back to article Apple iPhone 3G

The iPhone 3G went on sale this morning, and we were down at our local O2 store before opening this morning to pick up ours, thanks to the nice chaps at O2 - the UK’s exclusive iPhone carrier. Can't see the video? Download Flash PLayer from Adobe.com More video reviews at ChannelFlip.com Round-up Ten 3G iPhone alternatives …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pierre
    Dead Vulture

When?

When did El Reg turn into YouTube? I mean, c'mon. We need charts and tables. We are weregeeks, not LOL-kiddies.

2. jai

mouse

y'know - it's possible to record the Keynote presentations without the mouse icon being visible too - makes it look a little less amateur

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

iPod touch available in England??

When will it be available in the rest of the country ?

Oh right - another chunk of English arrogance.....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Heh

heh heh

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Good review

Nice review, good to here something from the UK taling about the experience of the UK consumer, go El Reg.

6. Francis Vaughan
    Thumb Down

What a waste of time

A talking head geek in a black t-shirt spouting a condensed version of stuff we have known for months with a few seconds of blurry useless video of the iPhone, again with nothing not known for months. The presentation would have been vaguely appropriate on some low budget children's show. Perhaps the presenter secretly has ambitions in this direction.

This is the sort of rubbish one would expect to receive the sharp end of the cynical invective we love el Reg for. Not to be blandly pushed as content. After watching this waste of time someone owes me three minutes of my life.

7. Colonel Panic
    Jobs Horns

Very impressive, but....

Palm ate the Newton's lunch by doing four basic things right: contacts, calendar, notes and tasks (oh, and not giving its users a hernia).

The Palm was useful because those worked well on the device and synched with the desktop.

Does the iPhone do that ? er... nope. The "Notes" app still doesn't sync.

And fer fracks sake - three words Steve: cut - and - paste.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good review??

I thought it was a bit boring and missed a few important downers.

How about breaking news instead?

iPhone Developer Program is open for business. £59 inc. VAT

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

How much did Apple pay The Register to shill?

Or did you not notice the iPhone software meltdown today?

10. Webster Phreaky
    Jobs Horns

Apple TANKS on iPhone v2 BUGS!!! Bwah ha ha ha ha ...

AAPL 172.58 -4.05 Apple schlock stock TANKS far worse than any other NASDAQ tech stock on Friday - iPhony 3G (after everyone else has one - de-butt day, by a factor of 4 times lower. Even Motorola was up!

Reason: despite all the Apple Hack Media's ranting and raving over their free iphone from sugar daddy Stevie Gods (like this articles whore writer), Wall Street knows its still is a dog. And of course Apple screws up on launch day, same ol shit. The proof is in the numbers Apple Kool Aid Drinkers.

11. Ralphe Neill
    Dead Vulture

Boring ...

Who was that boring man waving his hands around and stroking his ego instead of "stroking" the 'phone? Boring ...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

WTF - flash needed...

i dont think so... where is the text fools?

second thoughts, dont worry - there is no way i am buying a jesus phone, i am not that stupid

but i would have liked to READ the review

13. Huw Evans
    Thumb Down

England - how about the rest of the UK?????

"To get the iPhone 3G here in England" - so how do you buy it anywhere else in the UK Wil? Try leaving London occasionally you knob.

14. Stef
    Flame

90 fraking %?!

No MMS, no video calling, no cut and paste, around £2000 true cost - there are far better phones for far less!

15. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Stop

This truly is...

The headline product for a very lost and misguided generation of people.

That bloke is a twat also.

16. Thomas

"Ten 3G iPhone alternatives"

Actually, I believe the reader-baiting title you used for that article was "The Top Ten 3G iPhone beaters".

17. Rolf Howarth

@Stef

Where on earth did you come up with a figure of £2000 from???? For a typical user on a £35/month contract the total cost over the contract is £730 but that's a completely daft way of looking at it. Find me an operator and a phone manufacturer who will provide a smart phone and mobile service with inclusive minutes and text and unlimited data and, er, not charge you anything for it, and I'll gladly take up their offer.

18. Bad Beaver

yawn

Very, very superfluous. As in not worth watching. Stop the waste.

@ Colonel Panic: You could take a Newton and employ it to very nicely smash a Palm to itty bitty little pieces. Convenient and most satisfying. Also, the Newton with graceful ease did a lot of things which Apple *still* did not manage to put into the darn phone. Copy & Paste being the least. It was a powerful, intuitive and autonomous system. It is a shame that Apple is still running behind its own expertise from more than a decade ago in this field.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

iPocalypse

ABC hit the nail on the head calling the iPhone v2 software disaster "iPocalypse".

