

There's a reason we in the El Reg reader community refer to ourselves as "commentards." The word in itself is a humourously self-deprecating statement about the readership you've garnered with your particular style of reporting. I know, because I am one!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like