back to article So, GDS saved Brits £1.7bn through 'digital transformation'. Sure about that?

Claims that the Government Digital Services saved the taxpayer £1.7bn during the last Parliament through "digital transformation" have been repeated so frequently of late, it seems the figure will go down as the main business case for the body's existence over the last Parliament. This is particularly true with the exodus of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Enough is enough

As far as Joe Sixpack in the trenches of Govt IT is concerned, GDS have been an immense aggrevation to no benefit. No doubt many 10s if not 100s of contractors have made-out like gangbusters.

1. msknight

Re: Enough is enough

Have a +1 from elsewhere in the trenches.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Enough is enough

As far as Joe Sixpack in the trenches of Govt IT is concerned, GDS have been an immense aggrevation to no benefit. No doubt many 10s if not 100s of contractors have made-out like gangbusters.

The problem is that you have not one but two camps who are their own worst enemy when it comes to such projects. Few IT people know how to deal with the politics enough to stop them from risking a project (and that includes getting political people to say "yes" or "no" when speccing the whole scope because they have been trained from in the egg* never to say anything definite), and generally don't have the power to tell people to kindly f* off when it goes off-spec because their bosses get paid regardless (the IT people don't - they're the cannon fodder that gets ritually sacrificed sacked when the project inevitably fails).

On the other side, few politicians can resist meddling in the project instead of leaving it well alone because they want the publicity and glory for as long as it appears the project may actually deliver (which, ironically, they endanger with their involvement). Every time they come anywhere near a project it makes a mess of the deliverables, because what they say in public is usually dreamt up on the spur of the moment, but after it has been said it will somehow have to be added into the deliverables, even if it is total BS.

* Egg, because they are genetically closer to lizards IMHO.

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Lies, damn lies and (politicians) statistics

3. BearishTendencies

Indeed.....

Not as good as Crown Commercial Service savings though.

My favourite of theirs....

"As digital services are generally a new service with no previous spend to compare against the benefit methodology is to take an average of all bids under the tender and compare to the winning bid."

Irrespective of market rates or proper benchmarking, we add 'em up, divide it and take away. Savings guaranteed!

4. Just a geek
    Black Helicopters

The NAO keep on pointing out IT cockup after IT cockup, they need to be careful or they'll find themselves outsourced to a more "MP face saving" organisation......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The NAO keep on pointing out IT cockup after IT cockup, they need to be careful or they'll find themselves outsourced to a more "MP face saving" organisation......

That already happened, but in a different way. For a time, the NAO were led by a "former" board member of the very consultancy they were supposed to audit, which naturally led to complete impartiality. That the consultants on the major project they were running were briefed in advanced and the use of "auditors" that were barely out of school were, of course, entirely coincidental, and so the project got a solid "pass" - you will never spot dirt if you employ people who you can direct not to lift up the carpet.

I'm amazed no journalist spotted it at the time, but to be fair, it was too easy to spin to get a good grip on it. What they should have done was interview a number of junior project members privately and ask them why they had been drawing payment for sitting on their hands for weeks instead of doing something else, and what they did about it. That would have been interesting to watch..

Oh, the project? Why, that got scrapped. Or did you expect a less predictable outcome?

5. SecretSonOfHG

Innocent minds should ask, where are those 1.7bn?

Have they savings been translated into less taxes? Early amortization of government debt? If the answer to the former two questions is no, then where has this money been used? More or better services or infrastructures for the citizens?

We should start asking those hard questions. It is too common to hear of IT projects with "business cases" delivering huge savings, and if that's true or not when it happens in the private sector, it is their own business (however shareholders should ask the same questions) after all. But it is about time to provide total transparency in how public money is handled <sarcasm>If only technology allowed for that....</sarcasm>

6. David Lewis 2
    Unhappy

Or In Simple Terms

So politicians lie?

I shocked. Shocked I tell you.

7. teebie

"savings through various areas, such as [...] flogging off property."

I'm not sure that counts as a saving (especially not in cases wherethe property is rented back), a better description would be 'selling'

8. Wibble

Save here, loose there...

Given the amount of work that's gone abroad to the lowest bidders who just say yes, there must be quite a drop in tax paid by UK contractors who've been replaced with Jonny foreigner.

1. whyowhy

Re: Save here, loose there...

The comment touched on something I have never seen a full audit of - the cost to the country of outsourcing aboad. I can certainly see where there are some advantages to a departments budget of outsourcing but to the country as a whole? Just consider the wages & tax (income, corporation & VAT) - of a £1b contract outsourced to say India how much is lost when compared to not outsourcing

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"a charity working to increase government effectiveness". Jesus wept...

10. Orwell

I've had a particularly good year: I've saved £435,098 by not buying that Ferrari that I've always wanted.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Even cost savings from closing down sites have been exaggerated. A lot of the sites are still open, and GDS figures don't stand up to close scrutiny. A lot of the numbers are just guesstimates and they omit lots of hidden costs of keeping separate web teams running in government departments and agencies, as well as ongoing contacts with suppliers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like