back to article Google, Facebook, Microsoft and buddies stick a bomb under hated CISA cyber-law

Some of the biggest names in the tech industry have issued a public protest against the proposed Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act (CISA) working through US Congress. An open letter protesting the bill was sent by the Computer and Communications Industry Association (CCIA), an industry body whose members include Microsoft …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Good grief that was quick!

It's having a positive effect already!

Cheers for this too Reg, also made me smile:

Rather bizarrely, the Department of Homeland Security came out against the bill in August. The DHS is concerned that all this internet data is going to federal agencies directly, rather than funnelling it through a central database run by, for example, the Department of Homeland Security.

Quality stuff.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: Good grief that was quick!

"Your enemy's enemy is your friend"

It feels wrong saying that the TSA might be your friend...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Good grief that was quick!

Well, it's like Rudolph Hess ringing at the Prime Minister's door for some help....

2. Mark 85

All those against it?

Really.. like they have an interest in our privacy? I'm shocked.

I'll bet the shareholders would be all for it if the government paid them for the data....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All those against it?

No. They have interest in doing business in Europe.

If that bill is voted through, after the ECJ decision they can practically kiss goodbye to the idea of offering USA cloud services to anyone in Europe. The bill specifically makes most of data fair game across the whole of USA government once it has gotten into the hands of law enforcement. This is exactly what was pointed out as illegal and contrary to Eu DPA requirements by the ECJ. It is illegal today, the bill makes it even more.

So one thing is clear, USA lawmakers have no intention of fixing the USA DPA legislation to enable any Safe Harbor like agreement any time soon. In fact they want to make it even more broken.

3. dan1980

"In return for sharing data, the companies receive indemnity against lawsuits for privacy and antitrust laws from customers.

Although lawsuits might be difficult. The bill's language specifically excludes the government from having to reveal what information it is harvesting to freedom-of-information requests, so you'll never know if your browsing habits or online messages are being viewed by government investigators."

Isn't that great? Even if you do managed to bring some kind of lawsuit, if you win you just get your own tax dollars back.

It's fantastic: use tax-payer money to spy on people and if they sue, compensate them with . . . tax-payer money.

One thing I have learned is that if someone comes out and says that there are 'adequate protections and safeguards' then there aren't. This stuff is being commented on by academics and professionals in relevant fields so if the safeguards really are sufficient then you wont have to defend them.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Even if you do managed to bring some kind of lawsuit, if you win you just get your own tax dollars back."

Not quite. If I managed to bring some kind of lawsuit I'd get your tax dollars back. I don't have any tax dollars to pay, just pounds.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Of course they will have protection... in the USA

However, get prepared to be sued left, right and centre in the EU.

4. tfewster
    Facepalm

CISA - pronounced "seizure"?

It seems Congress hasn't heard about the Safe Harbour kerfuffle, or doesn't care about the opinions of the USAs colonies on the European continent. It's like 1776 all over again.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't re-organising fun?

The funny bit is that all the mechanisms to make CISA happen are already in place, they're just a bit disorganised. CISA just tries to align the bits a bit more.

Don't be under the illusion that a defeat of CISA means that what CISA seeks to do isn't already legalised and happening - it's just less organised.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GCHQ and other 5 eye,9 eye and 14 eye countries are deeply worried that they will not be able to outsource illegal monitoriing to the americans.

7. Mystic Megabyte
    FAIL

Dear Google,

I'm UK based and use Gmail, Google docs etc. I also have a Moto G which is synced to all your services. Fairly soon I will be migrating away from you and your products. At the moment I don't have anything to hide but perhaps in the future I may want to support someone who the USA government is not happy with. For example, if Donald Trump* ever became president** that would be any organisation that is critical of him.

As we know, technology is not infallible and cases of mistaken identity have occurred. I do not want to be extradited and sentenced to life without parole which seems mandatory for anyone who rocks the boat.

Good luck and thanks for all the handy searches,

MM

* for the first time in my life I would like to say, "cockwomble". Ooh! I feel so much better now :)

** that would probably indicate that the end of the world is nigh.

8. ArthurHH

Downvote for slagging The Donald.

1. Chika
      Coat

If Donald ever did become president, would that mean that he'd need to produce his birth...

...oh wait. Bill Maher already did that one. Ook.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: ArthurHH

Guessing you're not Mexican then?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Guessing you're not Mexican sane then?

FTFY

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Guessing you're not Mexican sane then?

Ahhh yes, you're right. Yours trumps mine. ;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon