back to article D-Wave heads for New Mexico

The Los Alamos National Laboratory has become the latest organisation to give quantum annealing a whirl, with D-Wave announcing that the facility will take delivery of its thousand-qubit 2X system. The national security research outfit will be collaborating with the Department of Energy and “selected university partners” to …

1. TimR

opimala?

"In quantum annealing, the “lowest energy state” of the machine's qubits is meant to correspond to the opimala solution of a problem"

And there I was thinking that I was just beginning to understand this quantum computing lark...

1. Tromos

Re: opimala?

It's a quantum word. It was fine in the article as it was written, but now that we've observed it...

2. harmjschoonhoven
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: opimala?

0x6f70696d616c61. The Quantum Computer says so. It must be TRUE.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spelling checker on the blink?

Obama?

Impala?

Surely not optimal.

1. OldSoCalCoder

Re: Spelling checker on the blink?

'...is meant to correspond to the oompaloompah solution of a problem...'. There. Makes more sense to me now.

3. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Yes, it is a Quantum computer.

Oh, err... but since I've now observed it I'm not so sure. Oh heck - to be honest I've no idea as I don't actually understand half of the blurb on their webpage.

Colour me very interested though. But I'd refute the statement about not having to blow things up. Surely it's always much more fun to blow things up. Small countries and brown people and the like?

4. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"thousand-qubit"

Factoring keys. Wiki says: "For example as of May 2007, a 1039 bit integer was factored with the special number field sieve using 400 computers over 11 months."

400 computers. 11 months.

So I'd like to see D-Wave factor a 1000-bit integer in less than a millisecond. And this test shall be repeated N times in one morning, where N might be on the order of a hundred.

The last I heard, it wasn't entirely clear that this technology actually works. The above test would prove it conclusively. Why haven't they done this yet?

Did I miss the memo?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: "thousand-qubit"

Dwave don't claim it to be capable of Shor's algorithm. It may, or may not be faster than classical computers at some problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shor%27s_algorithm

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/10496/what-can-the-d-wave-quantum-computer-do

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

Quantum annealing is suppose to instantaneously consider all possible solutions at once, and then settle on the solution directly.

Factoring a big number becomes simple multiplication, f1 x f2 = given big integer

Assuming you'd have to use a legacy algorithm is obviously nonsense. Why on Earth would you make that assumption?

If a D-wave can't perform this simple canonical problem on demand, then it smells like BS-ware.

PS, your stackexchange link has a highly rated answer that supports my position.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Quantum annealing is suppose to instantaneously consider all possible solutions at once, and then settle on the solution directly.

No, that is not what quantum annealing is "suppose" to do, or even what it is supposed to do, at least by people qualified to make a sensible supposition about it. Quantum annealing superimposes the equally-weighted candidate states, then gradually evolves them in parallel toward the global minimum, with quantum tunneling between states. It doesn't "settle on the solution directly".

QA isn't really very different from classical simulated annealing algorithms, which simulate heating the system to force it out of local minima. (If you're familiar how e.g. Newton's method will get stuck at a local minimum, you should see how adding this sort of noise to the optimization process can bump the system out of the local minimum and let it seek a lower one.) QA offers the possibility of just jumping right from one local minimum through a "wall" into a lower one, so you don't have to heat the system up enough to climb that wall. The Wikipedia entry has a diagram that demonstrates the idea visually.

So all QA does is try to speed up simulated annealing by taking some shortcuts during the optimization loop.

DWave machines are not universal quantum computers (if they're quantum computers at all), because of how their chips are designed - specifically because of the topology of the qubit interconnects, apparently. You can't implement Shor's algorithm on them. (Well, you can, but it'd just be a conventional simulation, not a quantum implementation.)

This is noted in the StackExchange discussion, and in Scott Aaronson's blog.

In the SE discussion, Joe Fitzsimmons says that in principle QA can be used for universal QC, and I assume he's right about that; but he also notes that the DWave implementation isn't sufficiently general for that. Meanwhile, various researchers have implemented SA algorithms on conventional machines that outperform DWave on their own demonstration problems - see Aaronson for details.

1. JeffyPoooh
            Pint

"Quantum annealing superimposes the equally-weighted candidate states, then gradually evolves them in parallel toward the global minimum, with quantum tunneling between states."

Factor 1 * Factor 2 = a given 1000-bit number

Find the two factors. This is a trivial problem, but difficult.

If a quantum computer can't solve it, then what's the point?

Seriously! If it can't find a solution to this, then what's it for?

The D-Wave TreeStump 4000?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like