back to article India's mobile operators move to head off dropped-call refunds

India's mobile operators are doing battle against the country's telecommunications regulator over plans to refund customers for dropped calls. If the plan proceeds, from January 1 2016 Indian mobile phone subscribers would get a discount for calls dropped if it's the fault of the provider's network. Only the caller's network …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not like the old days...

40 years ago when I visited India, some businesses would have a man sitting at a desk of phones, attempting to put calls through, because the call connection rate was so low.

2. Syntax Error

Ernst & Young India analyst Prashant Singhal told the newspaper “insufficient tower infrastructure to cater for the ever rising demand is leading to poor quality of service and call drops”.

Says it all really. Telcos not building enough towers.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Indian callers

Any chance I can get a refund for NON dropped calls from Indian call centres?

Especially those "Microsoft" scammers.

4. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Joke

Lead lined?

Silver or copper would shield just that little bit better than lead (better conductivity), unless Indian Telcos use X-rays or gamma rays for communication, which would explain dropped calls: people dropping dead at the other end

</pedantry> ;-)

5. Voland's right hand Silver badge

The old microwave trick

That was tried before (I think One2One or Orange early on). They stopped doing it after finding out that customers started putting the phone in a microwave and closing the door instead of hanging up.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Happy

Re: The old microwave trick

<Clouseau accent>

Ah, the old Faraday cage ploy!

</Clouseau accent>

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Richard Jones 1
      Thumb Down

Re EE

Or just a little way outside the M25 sat at home. The 'mobile service' with no way in house communications.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like