back to article New Horizons: Pluto? Been there, done that – now for something 6.4 billion km away

The Pluto-gawping New Horizons space probe is back in action and heading for a new target far out on the edges of the Solar System. New Horizons path To infinity and beyond! On Thursday the spacecraft's hydrazine-fueled thrusters were fired for 16 minutes at 1050 PT (1850 UTC) in the first of four maneuvers that will aim …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Alien

Hm! This artist's impression of a menacing globulous space rock being visted by New Horizons, vaguely squamous yet ruguous, uncannily lit from the wrong side while the sun is lost in a campy lens flare demands EXTRA OMINUOUS MUSIC.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Is 'Thus Spake Zarathustra' ominuous enough?

Yes, it is. Provided of course using this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsFFvthfEZg

The actual "music" is at here.

Yes, ominuous enuff. Please, blast it at the stars. As long as it has the B-Ark in its wake.

1. Bleu

Be careful. There may be something out there.

2. PhilK
    Coat

Slow download speeds

And I thought my satellite internet connection was slow...

1. Wommit

Re: Slow download speeds

1Kbs, about average for rural BT.

1. Graham Marsden

I used to have a modem that did 1kb per second :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I used to have a modem that did 1kb per second"

Was it asymmetrical and could only do 75bps in the opposite direction?

2. Lars Silver badge
          Linux

The first Linux distro I downloaded at hone, a Helix Code took some 8 to 9 hours, 99 perhaps. The earlier RedHats I downloaded at work until I was told "nicely" not to do it anymore.

2. stizzleswick
      Pint

Given the distance, and signal deterioration due to the magnetic fields and solar irradiation in between New Horizons and Earth, as well as (where the probe is currently travelling) the significantly higher-than-near-Earth amount of cosmic radiation, I find 1 kbps to be a pretty amazing achievement. Not to forget the constantly changing amount and speed of the charged particles of the Solar Wind, which is also detrimental to the type of WiFi being used here.

One might reciprocally conclude, as some other commentards have already noted but not spelled out as such, that rural England must be somewhere in the Kuiper Belt, rendering the entire effort having gone into the extended mission of New Horizons redundant. Just plonking down the probe somewhere in the Midlands should have done the job.

Pint of Proper Job, please...

1. Killing Time

It would be interesting to know how the NH data rate in relation to distance compares with older technologies such as that used on Voyager.

Voyager 1 is roughly four times the distance from us and still calling home. That investigation and comparison alone should warrant some funding to extend the mission.

1. Tom 7

1kps of data is actually a huge amount. The useful baud rate is 1kbps - or about 2Gbps of internet 'data'.

Thumb Down

The useful baud rate is 1kbps - or about 2Gbps of internet 'data'.

That doesn't make any sense.

Baud rate is always order of bps rate. The bps rate is not magically 6 orders of magnitude above (unless you are using millions of distinguishable values, which I rather doubt in this context)

1. P. Lee
              Coat

>>The useful baud rate is 1kbps - or about 2Gbps of internet 'data'.

>The bps rate is not magically 6 orders of magnitude above

Apparently they're using adblock...

2. Pete4000uk

Subspace would be much faster

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

That would attract the wolves.

3. Bleu

Baud rate is not bit rate

Baud rate is the rate of symbols. This is not equal to bit rate in most situations, at the simplest, consider baudot code itself.

Then consider framing schemes, parity bits, start and perhaps stop bits, error-correction codes, the baud-rate is not the bit rate.

Take it a bit further, include, say, quadrature amplitude-and-phase shift keying, one 'bit' period in the stream carries 16 bits on arrival, minus those taken up by any framing scheme.

I earlier found a very irritating thread boosting the Raspberry Pi, the original post was semi-realistic (I do not believe that eleven-y-os are capable of what was described without significant help, maybe they did get it all from people they found through the WWW, and a Pi in a box, with all of the connectors is just a mini-PC), but there was a pile-on of morons claiming ludicrous feats by their *toddlers*, usually grandchilden, two and three y-os, all giving each other massive votes. Pathetic.

Say, I know a one y-o who already writes great code. Srsly want to believe it?

2. Bleu

For Tom 7,

I see what you did there. Agreed.

2. M Bargo
        Pint

Its a simple matter of distance and the available transmit power. But let's buy them a pint anyway.

1. Killing Time

@ M Bargo

I agree, pints for all but the rest of you post is complete nonsense.

If it were a case of distance and transmission power we would still be using 60KW Marconi transmitters with single figure bit rates to communicate across the Atlantic.

3. Eclectic Man Silver badge
      Coat

Slow download speeds? ever used Kermit?

....*......**.................*.........

(I'll get me coat.)

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Spacecraft? Spacecraft.

When I read the probe being referred to as a spacecraft my initial reaction was a kind of 'yeah, right'-smirk. Then I remembered that scene from 'Flight of the Phoenix' where Hardy Krüger explains to James Stewart that the size of the machine doesn't matter - what matters is that the engineering is done properly. Yes, it is a proper spacecraft, and it is going where no spacecraft has gone before, and it is amazing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059183/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

1. DropBear

Re: Spacecraft? Spacecraft.

Upvoted for the Phoenix reference - from the _original_ not the remake, natch.

4. Chemist

Can I just have clarification...

about "maximum velocity of a sheep in a vacuum"

I'd assume that given enough energy the speed would be close to lightspeed. Now I do know (living surrounded by them ) that the average sheep is very unlikely to generate that amount of energy on it's own ( for a 40kg sheep at 99% lightspeed I estimate ~2.2E19 J)

Any farmers or relativists know different ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can I just have clarification...

I'm pretty sure the Reg calculator is wrong. Speed of light is about 3 x 10^8 metres per second, El Reg seems to think it's 3 x 10^6

Either that, or a sheep is limited to 1% of the speed of light - but I don't see any particular physical reason for that.

Either way, New Horizons is travelling at about 0.0048% of the speed of light.

1. ravenviz Silver badge

Re: Can I just have clarification...

Yes, the definition does seem a bit woolly.

5. Steven 1
    Alien

I for one.....

...welcome our new 2014 MU69 dwelling overlords!

6. Your alien overlord - fear me

Intentional for the God loving conspiracy theorists? The first pix is of God's left hand doing a thumbs up. Let's just *hope* it is an artists impression :-)

It's actually the hand of Allen Dulles.

7. lee harvey osmond

That picture of Kerberos ....

it looks like buttocks to me.

Is Pluto mooning us?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That picture of Kerberos ....

Let's us pursue this Rorschach test on the couch over there. If you please...

8. Anonymous C0ward
    Alien

That's

no moon...

9. tony
    Happy

Let's hope Kerberos wasn't placed there by an ancient machine intelligence with an aversion for people investigating them.

Alien

...it would be a lucky hit though.

"Who wakes me .... it's 15 billion years in the morning??? THIS SHALL NOT STAND!"

2. Bleu

If they were an ancient

machine intelligence, they would have had biological intelligent originators.

Although there's bugger all intelligent life here on earth, would they not see us as a vague and unpleasant memory?

At best, worthy of preservation in some kind of zoo.

10. gloucester

Not much of a difference?

"Thursday's burn changed the probe's speed by about 10 meters per second, and by the time the fourth is finished the probe will be going an extra 57 meters per second in the right direction.

That's not much, considering the probe is travelling at 52,304 kilometers per hour, or 0.4846 per cent of the maximum velocity of a sheep in a vacuum. Even so, its next trip will take four years and the probe will flash past 2014 MU69 on New Year's Day 2019, about the time most of us are getting over our hangovers."

57m/s may not be much, but it may be the difference between reaching the target and being about four and a half days late.

11. Bleu

It is a shame

that they didn't have the chance to send NH past one of the larger bodies (than Pluto).

The one it will race past in a few years will probably look much like Kerberos, only less like two snowballs smashed together, and it will be even darker at that distance.

We humans really should get to work on getting outside LEO again, but with the radiation and zero-g problems, and problems on Earth, I doubt if I will live to see it, any more than, perhaps a base or bases on the Moon, a mission to an asteroid, Mars One may succeed in their suicidal plan, that would be interesting, too sad if they do not succeed, I do not think Mars One is going anywhere.

They may make a reality show of their recruitment process, that would turn a profit, although not as much as death on or on the way to Mars.

At least, Mir and the ISS have made a start on the zero-g problems, none of the cosmonauts have been blinded lately, but the one who was, when that problem was discovered, through his experience, probably does not like the result too much.

12. Zmodem

not so bad if you had a rail gun in orbit or electro magnetic pulse propulsion drive

640000000 km = ( ( 397677563.032 miles / 100.000 MPH ) / 60 mins or seconds ) = 66 something

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like