back to article G-Cloud sellers hit out against cap on scaling services

G-Cloud suppliers have hit out against new rules to be introduced in the next iteration of the cloudy framework this month. The new guidelines will slap a 20 per cap on how much buyers can scale their services. Trade association EuroCloud said the changes are incompatible with the pay-as-you-go cloud subscription model. The …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Probably due to spammers hiking usage when they do a new 'promotion'. Or hackers/crims wanting to crack passwords in bulk.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

I suspect the reason for this is to stop an organisation awarding a contract to a company, and then increasing the value of the contract by a substantial amount without re-tendering.

In a normal procurement contract I can see the point. But as cloud is supposed to be flexible, having a 20% cap does kind of sound like it's defeating the purpose of using the cloud.

1. deive

Yes, cloud is supposed to be flexible - for hosting (scale up, redundancy etc.) but not the whole contract! If this is dropped then the big players will just reduce their quotes, then after winning the contract will just ramp up price!

3. BearishTendencies

For a change.....

I'm with CCS here on this.

One of the premises behind G-Cloud is regular recompetition. If you can just extend and expand ad infinitum, you're not driving any market or value.

The problem though is what it is touted as being. From a supplier's perspective, its a licence to sell in any way you like. But it's not that at all. It's a licence for the buyer to buy the defined services. Making it clear the terms of that licence is probably appropriate.

4. solo

Hard hitting reality

Cloud realizing it's shoe size.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon