back to article Reg readers kickstart WiReD UK recovery

So WiReD magazine is returning to the UK next year, after an 11 year absence. The very idea of "a UK edition of WiReD" is as strange as one of those creepy medical experiments where boffins graft an ear onto the back of a mouse; but you have to admire the suicidal determination of the publisher, Conde Naste. Last week we …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joe K
    Thumb Up

Missiles are indeed awesome

These too, more of these on a friday please.

Oddly, also made me wish i could pick up a copy of Wired right now, if only for nostalgias sake.

Oh 1995, those were the days.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Go

@Joe K

"also made me wish i could pick up a copy of Wired right now"

You can! Comag Distribution supply imports across the UK. I saw one at Waverley Station just yesterday morning.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Hang on a sec...

13 covers?

Thats.. like.. 12 months plus a Christmas bumper must-have-gadget liftout! A bit of content, a bucket load of advertising and just sit back and wheel in the contra!

How hard can this magazine lark be, anyway?

4. E_Nigma
    Thumb Up

Vader Rules!

Having seen the cover with Darth Vader, his posture above all, and having read the "Killing subordinates increased competence in minions" made me and my friend/coworker laugh out loud, true "CEO of the year" stuff!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Blush blush...

I hope the fame doesn't go to my head. I'd hate to end up on one of those VH1 "Behind the..." shows.

6. Joe K

@me

No i meant a copy of a proper UK Wired, with stories about... i dunno, tea, or something.

7. Pete James

Congrats to David

That was a brilliant bit of work there David, good as the others were I applaud you!

Nice compo too RegStaffers - and a tad more polite than the B3ta ones as well! ;-)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Proper UK Wired"

[Joe K] What, like "Biscuits 2.0"?

A missed opportunity. *sigh*

9. Dan Wade

"Wired U.S Edition" is a waste of paper

Delighted that Costco started carrying Wired U.S, I've been picking up a copy for the past couple of months, but not any more. Deluged by advertising, it's almost impossible to find the editorial content. So bad, in fact, that I almost abandoned the latest edition and dispatched it to the recycling bin. £4.50 for a magazine full of glossy ads is a bit too much to ask. Let's hope the new Wired U.K edition manages to strike a better balance between editorial and advertising..

Dan

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Your body moves just like the crack of a whip

In that last one - is Kevin Warwick shooting up?

11. Phil Hare
    Coat

Very good...

I'm beginning to think Andrew put mine up there just to show everyone how lazy I actually am.

Brilliant work from everyone else!

Pub time...

12. Dive Fox
    Happy

In 24 hours...

These will be on eBaumsworld.

Seriously, though, El Reg needs something to compete with Photoshop Phriday.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Class !

Nothing better than coming home after an Orwelian Friday and throwing tea all over myself whilist chuckling like the maddest mad man whos just won the maddest man of the year contest !

Nice too have a smile put back on my face after a bitch of a week...

Quality

14. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

>> strike a better balance between editorial and advertising

Really? Did I miss something?

I stopped reading Wired because I got fed up when the advertising *was* the article! Every time some new movie came out, there was a whole edition of Wired devoted to it. "Spider Man 3 & the biology of Web 2.0", and other stupid shit like that. Not to mention that they thought it was "cool" to put "beta" at the top of their site in some nostalgic animated-gif-guy-with-shovel fashion, or the fact that they stopped producing "articles" with real life editing and such, and instead turned the whole pile of crap into a blog where every writer got to spew whatever textual diarrhea they wanted without having to justify or proof read it. They really used to have some good content, but now reading it makes me feel dirty.

BTW - for an American who missed the joke, why was Wired UK so reviled? Or did I just hit the nail on the head?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Brent Gardner

Maybe Brits are just too cultured. Americans don't know the difference, but a true Englishman reads WiReD and says to his friend, "Pip pip, old chap, I DO say this magazine is QUITE a bother, what what!"

Or something like that.

16. Ian McNee
    Heart

Oohhhh....so that's her name!

Sandy Crack! So cute, I think I'm in love....oops...now where are those screen wipes...??

17. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

Re: In 24 hours...

"Seriously, though, El Reg needs something to compete with Photoshop Phriday."

I was chuffed to bits, too. The response was fantastic, but I have a follow-up in mind that's even better.

But one question: should we run it on a Phriday? Or a Fursday? Or what?

18. alphaxion

tit-le

"Mockup Muntday!"

You know it's right! ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.