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/AheadoftheCurve/story?id=5348942&page=1

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fools and their money easily parted?...

So, to summarise:

Its >exactly< the same as a the original iPhone but now with "Highly location dependant" 3G... Woooooooo!

Its now got a plastic back but "be aware that it [the black one] does pick up finger prints like nobodies business"... Yet more reasons for the "desperately fashionable" to whip out their iPhones and obsessively polish them... in full view of course! (Most probably with the same DISGUSTED, frowning twat face as the bloke in the video too!)

Wow, thats real progress Apple!!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Who uses MMS and video calling?

I was forced to abandon my Nokia 6310i when it finally died, so I have a Sony K800i. I don't use MMS and Video Calling, mainly because most calls are business oriented and callers are aged over 40 (I'm prepared for some flack on this). Who needs cut and paste on a phone ? Browsing on the K800i is just about bearable, it needs a bigger screen.

I'm out of contract, was seriously thinking about getting the new iPhone, alas, none in stock. Now I'm reading reviews and there are many extreme views, people seem to either love it or hate it - nothing too objective.

Thumb down - the video was a waste of time, El Reg does not seem to know it's audience... this stuff is for YouTube or Channel 5

22. Thomas

@"Fools and their money easily parted?... "

It also adds GPS, but yeah — otherwise the only thing you obtain by buying a new iPhone if you already have an old one is the 3G connection if you live in an area covered by the relevant operator's 3G service.

The plastic back is supposed to be something to do with metal blocking the 3G signal or something, don't ask me about that.

I think the big news is that the price now appears to be much lower to end users, but if I already had one then I can't imagine there'd be much reason to upgrade.

23. Jet Set Willy

How ironic

I can't view the review on my iPhone!

Apple really needs to add Flash support to truly offer the full web to mobile peeps. Great product though - I only bought because I came in to some money at the right time. New tariffs finally make it sellable.

On another note, I thought I'd try my arm at getting a 3G iPhone on Friday but there were 7 male 40 somethings in front of me and the O2 shop (in a sleepy Somerset market town) only had 5 to dish out. No great loss. I can wait and round here 3G really doesn't mean much but my wife wants my old one.

24. Rob McDougall
    Thumb Down

what a twat

feckin "Wil" and his "I've got an unusual way of spelling my name like Thom Yorke" mentality...

The production values of this piece were so shoddy. Who the feck uses keynote for their graphics and then leaves the bloody mouse pointer on the screen?! let alone the fact that the gradient looks awful on such a low bit-rate flash codec.

gash. next time buy me an iPhone and a video camera and I'll sick out a better video review...

25. O
    Thumb Down

Awful review & a diabolical presenter.

Honestly, can the Reg really not do any better? You seem to plumb new depths with each passing day, with a Fox News-like editorial policy on environmental issues & grossly simplified coverage of anything tech related. This review exemplifies the latter problem; the clueless geek in the video would be more suited to CBBC than here.

Please, please arrest this decline before it becomes terminal :-(

26. Steven Pepperell
    Paris Hilton

The video review would of been so much better......

...if his beard was set on fire. Goateess can be good, or like this guy they can be teh spawn of satan himself.

Also WTF is this doing on the Reg. Im a proud reader of El Reg, but guys and gals we dont want a review buy some halfwit gadget show host. We want the full on technical orgy that only a geek review can give.

Mind you wouldnt never think about buying it anyway.

Paris, cause when she does a video you get what you want...

27. Mr Fury
    Unhappy

The phone may be good, the service on the other hand...

Got my iPhone on Friday, finally managed to activate it today only to find O2 haven't actually got around to setting up everyones connectivity - by end of today apparently (so tomorrow then).

If this is this is the Apple/O2 'experience', then so far its a pretty shitty one.

I'd love to say how good the phone is, but currently its functionality is pretty much down to dicking around with the touch screen. The phone itself may be good - I'll find out when O2 pull their fingers out - but I would in no way recommend it to anyone, there are just too many hassles and too much jumping through hoops in order to get a sodding phone to just work.

Never had such hassles with a phone before, and when I upgrade from the iPhone in a couple of years I can guarantee it won't be to another Apple product after this - I want something I can stick my sim into and have it work straight off, no having to wait for iTunes to activate it or anything, but just work.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like