back to article Zuk it and see: China’s stealth seduction of Western phone buyers

It sounds like a Facebook tribute, but “Zuk” is one of the more significant smartphone ventures to launch this year. It's another sign that Chinese manufacturers are threatening to leave high-priced big-brand flagships stranded. Given that the mighty Lenovo is behind Zuk, it’s one should probably be on your radar. What the …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: 1980s_coder

From the Z1 specs page:

"Both SIM1 and SIM2 support 4G networks, you can choose the data service mode in the setting; one SIM will be 4G while the other SIM can only use GSM networks."

HTH.

C.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

So...

This how Zuk conquers the universe? Learns Chinese from his wife, spouts in Chinese to the Chinese market, makes X number of billions he already has, and divorces said Chinese wife?

Oh, wait, this a story about real phones, not phoenys?

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/24/technology/mark-zuckerberg-speech-chinese/

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"It has a a 5.5" (1080 x 1920 pixel) touchscreen..."

Next!

When you need a bag to comfortably carry your phone around, it no longer can be classed as mobile.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: "It has a a 5.5" (1080 x 1920 pixel) touchscreen..."

Yeah, it would be nice if these generic Chinese Snapdragon 80x phones came in a smaller form. Still, the Sony Z3 / 4 / 5 Compact phones are available.

Given the positive reception these sub-5" handsets have received (smaller screen helping better battery life) I'm surprised more vendors haven't followed suit.

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

Wow, finger print scanner but no NFC to make use of it. Contactless payments might not be on Chins's horizon but they are, like it or not, in Europe and the USA.

5. Shadow Systems

Capacitive buttons? *Sigh*

Even without the expandable memory, it sounded like a winner.

Right up until it mentioned the capacitive buttons. They might be ok for you Sighted Folks whom can see to avoid them, see to touch them, see to know you've triggered one, & can see to easily back out/cancel the phone doing something you didn't intend, but the Blind can't feel them to find them, don't get any tactile feedback to know we've triggered one, and don't know what the fek the phone is doing "for no apparent reason" because we HAVE triggered it but had no way of KNOWING that fact.

Unless I decide to sell my first born to become an Apple user, my options of Accessible SmartPhones is limited to the few that have physical keyboards. I'm not entirely sure the new BlackBerry Priv will do what I need in a way I need it to work, but what other choices do I have? Especially being that I'm shackled to Verizon as my carrier & can't afford the Early Termination Fees they'd ram up my ass for daring to think about switching to a competitor.

This phone sounded like it might be fast enough & have the RAM to multitask the Screen Reader Environment (SRE) as the required subsystem for me to use the phone in all the ways those with vision can do without the SRE. While 64Gig of internal-only storeage isn't a lot, the fact that the phone supposedly identifies itself as a Generic Mass Storeage Device to a Windows computer meant I could easily transfer files to/from the device. The expansive set of compatible frequencies it used meant it might even run on my carrier. A battery that would probably last me a week between charges was freaking impressive as hell. And for a fairly reasonable price? Great!

Whoops, rein that horse in thar, Cowboy, tharz a problem in them thar hills. It's called Capacitive Buttons.

Damn it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like