back to article Microsoft confirms 60GB Xbox 360

Microsoft has broken its silence and officially unveiled the latest addition to its Xbox 360 line-up: a 60GB HDD-equipped console. Register Hardware reported last week that a leaked email – supposedly sent to retailers by Microsoft’s Xbox division – outlined the firm’s plans to launch a new model with an integrated 60GB HDD. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark
    Gates Horns

PS3 CAN HANDLE ANY HDD!!!

So why the big news for a second rate console that forces you to a certain size?

Supporting a certain side are we reg?

Join the superior team, buy a PS3 and play games with me. For gods sake won't someone please play a game on PSN.

2. Stu
    Pirate

Wow, 60Gb HDD eh?

...lets just hope Microsoft have something decent to announce at E3, lets say, a whole new XBox (Xbox720)?

I'm not even going to mention my PS3s disk size.

Oh wait, was THIS the big announcement from MS this year at E3???

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not so good.

Here i was hoping the 60GB would be the new hardware with the cooler running GPU, it looks like it's not however, it's the same unreliable hardware used in the premiums and elites, just with a new sized HDD.

To me, it sounds like the new configuration and price cuts are to try and clear the shelves of the faulty ones, to make room for the next hardware revisions.

4. Philip Cheeseman
    Gates Horns

Why bother with the arcade anymore?

If one with a HD is £10 more, who'll buy an arcade?

5. Greg

But what's the point?

Serious question. Why does this new version need to exist. Or is constantly releasing slightly different versions of the same thing Microsoft's way of "keeping things fresh"?

6. David Gosnell

Can someone please explain...

Can someone please explain why hard-disk equipped consoles are factory-fitted with such paltry units? 20GB, 60GB ... like wow, didn't I have that on my desktop five years ago? The drives are hardly mainstream any more, so surely cost above the odds unless they're using dusty stockpiles no-one else wants to touch with a bargepole.

7. Alex
    Joke

What's this...?

MS behind the times?? Lordy lordy, next it will be an Xbox with everything included that's an optional extra, coupled with a BR drive..

:op

8. Joe K

Missed something

"While stocks last"

The 20GB may have had its price dropped, but its only for clearance, that SKU is being dropped.

So once thats gone, there is no real price drop, just a few more gigs processed through microsofts insane Dollars-per-gig pricing structure.

9. Mark
    Gates Horns

Just spend another £200

and get a PS3 with everything in it you ever needed

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: PS3 CAN HANDLE ANY HDD!!!

The 360 can probably handle 'ANY HDD!!!' as well, trouble is you've got to jump through fiery hoops to actually effect the change - just like the old Xbox, in fact.

Until there's a compelling reason to buy a 'next-generation' console, I'm sticking with my PS2.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Mark

"Join the superior team, buy a PS3 and play games with me. "

*hehe* Feeling lonely playing online by yourself on all 4 of your state of the art games? ;)

Playstation - the 3rd place - loneliness! *lol*

*\. Mines the one not pretending to be a tent.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@mark

My Xbox HAS everything I ever needed and has done since release day. It plays games, it allows me to play games online and thats all I need it to do. Its a GAMES console. Shame Sony spent a whole year extra on developing something that the only decent games are almost exactly the same as the 360 ones. GTA 3, Oblivion etc. Might have bought one if they hadn't spent so long trying to turn it into a sub standard PC.

Still don't get the fascination with HDD sizes either. My 20GB release day drive isn't even half full.

Perhaps there are folk daft enough to try and use a games machine as their MP3 library or to watch downloaded films that take days to download but personally I'd rather play games on it rather than try and pretend its a PC or iMac.

Maybe one day when you can download full HD movies quickly (i.e. the UK sorts out its broadband speeds) and for a decent price then fair enough but until that day my HDD will continue to be used for storing saved games and thats about it.

13. martin gregory

Yeah trojan horse worked for the greeks

Yeah we should all buy a ps3, how else is sony going to recoup its blu ray and cell costs. Pity its lousy at playing games.

personally i cant wait for a cell powered Aibo.

14. Kenny Millar
    Stop

@stu NO not 60Gb, 60GB

You don't know your bits (b) from your bytes (B).

15. steve
    Unhappy

Boring Boring PS3 flamers...

I do not generally comment on sites as you get really tired of the same old fanboy rubbish posts. Why oh why do ps3 owners feel obliged to constantly flame any points to do with X360 or Wii? Do you not feel like schoolkids? The only reason I can think of is fear that the once mighty sony have fallen down the technology ladder and are just a run of the mill company now. Sad.

16. soaklord
    Jobs Horns

I'm with the AC

Why would you need all that space? Seriously? I bought an Elite to get the smaller chip/black box. Downloaded a couple of shows (Robot Chicken Star Wars), a couple of videos, tons of saved games, got a couple of the downloadable maps, an Xbox original game... And I still haven't used 10gb. So I have about 100 gigs of space sitting idle. As for other content... I use my box as a media extender, but I have a server with TONS more space... so I just stream via ORB to ANYWHERE in the house, world. Why store it all on a proprietary machine? PS3 or Xbox? About the only use I can see for a HD of that size is if Xbox Live starts offering Pron that isn't a rental... Then it might fill up rather quickly. Or if the game discs become huge zip repositories and the game needs to unload and install on the HD like PCs... Then maybe...

As for the Console Wars... Both Sony and MS are huge, evil empires. Both insist on proprietary formats, do everything they can to control the marketplace, and spend more time trying to stop copying than trying to innovate. Both sourced proprietary hardware, and when you consider the cost of a PATA HD, neither should probably come with one, rather should come with a hotswap slot and allow you to plug in your own... Or SATA, I don't care which.

Sony appears to be in a downcycle at the moment in my mind despite winning the BR-HDDVD wars. PS2 was amazing, wanted one from the day they came out, didn't get around to get one until 2007 when someone gave me theirs. PS2 4tw because they had the most games, the most versatility, and networked gaming and were first to market... Hmm... Xbox 360... Most games, most versatility, first to market...

I'll probably pick up a PS3 when I decide that I need some of my movies in HD, rather than upscaled 1080i...

17. Monkey

Steve

In fairness it's not all PS3 owners. Just the odd couple of morons who always do the console cock waving gestures. 360 morons do it when the shoe is on the other foot.

Mark, making the opening comment, is the absolute prime pro PS3 knobber and most people ignore him for that very reason.

This is the man after all who stated that the latest PS3 firmware enabled native HD-DVD playback....

And besides, most PS3 owners with more than half a brain and an income are likely to own the 360 as well.

18. Alex
    Paris Hilton

@ Steve & @Monkey

@ Steve:

Um... it's actually "6 of one; half a dozen of the other". It's not all of us "Console Kids" that like to cock wave (although I do like to 'stoke' the fire every now and then! ha ha!)

@ Monkey:

You might notice that one minute 'Mark' is giving reasonable comments, and then the next he isn't. It's another case of duplicated usernames (as there is also someone with my name posting on here too, aside from me). So one poster becomes two :o)

As for HD sizes, who cares... until a PVR materialises, it's pointless to upgrade.. No point in pushing moveis down to the PS3/Xbox as it can be streamed quite nicely. The cost of upgrading is significantly more than the power it takes to run a PC which you'll already have on anyway (well, if you are that way inclined I suppose. If not, then I suppose you'll have to stump up the 50-80 quid to upgrade).

Again, cock-waving aside, who cares...

Paris, because she is the Queen of judging cock waving.

19. Iain

@Greg

The point is that 20Gb 2.5" SATA drives aren't competitively priced in comparison to the 60Gb ones any more, so Microsoft are switching. Having the same size drive as the PS3 is probably a useful tech-spec bonus for people who make their console investment based on such things, and it also may be tied into the Netflix announcement, which generates something to put on all that space.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like