back to article Drone deals DEATH – to deadly starfish

An Australian university is about to start deploying drones on a seek-and-destroy mission. The target? The Crown of Thorns Starfish, which is famously a serious danger to the country's Great Barrier Reef. The invading predator first emerged as a problem for the reef in the 1960s, and since then it's been blamed for coral cover …

1. DocJames
    Joke

Better heading possible surely

Other cheek not turned to Crown of Thorns: "Jesus" swore poisoned starfish

I know I shouldn't introduce religion or jokes vaguely related on teh internets, but it sprang fully formed into my mind.

2. Denarius
    Terminator

more of the Rise of The Machines

especially when surfacing. Perhaps the drones do get the point across too. My coats the one that smells of dead coral

3. Jonathan Richards 1

Evolutionary drivers

The bot represents a very specific predator for the starfish, so deploying it at a large scale will rapidly produce an evolutionary pressure for the starfish to change their appearance: the ones that don't look too much like the bot's internal concept of a target will survive and breed. I really hope that somebody is going to make an ecological evolutionary study out of this, as well as dealing death to the coral-munchers.

Of course, reducing the nutrient runoff from Queensland agriculture could help, too.

1. Manolo
      Pirate

Re: Evolutionary drivers

"Of course, reducing the nutrient runoff from Queensland agriculture could help, too."

No, that is not what causes the COTS to proliferate. They have only one natural enemy: the Triton: a large shell that is nearly extinct due to human collection: they have beautiful shells.

(But reducing the run-off would still be beneficial to the marine environment, that much is true)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Human target

Time to get rid of those swimming trunks with the Crown of Thorns like pattern printed on the crotch!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Human target

Are they Speedos? Send them to Tony Abbott as a present.

5. PGTART

How to destroy robots that kill ?

Next problem would be how to get rid of all those robots

Unless they think how to get rid of all those humans

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

What about the hairy triton? Aren't we depriving it of food? Is there no evil that man and his machines will not do to nature?

1. Manolo

Re: Huh?

There are way too many COTS and way too few Tritons, due to human intervention. No need to worry about Tritons starving, worry about humans harvesting them instead.

7. JCitizen
    Holmes

Perhaps another tactic?

Use the robot to collect one of the starfish's natural enemies, one of which could be very effective, if the proper genus were known. A large polyp of the Pseudocorynactis is known to eat this starfish whole scale, but is apparently poorly understood as to which one of this genus is the true natural enemy. With capture by the robots, their DNA could be discovered and more of this specie spawned to combat the starfish as well. This could put a one two punch on the problem. The robot to zap a singular starfish, and capture any polys feeding on one in the area, then release juvenile forms of the polyp to eventually attack any Acanthaster planci that were missed during the initial robot hunt.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like