back to article How French spooks can silently command Siri, Google Now on phones

A group of researchers from the French government's Network and Information Security Agency (ANSSI) have found a way to silently and wirelessly inject voice commands into unlocked iPhones and Android gadgets. The technique, detailed in a paper published by the IEEE, requires the devices to have a wired headphones plugged in – …

1. Old Handle

Hmm?

Unless someone left earphones plugged into the phone while not wearing them, wouldn't they hear the commands too?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm?

They're inducing a current in the signal wires via a radio frequency signal and relying on the non-linear characteristics in the microphone pre-amp to do the de-modulation.

Nothing new there, and I have experienced the phenomenon myself.

The signal is waay too weak to drive a 16ohm earphone/headphone speaker, but they only need a few millivolts swing on the microphone line.

1. Ragarath

I think that he means that they will hear Siri / Google respond to the command. Not that they would hear the command itself.

In this case though you may think that Siri/ Google picked up something from the surroundings. It would cause you to look at what is going on though and this could make the attacks more effective for certain scenarios. Evil marketing being one sending texts to a premium text number also (though the looking at the screen would not help this)?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The signal is waay too weak to drive a 16ohm earphone/headphone speaker, but they only need a few millivolts swing on the microphone line."

Doesn't the iPhone amplify mic signals and feed them back to the headphones? I don't know, just asking, but certainly other phones and landlines do this.

2. MrDamage Silver badge

Engage a decoy.

Have them stop the target to ask for directions, seen a lost dog, hey werent you in my class at highschool etc to get them to remove the headphones and keep them occupied long enough for the attack to occur and any subsequent confirmations of the voice commands to go unheard.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely thwarted through the use of a ferrite bead on the signal line and a capacitor across the microphone connection?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Surely thwarted through the use of a ferrite bead on the signal line and a capacitor across the microphone connection?"

Yes, I sure every potential victim also happens to be an electronics expert and wants to solder components onto their phone.

I would suggest a simpler thwart would be to unplug the headphones if not using them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My point being, the solution is cheap.

The capacitor should be present anyway for EMC purposes, but probably omitted in the race to the bottom.

Ferrite beads can be picked up cheaply from most electronic stores, and can be installed by a non-technical user easily: they just clip around the wire.

Heck, you could make a plug adaptor that embedded a small low-pass filter and an on/off switch for the microphone. Very difficult to hack that via induction. Could be mass produced for about 50c/unit.

3. TheresaJayne

Of course "Hey Siri" only works when the iphone is plugged in and at all other times you have to press and hold the home button so unless this hack can press the button to activate siri it would only work where someone has their iphone plugged into power.

1. sjaddy

Actually on the 6s - Hey Siri works anytime - doesn't need to be plugged in anymore. Admittedly it narrows down the devices that this can be done on but is feasible with everyone clamouring to upgrade.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not very practical

On Android you'd have to have Now set to listen on any screen, not just the search one. And even though you have headphones on, somehow miss the initial beep, and any subsequentbeeps/acknowledgments/prompts that follow most queries. And not look at the phone's screen. It's an interesting attack, but not very practical - which is presumably why it's being revealed to mere citizens rather than reserved for use by the State.

5. The Mole

Other attacks

Is this attack fundamentally linked to their being a microphone amp/long antenna in the circuit or could it theoretically be deployed against other types of cable (usb cables etc)?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Other attacks

It's specific to a wired microphone. It relies on the length of cable to perform radio induction on the microphone wire that the phone receives and interprets as voice input. I think the only reason this works is due to its simple, analog nature. Attempting to induce a high-bandwidth digital connection is more likely to just corrupt the signal. Besides, USB3 cables are supposed to be shielded.

6. Bc1609

A more interesting use of this technology

Is surely to broadcast sounds that will be replayed by the headphones. One of the many things I dislike about commuting is having to listen bad music being played by strangers through (predominantly Apple-brand) terrible headphones. I would love the ability to replace their craprap with, say, the Horn Concerto in E Flat. Or, if I were feeling mean, Barry Manilow.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A more interesting use of this technology

simpler thant having to listen to tinny 'C'rap (and that current pitiful apology for proper R&B, or that wailing that seems to pass for singing) would be to broadcast a 1Khz tone at around 120Db.

mind you about 50% of those targetted probably wouldn't notice the difference because their hearing has been just about destroyed by all that incessant Bass Beat.

2. Someone_Somewhere

Re: A more interesting use of this technology

That was already a commercial product years ago. Can't remember what it was called or who manufactured it, because I don't live in the U.S. and so simply noted that it was interesting but legally unavailable to me, remembering the phenomenon, not the details, I'm afraid.

But: you plug(ged?*) the little broadcast unit into the headphone socket of your Apple device (iPod/iPhone/whatever) and whatever you're listening to stomps all over the other Apple devices within range, obliging everyone else to listen to whatever you want to inflict upon them.

--

* I don't know if it's still availabe these days.

1. Bc1609

Re: SomeoneSomeone

Well, if you can remember anything else about it at all (I'm drawing a blank on Google at the moment) I would be very interested... Purely for research purposes, you understand.

1. Someone_Somewhere

That's all I do remember, I'm afraid and if you're having trouble tracking it down, I wouldn't hold your breath for anyone else to; it took me ten years to find a reference to something that was a well known children's TV program simply because no-one had previously bothered to mention it online since 'online' existed.

IF I find that I saved any info on it, I'll let you know but, again, I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you: even if I did, that info will be on a harddrive in another country and I have no idea when I'll next be in that country and able to even look for it, never mind find it.

I'd suggest having a look at Amazon (U.S:), Radioshack, that kind of thing - googling "iPod broadcast antenna" might get you a result but I imagine it'll be like looking for a specific needle in a haystack of identical needles.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I think it was manufactured by Griffin. Can't remember the product name though

7. TheProf
    Devil

Not very practical

If it means walking around with a huge clumsy backpack on then the attacker is going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Oh wait, never mind.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not very practical

A Yaesu FT-857D and a 9Ah SLA battery would fit in a laptop bag. The only tricky bit would be the antenna.

I know this thing is capable of inducing current in a microphone feed, as that is the present problem I am battling with my bicycle-mobile amateur radio station on HF: the transmitted signal getting into the station microphone.

8. Anonymous Custard
    Mushroom

Possible application?

So if it could be miniaturised, could we have something that would have Siri/Google Now issue a nice loud "Oi twat, look where you're going!" into the headphones for times when you have oblivious cretins wandering along so wrapped up in their music often plus facebook or whatever that they are entirely unaware of the more mundane things around them like other people, traffic and things they're about to walk straight into?

Or is that just taking away too many Darwin Award candidates to be fun?

9. jzl

Luckily they're French

So the attack will be thwarted by their accents.

'allo Sirrreee, open ze mep...

10. sequester

Balanced audio interlinks

It's not a new thing, but now it's a security feature too!

11. James 36

Optional

google CESG and TEMPEST

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like