back to article BT updates Home Hub Wi-Fi box with 802.11n

BT has updated its hacker-vulnerable Home Hub wireless box, introducing support for 802.11n Wi-Fi and - perhaps more importantly - the WPA security technology enabled out of the box. Designed to link in to BT's Total Broadband service, the new Home Hub doubles up as wireless router and DECT phone cradle. Nothing out of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Edward Pearson

Anybody with one of these new boxes...

I'd be very interested to know:

A) The underlying manufacturer (probably still Thomson)

B) The default SSID.

We shall see how improved this security really is...

2. Elmer Phud
    Boffin

Is it any better than the curent one.

I thought I was lucky when BT sent me a HomeHub box just as the old Voyager was dying. I've since had varying success with it.

I've never managed to get one laptop to connect to it unless I use a CAT 5 cable. It has a habit of slowing down until re-booted (no it's not the exchange doing it) and occasionally refuses to do anything unless the wireless is restarted.

Oh, and one machine wouldn't connect until I removed all the BT software that's supposed to make life easy (it was the only machine I tried to install the Sw on).

I'm toying with the idea of actually going out and buying a new box to see if it's stable. (Only two ethernet ports is a bit weak as well)

3. Dave

Just Cancelled with BT

Just Cancelled with BT because after 4 months we still haven't had our old style Home Hub delivered. They wouldn't let us have a shiny new HH because we were existing customers.

@Elmer. Try putting the transformer for the HH onto a UPS based powersupply. A less than clean power supply may be causing the HH problems.

4. Chris Wood

How many ethernet ports?

The big question for me is whether they've added more Ethernet ports. The old model only has two, one of which has to be connected to the BT Vision box if you have that service, leaving one for the main PC and then none for games consoles and the like.

I'd love to switch to a different router for this reason (and also the fact that the hub crashes every couple of days), but as I understand it BT Vision and BT FON *require* the use of the Home Hub.

5. Elmer Phud

@Dave

An existing customer - they gave me a new one though I didn't ask for it, maybe clearing out old crap stock.

I could always just get a decent power supply for it. One that doesn't run rather warm all the time - one that costs more than 50p.

6. MrM

Nothing BT Bother!

Took a total of 3 weeks to get up and running! and thats after the line was activated. Technical support is an absolute joke & the Home Hub is complete garbage! I smashed mine to smitherines last week when my O2 wireless box arrived. I now more than twice the speed for half the price!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Chris Wood

Why not invest in a separate switch ? You can have as many ports as you like then. It's not like your LAN will be maxing out a 100Mbps connection to an "up to 8Mb" line.

Misco have a dlink 5 port 100Mbps for less than £9, and there are other makes for less. You could even bridge to a switch wirelessly, and not need the router near the pc.

8. AustinTX
    Flame

Does this new router include BT FON?

Fon is a network of public hotspots which BT customers may opt-into. Bandwidth used by guests are not counted agains the BT customer's normal allotment.

Does this new 802.11n router include the BT-FON ability? This would make them the very first n-Fon hotspots!

9. Simon Says

@How many ethernet ports

4 according to this page on the BT beta forums:

http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/ann.jspa?annID=103

Also says the admin access login is different from the serial number now.

I'll certainly be keeping close tabs on this new homehub as I'm nearing the end of my contract with BT and had been planning to move to O2 broadband instead (even though I've been finding the BT Vision service quite useful) - if this new hardware is half decent and BT get ADSL2 services up and running "Soon™" then I may reconsider.

10. pctechxp

@Simon Says

The following link should tell you when your exchange goes live on the BT 21st Century Network (as opposed to the 19th century one we have now), when this happens ADSL 2+ should be available.

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

11. Edward

Details?

Anybody?

Can somebody with one of these new boxes post up some details for me please?

Serial Number, Wireless SSID, Default key

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like