back to article Net neutrality protestors bundled out of UN conference

Efforts to protest Facebook's Internet.org project at the annual Internet Governance Forum (IGF) being held in Brazil this week were shut down by United Nations security staff. A video of the protest – carried out during an opening speech by Brazil's communication minister André Figueiredo – shows around 10 protestors holding …

1. Alan Denman

Violation ofthe .org principal.

....is even worse.

Far too many companies now masquerade under .org!

2. druck Silver badge

Free or not free

The Internet.org service – developed and led by Facebook – allows customers of certain mobile networks to access a number of services while having to pay for the data that they use. Those services include Wikipedia, BBC News, Facebook, and a range of local news and sports results providers.
    I thought the idea was the data for those services were free, and anything else had to be paid for - hence the outrage.

3. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Terminator

Facebook uber alles

Goodwin, I know.

1. Afernie

Re: Facebook uber alles

Godwin, but close enough.

4. pidloop

Pay or pay -- what's the difference?

"The Internet.org service – developed and led by Facebook – allows customers of certain mobile networks to access a number of services while having to pay for the data that they use. "

I don't get it, if they still pay for these data what's the difference with just browsing straight to the site?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pay or pay -- what's the difference?

Exactly!

These "Poor" people still need a device and connectivity to be able to access internet.org, so what is the real problem being solved here? Clearly it must be one of herding more consumers toward the Facebook service to further increase shareholder value.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like